Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#62765 - 11/18/06 03:23 PM Phantom mode for center channel
Craigo87 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Camano Island, WA
Hey Outlaws,

My 990 just arrived an hour ago and I've just finished speed reading the Owner's Manual. I currently do not have a center channel speaker for my surround sound setup. I plan on sending the center info to my Magneplanar 1.6QR mains. I do this with my old Carver Surround Sound processor with Phantom mode. I couldn't find any reference to it in the Outlaw manual frown . Please tell me how to do this. I can't believe it's not a feature of this unit. I could have sworn I'd heard someone else talking about his setup in this configuration.

Thanks,
Craigo
NEC XG110LC CRT projector
Hafler SE240 pwr amp(2)
Hafler DH220 pwr amp(2)
Magnepan 1.6QR mains
Snell Acoustics EII surrounds
Magnepan SMGc rear surrounds
Velodyne CT150 sub
Panamax 5510 ACRegenerator

#62766 - 11/18/06 03:41 PM Re: Phantom mode for center channel
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Go to the "Speaker Size" menu and set the center channel to "none" instead of large or small. This will tell the 990 that there is no center and that any center channel data (such as in 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS soundtracks) must be steered to the mains. It's not described as a phantom center, but it does exactly the same thing.

#62767 - 11/18/06 04:45 PM Re: Phantom mode for center channel
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
And I, as an owner of the same speakers you have, can tell you it works very well with music - I get a very satisfactory stereo image spread right across from one speaker to the other. The dipole radiation of the Maggies is a big help there; I can walk up almost to my plasma video screen, i.e., at the plane of the Maggies, and still hear the music spread in front of me. Mono material, e.g., announcer voices on FM, is fine as long as you're in the middle but off center it jumps to the nearer speaker. I think "phantom center channel" would do the same with mono stuff. Of course you can do a lot to correct any off balance sound from your listening position with the channel balance procedure on the remote control. Let us know how you like the 990 with the Maggies (what's in between), but I think you'll be very pleased.

#62768 - 11/18/06 05:49 PM Re: Phantom mode for center channel
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
"What's in between" was a dumb question - I see you have Hafler amps. I envy you the surrounds - I have none yet but hope to get a pair of MMG-Ws next year. Funny thing is that on some DVDs my wife and I both hear distinct surround effects, even behind us, with just the MG1.6s. "Monsters Inc" was amazing.

#62769 - 11/18/06 06:06 PM Re: Phantom mode for center channel
Craigo87 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Camano Island, WA
Thanks gonk and Psyprof1,

Yeah, Magneplanars are amazing when it comes to imaging. I'm going to use my SMGc's in the rear surround position. I still have to wire the rear of the room for sound however. I'll post my impressions as things come together.

thanks again :p ,
Craigo
NEC XG110LC CRT projector
Hafler SE240 pwr amp(2)
Hafler DH220 pwr amp(2)
Magnepan 1.6QR mains
Snell Acoustics EII surrounds
Magnepan SMGc rear surrounds
Velodyne CT150 sub
Panamax 5510 ACRegenerator

Who's Online
0 registered (), 239 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM