Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#61902 - 08/28/06 07:51 PM no sound from center?
RJW Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mckinney, TX
I have no sound from my new center channel. I onluy have two large L and R and the new center as I am piecing the system together as funding allows.
The L and R are set to large as they are big, the center is set to small and 80 x-over. I have the power connections right. Must I run the setup feature to get sound from the new center. I didn't intend on it until the other speakers arrived.
Suggestions?
Thanks!

#61903 - 08/28/06 08:14 PM Re: no sound from center?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It sounds like you've made sure that you have the pre-amp outputs from the left, right, and center connections to the amp and have the speakers connected to the amp. Make sure that you have the fronts set to large (which you have to do anyway since you haven't got a sub at this point), the center to small, and the surrounds, back surrounds, and sub set to none. While you're in the menu, stop through the "Delay Adjust" menu to set the distances from each speaker to your listening position. At that point, you can use the channel calibration's test tones to make sure that you have the three channels connected correctly and to adjust the three so they are outputting at the same level.

#61904 - 08/28/06 09:10 PM Re: no sound from center?
RJW Offline
Gunslinger

ok, i went through as you said and there is no sound through center while DVD playing. I did ge tthe test tone through the center so I know its working?

#61905 - 08/29/06 12:12 AM Re: no sound from center?
Skyblazer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Spokane, WA
are you listening to a stereo audio signal? so there would only be a left and right channel? if that's the case.. there won't be a center channel audio.

Sounds like you may have hooked up your DVD player with RCA interconnects or have it down-mixed audio for only stereo listening. go into the DVD menu and fix that. change it from stereo to DD. and use a digital connector cable from the DVD player to the 990.
Parasound P/HP-850 2 CH pre
Pioneer PL-530 TT
Polk Audio SDA 2B
NAD 2600A amp
Danger Boy here

#61906 - 08/29/06 06:04 AM Re: no sound from center?
RJW Offline
Gunslinger

ok, the Oppo DVD is conected to the Outlaw via an optical for sound and DVI for video. I have accessed setup for the Oppo and set downmix to 5.1 and still no center channel sound. The 5.1 is supposed to go over the optical output and NOT the analog correct? I thought the analog was for DVD audio discs.
Now, I have gone into the input config for the Outlaw under DVD and swicthed from optical for sound to analog and now I have no sound at all.

#61907 - 08/29/06 07:20 AM Re: no sound from center?
gonk Offline
Desperado

If you got a test tone, then things are hooked up correctly. The Oppo does need to be connected with a digital cable (optical in this case). Setting the 990 to analog will cause it to try to use the stere analog input, which is not connected to anything. Leave the 990 set to use the optical, then make sure that the Oppo is set to output audio as bitstream (or raw) and not PCM. Also make sure you are playing a 5.1 soundtrack and not a Dolby 2.0 soundtrack. Once you've done those, if you still don't get anything from the center, make sure you aren't using a processing mode that steers everything to the left and right channels only (such as Dolby VS or Stereo) - press the Dolby button on the remote until you see just Dolby Digital.

#61908 - 08/29/06 02:10 PM Re: no sound from center?
RJW Offline
Gunslinger

Success! I went into input config for DVD on the 990 and had surround set to stereo. Stupid. I switched it over to DD and now it works!
Thanks to everyone for the help.
Finding and reading this forum was the deciding factor in my purchase of an Outlaw 990. Being a newbie, I knew I would have many questions and need assistance in order to utilize this product to its full potential.
Thanks!

#61909 - 08/29/06 02:53 PM Re: no sound from center?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Glad to hear you got it working!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 251 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM