Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#61113 - 07/01/06 07:50 PM Sub Settings
Scottflhr Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Well i got my Speaker calibrated with help from people on this forum.

Now i will have to mess with the SUB and i know someone on here could help me with that to.
I have a 200W AudioSource 15" Sub.
My Main Speakers have Frequency Range of 70Hz-20Hz. My back Speakers have a range of 45Hz-30kHz. and Center Range is 58Hz-30kHz.I set the crossover on the 990 at 120Hz mains and all others set 100Hz. So do you think the crossover on the 990 should be set lower on any of these speakers?
I have the volume knob on the Sub set at half way. So where should be the starting point i set the Crossover Frequency on The Sub.

Thanks Scott
BG Radia X3 Rear-BG Radia X1 Center
APC H15 Power Conditioner
Oppo DVD OPDV971H
Panisonic 42"HD Plasma

#61114 - 07/01/06 08:32 PM Re: Sub Settings
stickpony Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Seattle, WA
Sub calibration can be complicated. confused

If you really feel like geeking out on it, here's a quite lengthy Subwoofer Setup Guide posted on the AV123 forum that you may find useful. I can't vouch for its effectiveness though. I've been too lazy.. uh.. I mean busy to try it, but other people seem to think its pretty good.

For the quick, dirty, and lazy man approach: grab a THX certified DVD and run the frequency sweep, sub calibration test in the THX optimizer included in the extras. This was suggested to me by Jason J in this thread and it worked very well for me. Fast, simple, and effective.

Regarding your crossovers, they seem reasonable given your speakers. I'd suggest trying a uniform 80Hz all around and see if that sounds better or worse than your current settings. I think the best way to get it right is just to experiment for awhile until you find what sounds best.

Anyway, good luck with it and have fun! :p

#61115 - 07/01/06 08:40 PM Re: Sub Settings
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
Scott,

Outlaw recommended that I set the sub's crossover well above the 990's crossover points for the speakers. If I understand it, the 990 handles all crossover duty and setting the sub's crossover higher than the 990's speaker crossover settings gets the subs electronics out of the way.

Do you have access to the response curves for your speakers? If so, you want to set the crossover above the point where the speakers start to roll off. If not, you could try the mains at 80Hz, the back speakers at 60Hz, and the center at 80Hz. With higher crossovers you rely on the sub to produce what could be directional sounds. Give a number of crossovers a try and see what you think.

For the sub I'd use the test tones first and then do a lot of listening with music you know and set it accordingly. Follow up with movies that have a lot of bass/LFE. You'll eventually find the right setting. I'm sure other Gunslingers can offer a more scientific approach to setting the sub. Enjoy!

#61116 - 07/01/06 09:06 PM Re: Sub Settings
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If you can disable the crossover on your sub, I'd recommend doing so - the 990's bass management makes it unnecessary. If you can't disable it, AvFan has exactly the right idea: set the sub's crossover as high as possible to keep it from interacting with the 990's crossovers.

I'd start with a crossing the mains over at 80Hz or 100Hz, the back speakers at 60Hz, and the center at 80Hz. Once you do that, play with a few movie passages that you're familiar with - you may want to tinker with the crossovers for the mains and center a bit to find a comfortable balance. The goal is for the transition from speaker to sub to be as seamless as possible.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
scoooter 2
butchgo 2
Veeper 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics