Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#62379 - 10/22/06 09:19 PM No sound from 990
Dr. Z Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Southeast
I have a 990/7125 setup and have replaced my samsung dvd palyer with the Oppo 941. I have had a problem with the audio since I started using the Oppo...1. while watching a dvd the volume suddenly increases and continues to intermittently increase with no remote being used(I thought it may be the IR repeater so I unplugged it with no effect on this situation)2.when changing volume levels with remote the level will initially respond but if you try to decrease the volume by pressing the "decrease" button the volume actually increases. The same response occurs when I turn the manual knob. I have also noticed that the 990 will sometimes respond to the remote and sometimes it will only after pressing the remote multiple times( I have also changed the batteries in the remote). I have unplugged the 990/7125 from the outlet for five minutes and tried again and now there is NO audio from any source dvd, fm tuner,etc....HELP...thanks

#62380 - 10/22/06 10:40 PM Re: No sound from 990
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I don't have any definitive suggestions, but I've got plenty of questions - maybe some will help...

Do you have any devices around that might produce IR signals, or anything connected to the 990's RS-232 port? That might help explain the unrequested volume changes.

Are you using the 990's included remote, or are you using a third party remote? (If it's a third party remote, the volume problem could be related to the way the volume commands were learned.)

The sluggish responsiveness suggests problems with the unit receiving IR. If there's an IR repeater attached and the unit can still see signals directly from the remote, the two nearly simultaneous signals could confuse matters a bit.

As for the complete lack of audio, I've got a couple possibly odd-ball thoughts. First, there should be a red indicator on the front panel immediately to the right of the input label - that's the indicator that says the main zone is active. If the mute button is held down for several seconds, the main zone is shut down and the headphone output is engaged. The even more odd-ball thought is to make sure the amp (or amps) is on.

#62381 - 10/22/06 11:21 PM Re: No sound from 990
Dr. Z Offline
Gunslinger

1. Using the original remote 2. Nothing connected in the RS-232 port 3. IR repeater is unplugged now 4.I think that the red indicator is on but I will have to check that out..How do I cancel the headphone if it is on? 5. The amp has it's blue power indicator on...Let me know what you think...Thanks Gonk...DR

#62382 - 10/22/06 11:23 PM Re: No sound from 990
Dr. Z Offline
Gunslinger

One more thing...we do have an xbox 360 which is wireless but these weird volume changes occur with and without the xbox on...it really seems to ahve no effect...thanks

#62383 - 10/22/06 11:30 PM Re: No sound from 990
gonk Offline
Desperado

Looks like my suggestions all bombed. If the red indicator isn't on, just hold down the mute button for a few seconds until it comes on. Failing that, I'd suggest bring Outlaw in on the problem. They've got a good tech support team.

#62384 - 10/22/06 11:45 PM Re: No sound from 990
Dr. Z Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk...boy am I dumb...you were right...it was the headphone mode...now sound is again great...Any other ideas about the mystical volume changing.....by the way I just tried the remote and the manual volume knob and everything seems to work fine..thanks for your help...DR

#62385 - 10/23/06 12:13 AM Re: No sound from 990
gonk Offline
Desperado

Don't sweat the headphone problem - it's not something many people are aware of, and even having chased it down before I found myself scratching my head once a couple months ago after holding "mute" down while my daughter spun the volume dial with reckless abandon. smile

The volume changing is definitely odd. I've heard of some plasma TV's interfering with IR signals, but not of them or other components generating signals. Do you have an RF-to-IR device in the system anywhere?

#62386 - 10/24/06 06:38 PM Re: No sound from 990
jmillerc2 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I am having a similar problem with my 990 as Dr. Z. The volume controls of both the 990 and my Harmony work fine as long as I don't have my IR emitter system connected and point them directly at the 990 itself. If I connect them and use the remote emitters, things go haywire. Either no response or no response and then a sudden increase or decrease in volume. Other controls seem to work fine on the 990 and my other devices are fine, too.

Outlaw has suggested I use Xantech's 794-10 with my current Xantech 791-44 to plug the IR directly into the 990 to avoid the IR signal bouncing around or whatever it's doing. Has anyone done this? Does it work?

I've tried just isolating the emitters signals from one device from the emitter in front of the 990 and that did not help, which surprised me.

#62387 - 10/24/06 07:47 PM Re: No sound from 990
gonk Offline
Desperado

Somebody else recently reported using the Xantech 794-10 with good results. I'm too cheap - my 990's sensor is screened by the door of teh entertainment center, so I use an emitter stuck to it.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 166 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM