Well, I finally bought the 990 after much research and questions answered here on this Outlaw forum and some influential input. My story... I was kidnapped, and held at gunpoint until I hit the "enter" key to order, and by whom....GONK. I AM JUST KIDDING, please. I am fortunate to have met the "infamous GONK", as I too live in Memphis, and I can tell you that the only thing that surpasses his knowledge and willingness to help is, His Character. This forum and Outlaw should consider themselves very fortunate indeed to have him.
The 990, right out of the box, I ran into some difficulty with setup and all, I will skip that since I am a newcomer to HT from 2 channel, and have experienced a huge learning curve. DVD concerts and movies blow away my older NAD pre/pro. Fuller-MORE Detailed-a more emcompassing sound, simply enjoyable. I am still tweaking with the cd side of things, as that is my main interest. But with GONK's help I have gotten it pretty close and intend to do serious testing this weekend. All and all, a great piece of equipment so far. I had family in this past 4th, and the sound was a big hit.
If the music meets the standards of my NAD pre/pro, still using a NAD amp, I will be keeping and officially become an Outlaw.
More later and thanks for reading.