Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#61929 - 09/05/06 07:21 PM sacd audio
titleist Offline
Gunslinger

Received my 990 on Friday. 7125 will arrive on Fri just in time for the weekend. Question..I have a basic sony progrssve scan dvd player that also plays sacd. Initially my purchase was going to be used for movies but I found myself buying 6-8 sacd over the last few weeks and have really enjoyed the sound. When I had that dvd player hooked up to my 1070 I had the coaxial connection for movies and 5.1 analog connections for sacd. I had to go to the 1070 menu and change the input to analog. I'm no pro so any advice you may have in terms of hooking up my sacd player would be great. What mode is best..2 channel stereo...bypass...5 channel??? I would like to get some suggestions to see what I might like the best. I really don't know all my options...Thanks

#61930 - 09/05/06 09:43 PM Re: sacd audio
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Connect the six-channel output from the Sony to the 7.1 direct input on the 990 - that's the only way you'll get audio from SACD's (the digital output is completely dead with SACD's, at least with my Yamaha universal player - not even a downmixed stereo signal). With the 990, the 7.1 Direct input is a completely separate input, so you'll use DVD for watching movies and 7.1 Direct (labeled "7.1D" on the remote) for SACD's. There's no need to go into menus (for that matter, I believe there's a workaround that doesn't require menu tinkering for the 1070).

#61931 - 09/06/06 04:16 PM Re: sacd audio
barend Offline
Gunslinger

I might add that when at least one speaker is set to SMALL the 990 switches bass management to ON (and doing so converts the analog inputs to digital, and back to analog later of course).
I'm not sure if it's possible to do this just for 7.1 and keep all speakers LARGE for other modes.
You can't set BYPASS for 7.1 input.
Most receivers and processors only offer DIRECT, effectively taking the analog inputs direct to the volume pot, as in BYPASS.
I could not find a way to disengage A/D'ing and DA'ing for 7.1.
Or maybe my oversight?
Still, the SACD sound from the 990 is really magnificent, with a lot of deep space, great clarity and velvety treble.
I'm a real SACD nut (I love all these little companies taking over the torch from big guys like Sony (one of the inventors!) who declared SACD dead by stopping releasing SACD's.
I have a few hundred SACD's and love the sound!
Let's hope American company Telarc will keep the flame burning too!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
scoooter 2
butchgo 2
Veeper 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics