Quote:
Originally posted by AvFan:
I really like my M&K's (see my signature below). They get kudos for their subwoofers and their satellites are terrific. The best description I can use for M&K speakers is that they are accurate. Nalod makes an excellent recommendation to call Barry Ober at M&K. For example, Barry was very helpful with the questions I had about speaker placement. I got the impression he was more interested in getting the setup correct in my room and educating me versus selling M&K products.

The knock against M&K is they can be a little difficult to find in retail stores and slow to fill orders. For example there is only one authorized dealer in the greater San Diego area. However, they do sell direct on-line and I had good experience when I bought my 851s on line (discontinued color at a big discount). Also, enough M&K speakers have been sold so various models regularly show up on ebay and Audiogon. My only recommendation is to listen to M&Ks with their higher performance tweeter (it is square). IMO it is better than their other tweeters.

Most of all, enjoy your search for speakers.
AV,

I started with getting LCR 850's in cherry with black grills on Ebay factory fresh all three for only $800! Then I got a cherry VX850 woofer, also brand new for $550! I thought I was on my way to bargain city as I bought Matching 650's in cherry for $500 bringing in the system for under 2k and feeling good about myself!! ha, the 650s were black and got returned. Then I got with barry and he was great. I had ordered online some real small 25 tripoles and was lookig to add more for 7.1. Instead he talked me into returning them and just get the CS surrounds and go with a better 5.1.

I was planning to get a 970 and a 7125 or a Denon 380.. The I kept reading and thought the 990 was much better. Then in my feeble mind I was thinking why buy a 7 channel amp, just get a 5! So Losing my mind I have a 7500 that I damm near broke my foot getting in the house tonite. Oh, darn that SMS-1 looks so cool, hey why not one of those! And look, the New LFM-1plus is even better than my LFM-1 and that should go in the pool room, so if I order the SMS combo, its only 499! Oh, I need balanced cables, thats $200! From Outlaw, they come in a beautiful zippered virgin plastic case I can display them in . They are really pretty, and heavy! I am worried thieves are not going to steal my equipment, its the darn copper in the cables im worried about. Whose gonna run off with my 250 lb Aconda? or my 80lb amp? And those darn heavy cables!

Oh, I need some new cables, better call Blue jeans, I need three of those, 100 feet of that, two of those, three of that. Oh $hit, thats $400 more in cable.

Man would SACD sound nice! Hey, the oppo what ever only costs $150! But the proper cable is $130! whats up, I spend almost the same on a got damm cable than the player!

Bought a line conditioner on E-bay, It should work right? Just light up and look good!

She asked me if this was gonna be harder to turn on than the last system and my response is to now investigate a universal type remote!

Next time someone should tell me to budget $1000 just for cable and a remote!

I lost my mind! My Wife said don't tell and she won't ask! She kinda knows, but asked me if you spend all this jack at outlaws do they throw in a t-shirt or hat? "Bitch!"

Electrician coming over on saturday to hook up a 20amp line for it. Just to be safe.

I am excited! I just wonder what the hell I am forgetting.

Got a few SACDs on order plus the latest Animusic!

Oh, gotta pay for it!

Gonna have fun this weekend!

I wonder how those M&K's are going to sound?

Oh yeah, Im a big fan of them and have some other of their stuff in the house. Trolled E-bay for two years until some wood veneer 850's came on.

And to think I considered a bose lifstyle system a few months ago! Plug in and 15 min later your ready to go!
Lfm-plus
MK Vx850 sub
velodyne Sms-1
MK 850 LCR
MK CS surround
Outlaw Balanced Cable (ouch!)
Lots of Bluejean fancy cables
Oppo SACD/DVD-A
38inch Loewe Aconda
Panamax 500
Monster Power 3500