Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#62622 - 11/06/06 11:46 AM Front Right channel louder then left channel
ericdwong Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Maryland USA
I was playing with my system and found something alarming. I did some trouble shooting and have narrowed it down to the Outlaw.

I thought it was the source, but then changed sources. Using different modes, stereo, bypass, dolby pro logic, dolby digital etc the right channel was consistently louder then the left by about 3 dB to 6 dB. It does it with the computer, CD player, DVD player, satellite dish (all fed digital) as well as the FM tuner.

I first noticed this when using the balanced XLR outputs to feed my experimental home theater system (I'm using pro audio amps) which have signal lights on them. The right side is consistently louder then the left, with the right signal lights lighting up before the left. The entire sonic image is shifted to the right as well.

I swapped the channels at the back of the amplifiers and the louder channel reverses, thus the problem is before the amplifiers.

I've tried making sure the levels were not skewed on the setup menu as well.

I'll go home and try it out with the unbalanced RCA outputs as well but was hoping to get some ideas here.

#62623 - 11/06/06 11:55 AM Re: Front Right channel louder then left channel
Hullguy Offline
Desperado

Loc: South Weymouth, MA USA
You can change the signal levels leaving the 990 through the on screen menu. It's described how to do it on page 30 of the manual. You'll need a SPL meter. Jim

#62624 - 11/06/06 12:16 PM Re: Front Right channel louder then left channel
ericdwong Offline
Gunslinger

This is correct I have a SPL meter, and an RTA. However I don't want to do such a patch permanently. The signals leaving the 990 should be correct, not bandaged using the speaker calibration menu. I'll do it as a temporary fix, but definately dont want to leave it permanently if there is an issue with the processor.

#62625 - 11/06/06 12:36 PM Re: Front Right channel louder then left channel
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Had you calibrated the system previously and had this change take place later? Are there any differences in the cables being used such that one might have more resistance than the other? Presumably your channel swap would have uncovered differences in the sensitivity of the two amps or their signal meters.

#62626 - 11/06/06 01:24 PM Re: Front Right channel louder then left channel
ericdwong Offline
Gunslinger

I recalibrated the system as soon as I put the new amps in. I have 3 different pro audio amps, all with signal meters that all do the same thing. From weakest to strongest: ART SLA-1, Peavey CS-1200H and Crown Macro-Tech MA5000VZ.

Cables are XLR 25 foot balanced cables I use in my pro audio rig.

I almost wonder if one of the pins on the XLR is not outputting a signal.

I should mention using PA speakers with horns and high sensitivity, the low level thermal noise when putting head to speakers is louder on the LEFT speaker then the RIGHT speaker. If one of the left speaker's XLR pins was not working, this would not only explain the loss of 6 dB, but also the increase in noise since it no longer has a true balanced signal.

If this is so, my posting should be worded "left channel quieter then right". I'll have to do more testing...

BTW here is a before and after picture of the setup:
Before:

After:

Rears:

#62627 - 11/06/06 01:44 PM Re: Front Right channel louder then left channel
gonk Offline
Desperado

Noise from the left speaker and a ~3dB drop in signal strength does make a case for trying to change out the left channel's interconnect to see what impact that has.

#62628 - 11/06/06 11:17 PM Re: Front Right channel louder then left channel
ericdwong Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk you're a genious, it was the interconnect. I did some more swapping. Then swapped out that cable altogether. I checked for continuity with a multimeter, it looked OK, but dang I guess my test equipment wasnt sophisticated enough. No matter, I properly labeled the cable and put it to the side. Connected another cable and voila, it works fine.

I plan to try to see if there is anything I can resolder etc, if they don't work that cables gettin trashed.

I thought my Outlaw was broken. Good, this saves me alot of headache.

#62629 - 11/07/06 07:35 AM Re: Front Right channel louder then left channel
gonk Offline
Desperado

Ah, that's good news! Sick cables are much less stressful than sick electronics...

Who's Online
0 registered (), 256 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM