Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#62850 - 11/22/06 04:47 PM upgrade?
evan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: ny
I really want to upgrade to a 990, but I do not know of I should wait until someone gets the hdmi 1.3 thing straight and if outlaw will come out with a new 990 model with this feature,

any input?

#62851 - 11/22/06 05:30 PM Re: upgrade?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
There is a chance that we'll see HDMI v1.3 on processors by the end of 2007, based on a few comments around here from folks who talked to Outlaw customer service, but with so much of the industry focus on getting HDMI v1.3 transmitters available (for the PS3 and the HD-DVD or Blu-ray players) rather than v1.3 receivers (needed for receivers and processors) and with the development time involved in a product that complex I still suspect that it could be early 2008 before we see an HDMI v1.3 surround processor in the Outlaw price range (or possibly any price range). Outlaw will offer HDMI v1.3 processors at some point, probably by mid-2008, since that is what most consumers are going to be desperately looking for in a new surround processor. It may not happen much sooner than that, though.

Is it best to wait? That's a very personal choice. You can choose to buy now and sell your 990 a year and a half from now (or sooner) to help pay for an HDMI v1.3 product, in which case you will probably recoup a significant chunk of your $1100 investment. You can choose to buy now and keep it for years to come, using the DVI switching to handle HDMI video and using SPDIF or multichannel analog audio for any HDMI sources. Or you can choose to stick with what you have until something new arrives, which means not making a chance to your system for very possibly 12 to 18 months. None of those choices are inherently wrong or inherently right. It all comes down to what is the best fit for you.

#62852 - 11/22/06 06:37 PM Re: upgrade?
evan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: ny
thanks, I guess from what you are saying I will be able to use the multi channel instead of the hdmi for audio if bluray or hddvd takes off, That I could deal with

Who's Online
0 registered (), 222 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM