Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#62298 - 10/18/06 01:19 PM What do you not like about your 990 or wish it had?
stom_m3 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Let me preface this with, this is not meant to be a hate thread.

I am in the market for a new pre/pro and amp. And actually I'm building a new system from the ground up. With all of the various technology going around, I'm trying to figure out what I need and don't need. I started looking at the many $3000 pre/pros such as Rotel RSP-1098, Arcam AVP700, Anthem AVM30, NAD M15, NAD T163 and Parasound 7100 but can't figure out why I would need these over the very reasonably priced Outlaw 990. So I wanted to see what other people had to say about the 990 that were in some of these other pre/pros out there. Thanks for the help.

#62299 - 10/18/06 02:34 PM Re: What do you not like about your 990 or wish it had?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It's a good question!

I'd love to have transcoding of analog video to digital video so I could just use the DVI monitor output all the time, even though I recognize exactly why it couldn't be included in the 990 (and why it's not on any other currently-available surround processors except for the Anthem AVM50 and Statement D2 that contain full blown video scalers).

As with many units on your list, the included remote is a fairly basic universal (the same model as provided with the Anthems and the Arcam), which makes it worthwhile to shop around the a third-party universal remote that you like (either Universal Remote, Harmony, or Pronto probably).

If you want to get really nit-picky, I'd like to have the "MUTE" indicator that appears on the front panel display be shifted to just cover the digital input and leave the active input label visible, and I'd like to have a way to find out exactly what the incoming signal format is (mainly how many channels are included in the Dolby Digital or DTS bitstream, since I can tell already whether it's PCM, DD, or DTS).

As for other features that are present or not, a look at my SSP chart doesn't bring anything to mind. There's the always-popular HDMI v1.x support that is still largely absent from surround processors (and likely will be for another year or so, even though the big corporations' receivers are already starting to offer it), but if anything the 990 comes closer than most thanks to the DVI switching that gives full support for HDMI video switching...

#62300 - 10/18/06 03:51 PM Re: What do you not like about your 990 or wish it had?
David291 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Maryland
More DVI inputs. I could use two additional inputs, for a total of 4.

And it would be nice if they were HDMI instead of DVI, but that's really no big deal.

I echo the request that it tell me the channels present on the DD/DTS input stream.

#62301 - 10/19/06 10:45 AM Re: What do you not like about your 990 or wish it had?
stom_m3 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the input so far.

Gonk - Nice chart. I don't suppose you could update it with the Rotel RSP1098, NAD M15 and Parasound 7100.

#62302 - 10/19/06 12:45 PM Re: What do you not like about your 990 or wish it had?
tweeterman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Winnipeg, CANADA
I don't own the 990, or any Outlaw equipment but if wishes were easily granted I would like:

A more attractive and functional front panel. I like the layout of the Sherwood P-965 and would like to see a similar design with hidden door to functions and also add a row of direct source selection pushbuttons incl 7.1 direct. I would pay up to an extra $10-15 % for that on the unit cost.

Also HDCD decoding would be nice but wouldn't pay too much extra for it. Maybe 5% more.

Ability to configure preset input levels on all sources.

#62303 - 10/19/06 06:06 PM Re: What do you not like about your 990 or wish it had?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I used to have the Rotel 1098 on there and took it off for space. I try not to make it too much wider than it already is, and there wasn't much info at hand about the NAD Master Series or the new Parasound Classic stuff when I did the last update.

#62304 - 10/19/06 07:15 PM Re: What do you not like about your 990 or wish it had?
MikeLi Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: West Coast
I can't think of much of anything I would change. I run all video to the video source anyway so HDMI or DVI does not matter to me.
The auto set up could be improved just a bit as my sub and back surrounds always require a bit of tweeking which is no big deal. How about a seperate adjustment on the remote to turn the gain on your sub.

#62305 - 10/20/06 04:13 PM Re: What do you not like about your 990 or wish it had?
HitchHiker Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Delaware
Aside from the absence of HDMI switching and HDMI audio support, I'd very much have liked the 990 menu display functionality to have worked with the DVI output and not just the component/s-video outputs. Means I had to run another 20+ foot cable to my Z4 FP that I had no use for other than to display the 990 on-screen menu system.

HitchHiker

#62306 - 10/20/06 08:45 PM Re: What do you not like about your 990 or wish it had?
tmdlp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big D, Tx
Storm_m3,
I'm really happy w/ the 990 - dvd, XBOX, analog, upgrade ability thru software ...and most importantly - the sound. If i where to really nit-pick - 2 items:
1) a front pannel that dims....
2) a little front panel display (somekind) to run setup menu's.

#62307 - 10/20/06 09:42 PM Re: What do you not like about your 990 or wish it had?
Darth Tater Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: South Carolina
I love my 990, but I really really really wish it had:

Dual component video outputs. I run the component output to a projector, and I have a regular TV for when I don't need or want the projector on, like when just watching regular TV or having TV on in the backgroud. I have to run s-video from my Tivo straight to the TV, and my Xbox requires the projector because it's component output only. I'd like to run component to two different displays.

Display dimmer. Self explainatory.

Other than that, there's nothing I miss!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 339 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ Yesterday at 03:13 AM