Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#63271 - 12/26/06 06:52 PM sorry im a NewB.. and thinknin of buying this unit
bocapimp Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: South Florida
Im just wondering if 90% of my sources are only HDMI and this unit doesnt support it what am i to do? everyone tells me that the 990 is the best audio pre amp out there, but its missing the 1080p side, so is there something else i can buy to do the video side of a pre amps job? to support the 1080p of my sources? (ie... projector,bluray,hdvd,ps3,xbox 360) ?

#63272 - 12/26/06 07:23 PM Re: sorry im a NewB.. and thinknin of buying this unit
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The 990's DVI switching will work with 1080p HDMI video, it just won't get the audio from HDMI (which actually only comes into play with Blu-ray or HD-DVD, and even then only really makes much difference if you dn't have multichannel analog output on the player or have something else using the multichannel analog input). I've got an HDMI FAQ in my sig with a good overview of the situation with HDMI.

What's your equipment list? You mention a projector, Blu-ray and PS3 (separate units or the PS3 for BR?), HD-DVD, and an Xbox360. If we have a full list, we can tell you what limitations you might run into with the 990 - and what limitations you might be anticipating that the 990 can actually do just fine.

#63273 - 12/26/06 07:29 PM Re: sorry im a NewB.. and thinknin of buying this unit
bocapimp Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Equiptment List

Projector : Vpl-Vw50 (sony pearl)

Sources :
Sony BDP-S1 (bluray Stand Alone Player)
Toshiba HSXA2 (demo unit)
Sony PS3
Xbox 360
HTPC (comming soon, prolly going Cellar Cinemas)
Buttkicker LFE

Amp : ATI-2007

Speakers : Klipsch THX ultra 2 system

#63274 - 12/26/06 11:46 PM Re: sorry im a NewB.. and thinknin of buying this unit
gonk Offline
Desperado

Nice array of hardware. The ideal scenario is something with at least four HDMI v1.1+ inputs so the BDP-S1, HDXA2, and PS3 could send audio and video through HDMI with one input to spare, but that's hard to get. An HDMI v1.1 or higher receiver/processor will give you the greatest flexibility, but those are just beginning to emerge. There are a growing number of receivers around, but about the only HDMI v1.1 processors are Anthem's AVM50 and Statement D2 (don't know if the AVM40 has materialized yet, and the couple other truly HDMI v1.1 processors are at or above the AVM50's price range). Short of that, the 990 is going to be similar to any receiver or processor, although the DVI switching actually gives it a slight advantage. For what it's worth, here's one possible way to use the 990:

The HDXA2 and BDP-S1 both have 5.1 analog outputs, but of the two I'd probably use the HDXA2's SPDIF output and leave the 990's 7.1 Direct input for the BDP-S1 (since the Toshibas have a well-regarded high bitrate DTS output for the new formats). I'd also use the two DVI inputs of the 990 to switch the HDMI output of the BDP-S1 and HDXA2 (so both Blu-ray and HD-DVD have fully digital signal paths to the Pearl). The game consoles and HTPC can then go component through the 990, with optical or coaxial digital audio connections. Obviously there are variations on this theme, depending on which sources are seeing the most use - if the PS3 is getting used all the time and the HDXA2 only runs every couple weeks you might let the PS3 and the BDP-S1 use the two DVI inputs, or if you are watching BD movies in the PS3 as often as you do in the BDP-S1 you might use the two DVI inputs with the HDXA2 and the PS3...

#63275 - 12/27/06 12:09 AM Re: sorry im a NewB.. and thinknin of buying this unit
bocapimp Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

so are u saying that the 990 might not be for me?.. i mean i would like to have everything used at its highest quality, and not have to suffer, but my budget wont allow for a Anthem Product right now.. there way way to pricey.. and i need 7.1 sound from what ever i buy. Is it possible i should get the 990 for AUDIO, and then get a video processor for the video imputs?

what about ADCOM? http://www.adcom.com/prod/shopdisplayproducts.asp?prodid=1150

that unit has 3 HDMI and supports 1080p

OR

what about teaming the 990 up with a DVDO iscan50 HD video processor that can handle the HDMI inputs.

http://www.dvdo.com/pro/pro_isvp50.php

#63276 - 12/27/06 01:20 AM Re: sorry im a NewB.. and thinknin of buying this unit
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
bocapimp,

I too have looked at the how to use my 990 for audio and use a video processor when 1080p plasmas and come down in price and there appears to be a winner between BluRay and HD-DVD. The MSRP on the dvdo iscan50 is $3,000 though I have seen an e-bay price of around $2,500. So if you want to let the $1,100 990 handle the audio and use the iscan50 for video you'd spend about $3,600 and all your 1080p sources can feed their best video to your projector. You will also be able to upconvert other sources (VHS, 480i DVD, etc) too. However, I don't think you will be able to take advantage of the new audio and video formats that will come with HDMI 1.3. That problem would be partially solved when Outlaw offers up a pre/pro that can handle the full potential of HDMI 1.3 audio and pass through the new video (Deep Color?). If your sources are all 1080p (or they upconvert) then you'd be done. If you want to upconvert other sources you may also have to upgrade (software or hardware?) the iscan50. If Outlaws track record repeats itself a new HDMI 1.3 pre/pro would be significantly less money than the competition with equal or similar preformance. For example, the 990 is now favorably compared with the Anthem AVM30.

With so much in uncertainty over high def DVD format and the timing of implementation of HDMI 1.3 I've decided to stay on the sidelines for now. You have certainly embraced the new HD video standard (nice selection of gear!) and I think the 990 can be a relatively inexpensive, but terrific option to consider for audio until things become more standardized. Just my 2 cents...

Enjoy your search!

#63277 - 12/27/06 01:56 AM Re: sorry im a NewB.. and thinknin of buying this unit
bocapimp Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I just want the very best with in budget,becuase this is a dedicated room, and all the 1080p hardware i have. I forgot to mention i have some good friends who own a cinema store and i can get the DVDO for cheaper (about $1500) then the $1100 for the 990, so we are talking $2600 for the set, as long as its going to work the way it should, i think it owuld be a good match up..

any thoughts on the Adcom 870 HD Unit?

#63278 - 12/27/06 02:08 AM Re: sorry im a NewB.. and thinknin of buying this unit
AvFan Offline
Desperado

I can't offer any opinions on the Adcom.

The 990 and the iscan50 would be a very nice solution now and you can make a decision later if you want to upgrade gear for HDMI 1.3.

Your decisions are made easier by having friends in the right places!

#63279 - 12/27/06 02:18 AM Re: sorry im a NewB.. and thinknin of buying this unit
bocapimp Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

i dont think that 1.3 is going to come on so strong so quick, becuase u gotta realize that even SONY just relaised there bluray player this month, and toshiba finally is releasing ther 1080P HD player all on the what we call old HDMI systems. I mean yes i kno its comming but i dont think the change is going to take effect that fast, maby im just being stupid about that, but i think i have a feeling a push back on 1.3.. yes i go to Cedia and CES so im putting some of that knowledge behind it.

DVDO is a good company, they offered there 30 memebers a upgrade to the 50, so if there is a 60 unit for 1.3 there will be a cheaper upgrade option, and the 990 im hoping they offer a upgrade to.. who knows.. only time will tell..

but back to my audio problem..

so u think i should def go with the 990 & the Dvdo 50 combo and i should be good to go.. ? I know a couple people on the AVS forum with the 990 and there very very happy. I think im just stuck on the fact that i have to use 2 units to do the job that 1 should do, but i guess it might be better for the 1080p devices to have there own passthru insted of a 1 unit all in one..

#63280 - 12/27/06 08:53 AM Re: sorry im a NewB.. and thinknin of buying this unit
gonk Offline
Desperado

The arrival of HDMI has been an absolute mess, and HDMI's decision to roll the standard out and then issue significant changes via new versions has been instrumental in the mess. HDMI v1.3 is overhyped in many ways, but the surround processor manufacturers have almost all elected to wait to incorporate full HDMI functionality until v1.3 is available because the market demands it (even if v1.1 would work just as well for all intents and purposes) and the companies making surround processors can't afford the cost of developing a major product like a surround processor only to have the consumers ignore it because it has the old version.

The Adcom processor uses HDMI v1.0 - which means that it will pass PCM stereo on to your video display (which is useless with the Pearl) but it will not get audio of any sort from the HDMI connections. You might check with your local Anthem dealer to see if they have the AVM40 available yet - it's a grand cheaper than the AVM50 and offers four HDMI v1.1 inputs. If that's out of your budget, here's another thought: take the audio side of what I described earlier with the 990 (5.1 analog from the BDP-S1, SPDIF from the other sources) and get a separate HDMI switcher to handle all three HDMI video sources. It's not as convenient as using the 990's two DVI inputs from the standpoint of having the switch operate automatically, but it would let you use the HDMI from all three of your HDMI sources. A 3x1 HDMI switch with remote control or even a 4x1 switch with remote could be combined with a good universal remote to be pretty user friendly. Until companies have time to get HDMI v1.1+ into surround processors, we're all stuck having to either work around it or spend more than we want to get everything in one chassis.

#63281 - 12/27/06 08:50 PM Re: sorry im a NewB.. and thinknin of buying this unit
bocapimp Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

well.. i pulled the trigger.. ordered the outlaw 990 & the new radiient tech. 4 switcher, handles 1080p in and out, and is even HDCP certified and ready.. one of the only switchers that will work with my HTPC and cable connection. (comcast)

dvdo was not needed, no need for a scaler when im starting out in 1080p on everything.. made a couple of calls and bam found the switcher that works with my HTPC (cellar cinemas 696)

hopefully everything will come in soon and i will let you all know how its working out

#63282 - 12/27/06 09:53 PM Re: sorry im a NewB.. and thinknin of buying this unit
AvFan Offline
Desperado

It sounds like you found a good solution that will work with all your great gear. I think you will enjoy the 990; I continue to enjoy mine. I'm looking forward to hearing how everything works out for you.

Enjoy!

#63283 - 12/28/06 12:24 AM Re: sorry im a NewB.. and thinknin of buying this unit
gonk Offline
Desperado

Should be a nice setup, boca.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 259 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM