Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#61580 - 08/05/06 10:20 AM Hooked up, having problems with 990
grimster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Somewhere in Virginia
Okay, got the 990/7700 combo hooked up this morning and I'm having some problems. When I push the menu button on the front of the pre/pro and or the remote control to set the system up, it doesn't seem to do anything. I'm not getting any OSD either, I'm using component video cables out of the pre/pro only. I've done a system reset which requires you to hold down the "enter" key and the "menu" key at the same time which tells me the menu key does work. Is it possible that when I did the software update that maybe something went wrong? Could really use someones help bad.

#61581 - 08/05/06 10:34 AM Re: Hooked up, having problems with 990
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The component video cable should give you the OSD as long as your display's component input supports 480i resolution (the resolution at which the 990 generates the OSD). The Sanyo appears to support this resolution - the review at Projector Central mentions viewing 480i sources, at least.

The essential first things to check: make sure your component cable is connected to component monitor output of the 990, and make sure the projector is set to the corresponding input.

#61582 - 08/05/06 10:40 AM Re: Hooked up, having problems with 990
grimster Offline
Gunslinger

Everything is hooked up correctly

#61583 - 08/05/06 10:57 AM Re: Hooked up, having problems with 990
grimster Offline
Gunslinger

This really sucks, why can I not get into the menu to change my settings.

#61584 - 08/05/06 11:21 AM Re: Hooked up, having problems with 990
gonk Offline
Desperado

Do you have any video sources connected (component, composite, or s-video)? If so, try flipping through the inputs to see if any show up. I think the default settings for DVD, Video1, and Video2 use their respective component inputs, and composite or s-video inputs would be transcoded to component.

EDIT: Also, I noticed in this review that the Sanyo has two component inputs. Any chance it got switched to the wrong one?

#61585 - 08/05/06 12:34 PM Re: Hooked up, having problems with 990
grimster Offline
Gunslinger

I have tried switching threw the inputs and I get nothing on any of them. As far as the projector goes, nothing has changed on that. All the wiring for the projector is in-wall and basically I just have to plug into the wall with the component video cables from the mon. out on the pre/pro. Just so darn aggrevated because I can't do anything that involes using the menu button.

#61586 - 08/05/06 01:05 PM Re: Hooked up, having problems with 990
gonk Offline
Desperado

Hmmm... Lemme run through the things that I would try if I were there, in case any seem useful.
  • Double-check all connections to make sure that cables are run to the correct ports on the 990 (including red, blue, and green for the three component connections) and that the connections are tight.
  • Toggle between the two component inputs on the projector to be sure nothing's gotten turned around there.
  • Try connecting a source to the Video5 input using either composite or s-video (I forget which is the default, so I'd try composite first and s-video if that didn't work). If the 990's switching is working properly and the projector is on the correct component input, you should get that video signal through the 990's monitor output.
  • Hook a spare TV up to the composite monitor output of the 990 to get access to the menu OSD for troubleshooting purposes (so that you can properly configure the inputs you're using and start to eliminate - or identify - possible problems). Some people with projectors elect to pick up really cheap TV's for this sort of duty anyway, since it allows them to perform certain basic tasks without putting hours on their projector's bulb.
  • Move the component cables from the 990's monitor output to the Denon's component output (again, as a way to help eliminate possible problems).

Obviously some of those would be last resorts, but those are the sorts of things I'd try if I were in your shoes.

#61587 - 08/05/06 01:18 PM Re: Hooked up, having problems with 990
grimster Offline
Gunslinger

Pretty much did all of the following, as soon as I hooked up the component cables directly back to the Denon DVD player, what do you know, I have a picture again. I think something is wrong with the 990. The remote really doesn't work well the the 990 also.

#61588 - 08/05/06 01:34 PM Re: Hooked up, having problems with 990
gonk Offline
Desperado

If you hadn't already mentioned using the front panel MENU button, I'd suggest making sure that you press "TNR" on the remote first and that you use the button beneath the "9" on the remote (there's also a button near the navigation pad with a "menu" label, but it's a secondary label and that button accesses tone controls on the 990).

#61589 - 08/05/06 02:02 PM Re: Hooked up, having problems with 990
grimster Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk, just about everything you have suggested has been done. I just finished swaping out my Denon receiver with the 990 pre/pro and everything works beautiful again. I honestly beleive something is wrong with the 990 as far as passing video signals and allowing one to access the menus to setup the system.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 174 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM