Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#61600 - 08/06/06 07:52 AM Re: Hooked up, having problems with 990
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I wouldn't worry about that, grimster. They'll get you fixed up.

#61601 - 08/06/06 08:15 AM Re: Hooked up, having problems with 990
grimster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Somewhere in Virginia
I'm sure they will, I just hate the thought of having to pay to have the 7700 sent back, that could hurt the wallet.

#61602 - 08/06/06 10:35 AM Re: Hooked up, having problems with 990
grimster Offline
Gunslinger

Okay, very good news I guess, the 990 is setup finally. I could have sworn the manual said the OSD would pass threw the component cables. I finally found a composite video cable long enough and ran it from the composite out of the 990 to the composite in on the projector and everything worked fine. Still have a bad 'unbalanced' connection on the amp but the 'balanced' connection on that channel works. Ran the setup and everything sounds amazing. Looking forward to playing with it some more. So, does the OSD work with just components cable hooked to the projector or do I have to have a s-video and/or composite cable run also. Thanks for everyones help.

#61603 - 08/06/06 10:47 AM Re: Hooked up, having problems with 990
grimster Offline
Gunslinger

This is what the manual says and I quote:

"To use the OSD, the units must be connected to your display device using either the COMPOSITE VIDEO OUTPUT or S-VIDEO OUTPUT jacks. You may also view the OSD using the COMPONENT VIDEO OUTPUT, but the picture may blank temporarily when you activate the menu system. If both s-video and composite video signals are input into the Model 990, the OSD can be viewed only through the S-VIDEO OUTPUT jack".

Did I just misunderstand what I read?

#61604 - 08/06/06 10:53 AM Re: Hooked up, having problems with 990
Laventura Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Montréal,PQ
Hi Grimster,
I don,t know about the 990's OSD, but on my 1070, the OSD will go through the component monitor output...if and only if the signal is 480i...anything higher and the OSD won't pass...all you need to do to check this...is to select a video source that goes in to your 990 with S-video or composite (not component, unless you can turn off the progressive-scan feature on your source)...select the component input on your display...your 990 will upconvert the signal to component (480i)
et voilà ! cool
The OSD should be there...
and you can eliminate a few cables
Good luck with the minor woes...
remember... time cures all ills... wink
Outlaw 1070-Mirage M-290(main)+MCC(center)+Omnisat Micro(sides) nanosat(back)+ +PS12-90(sub)-Technics SL-5 turtable+Cambridge Audio 540P-HTPC - SamsungDTB-H260F HDTV tuner - Optoma HD 20 +100' Draper screen -lots of spaghetti and toys

#61605 - 08/06/06 11:36 AM Re: Hooked up, having problems with 990
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The 990 and 1070 differ on this one a bit. Both units will transcode composite and s-video inputs to component output (including any OSD menu or information pop-ups generated by the unit on those input signals), so that you can access the OSD menu from the component output. The 990 will do one additional thing, however: on component inputs, it will replace the incoming signal with a black background and display the OSD menu on that background. One kicker with any of these scenarios - both units handle transcoding to component by producing a 480i signal, and the 990's "black screen" OSD menu on component inputs is also produced at 480i. This was actually my first suspicion (back in the second post of this thread), but I didn't pursue it far enough: if your display device won't accept 480i component inputs, it won't be able to display either the transcoded composite and s-video signals or the "black screen" OSD menu.

Here's a test to confirm whether your projector can accept 480i: set your Denon to interlaced (so that it produces a 480i output) and see if you can get a picture on your projector. You can actually leave the video switching through the 990, since it won't change anything about the signal anyway.

If your projector does in fact refuse to display 480i, you may want to consider the small TV monitor that others with projectors have used. That'll let you get into the 990's menus and even preview sources (assuming you run some composite cables from those sources so the composite monitor output has something to work with).

#61606 - 08/06/06 07:51 PM Re: Hooked up, having problems with 990
cappra Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Glendale, Arizona
I have a projector as well and to keep from turning it on and off (which is very bad) I have a tiny 5 inch tv that has a composite input and just run a composite cable from the "video monitor output" of the 990. Works great as you usually should not have to access the menu after making your basic settings.

#61607 - 08/07/06 05:51 AM Re: Hooked up, having problems with 990
barend Offline
Gunslinger

My experience with several Denon/Arcam/Marantz receivers' OSD is as follows:
Component overlay is often flaky, which is why I always use a dedicated S-Video cable to my scaler (because my DVD etc. also run directly to the scaler I do not need the receiver's switching capability).
Just for viewing setup there's no pic quality issue.
Also, I found the pic jumps a few times when the overlay engages and disengages, which I found a nuisance while viewing and just changing volume.
So unless you really want the overlay I'd suggest feeding the pic directly to the TV or through some switch or scaler, not through the processor.

#61608 - 09/13/06 09:49 PM Re: Hooked up, having problems with 990
Miscanthus Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, MS
Quote:
Originally posted by grimster:
Okay, got the 990/7700 combo hooked up this morning and I'm having some problems. When I push the menu button on the front of the pre/pro and or the remote control to set the system up, it doesn't seem to do anything. I'm not getting any OSD either, I'm using component video cables out of the pre/pro only. I've done a system reset which requires you to hold down the "enter" key and the "menu" key at the same time which tells me the menu key does work. Is it possible that when I did the software update that maybe something went wrong? Could really use someones help bad.
this is exactly my probem and I have even reset my system as well. My tv is a 50" samsung plasma.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 174 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM