Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#62024 - 09/18/06 02:58 AM 990 speaker delay/ speaker position
conextions Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Maryland
What would be better overall: to have the front three speakers the same distance away from the tv or to have the center aligned with the tv and the main left and right out farther into the room with the 990 delay to compensate for the difference. I am trying to get a good balance between 2ch listening and home theatre and to position the mains for 2ch listening so the speakers interact with the room at a minimum. I came across George Carda's website and he has a interseting/mathematical way of postioning the speakers.

From Cardas website:
"When you use this Golden Ratio method to set your room up, the speakers are placed so the three nodes progress or differ from one another in Golden Ratio. This eliminates any unison or near unison resonance in the nodes. Most box speakers radiate low frequencies in all directions thus a formula that places the speaker to rear wall distance at 1.618 the side wall distance should be used.
Speaker placement, simply stated

The distance from the center of the woofer face to the side walls is:

Room Width times .276 (RW x .276)
The distance from the center of the woofer face to the wall behind the speaker is:

Room Width times .447 (RW x .447)
This is all you need to know to place speakers in a symmetrical, rectangular room! "

With my room width of 13ft 1 inch the mains would be 3.6156 ft from the side wall to woofer center and 5.8557 ft. from the woofer center to the wall behind. With the postions of the mains like this the center is atop the tv angled down at the listening postion. Listening position from the mains is 5.9 ft - same distance between two front speakers and distance from center is about 11 ft since it is on top of a 60in rear projection Hitachi.

Sorry for the long post but would this be a good idea or should I try to keep the front 3 speakers on the same plane. I've tried to read up on this online but could not get a good answer whether or not keeping the front 3 on the same plane is important. So many options and experiments in this passion of ours :rolleyes:

Any comments or advice much appreciated.
Outlaw LFM1 and LFM1plus
Outlaw SMS-1
Alegria Audio LCR speakers
5 ch. system

#62025 - 09/18/06 07:28 AM Re: 990 speaker delay/ speaker position
grimster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Somewhere in Virginia
In my opinion, which of course are like A-holes, some of us let mathematics control our lives. My opinion, let your ears do the talking and let mathematics go a walking. I've always toyed around with positioning of my speakers and placement was made on what sounded the best.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 174 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM