Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#60988 - 08/21/06 02:07 AM Re: Bass Management Setting for Analog Inputs
noeldg Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Middle East Region
Hello Again,

Finally decided to get the 990/7125 combo,a friend of mine will facilitate the ordering due to some delivery/ordering restriction where i am staying.Hopefully it will be here soon.
I just want to ask some questions though.
With my existing HT system all speakers are set to small and LFE "on".
For CD i use the analog input and use "direct stereo",with this setting only my Front speakers are working "full range" and sub is disable.

Is this the same as the bypass mode on 990 when using CD(analog input).From the manual as i understand "bypass" route sound to Front speakers and sub-woofer if front is set to small.

Is it possible to set different speaker size say;on CD (FL and FR "large" no subwoofer) and DVD (all speakers small and LFE on)?

A friend of mine has a Rotel RMB-1098 and he could do different speaker size setting for direct CD and DVD,we have the same floor standing speakers from Axiom and i like to listen to it without the subwoofer.

Your suggestions and opinions are highly appreciated.

Thanks and enjoy listening to music!

#60989 - 08/21/06 01:26 PM Re: Bass Management Setting for Analog Inputs
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
You're understanding of the 990's behavior is accurate: when mains are set to "small" and analog bypass is enabled, the 990 sends full-range data to the mains but also makes a copy of that data and sends it to the sub.

One thing that might be worth tinkering with is setting the mains to "large" with a crossover set to around 40Hz or 60Hz (depending on which floorstanding Axioms you have) and the sub set to "L/R+Sub". This will cause the 990 to always send full range data to the mains, but when digital bass management is active it will also send a copy of the low frequency data from those channels to the sub. The crossover point would take some tinkering, since you'd probably want to get it low enough for the speakers to be rolling off naturally. This scenario would give you "large" mains, though, which means that the analog bypass mdoe would not involve the sub at all.

#60990 - 08/22/06 12:18 PM Re: Bass Management Setting for Analog Inputs
noeldg Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Dear Gonk,

I would try that once i recieve the 990 with my Axiom M60ti (sorry forgot to mentioned) and see how it works.
I haven't think it that way,but it was a very good suggestion.I will post the result again once i got the 990.

Thanks for the reply...all the best and enjoy your music.

#60991 - 08/22/06 12:24 PM Re: Bass Management Setting for Analog Inputs
gonk Offline
Desperado

Let us know how it works for you - I don't think it's an approach that has been widely used, but it could work well for folks if the right crossover point is used. For the M60, I'd probably try both 40Hz and 60Hz (the -3dB point is 37Hz, so they'll definitely be rolling off naturally with a 40Hz crossover such that there wouldn't be much of a double bass issue, but the 60Hz would provide a little bass reinforcement that could work well too).

#60992 - 09/19/06 06:29 AM Re: Bass Management Setting for Analog Inputs
noeldg Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hello,
Finally got my 990 and hopefully the 7125 in next few days.I check the firmware version of the 990 and it's 3.07.04.I guess this is not the latest,i believe there is a latest version than this one.Isn't it that the Outlaw should update their unit with the latest firmware before selling it to customer?

Anyway i can do the firmware update it's not an issue.I have downloaded a 3.11 release,is this correct.
Thanks in advance for your reply.

Noel

#60993 - 09/19/06 07:45 AM Re: Bass Management Setting for Analog Inputs
gonk Offline
Desperado

You are correct that the firmware on your unit is not the latest. The 990 would have had the latest firmware available at the time installed at the factory, but then it had a month or more of travel across the Pacific, some time cross-country, and then probably a bit of time in the warehouse waiting to be sold. Updating the firmware in that case would require unboxing each unit at the warehouse.

#60994 - 09/20/06 05:23 AM Re: Bass Management Setting for Analog Inputs
noeldg Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hello,

Already updated the FW of 990 and upon display i could see the FW version is 3.11.04.It did'nt even take time to do this.Yes i agree that i't might be difficult to update a FW in the warehouse but i think Outlaw is not even checking the unit before shipping to customer.Mine arrive although in good condition but there is no main remote included.Have to inform them and recieve the remote after a week.It would be nice to recieve a "new" unit with the latest FW.

Hopefully by weekend i could start my initial test...still waiting for the 7125.

Cheers,

Noel

#60995 - 09/20/06 10:35 AM Re: Bass Management Setting for Analog Inputs
Bobbski Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Illinois
Hi--
I just got a Denon 1930CI and the only way I could get the SACD part to work was through the 7.1 Direct inputs (I have a 5.1 speaker setup). I use the optical ports for all other audio inputs.

The audio settings in the 7.1 Direct menu are disabled (I guess when they say Direct means direct after all), so I don't know what type of levels are being produced or how they can be adjusted, other than to say it sounds great as is for now.

There's also level, delay, and cutoff settings (all my speakers are set to small) on the DVD side, and for some reason, the cal test signal only produces audio from the left and right front speakers (no center, rears, or sub). But I can change these settings here that function just fine in actual use.

But after only spending a little time, I'm amazed at the difference over the old Sony 5-disc changer in both video and audio quality--it's like a new toy altogether. Now to get all the settings into the remote, and dig a little deeper to figure out how to get the best settings done.

#60996 - 09/20/06 06:31 PM Re: Bass Management Setting for Analog Inputs
gonk Offline
Desperado

SACD can only be output via analog (hence the need for the 7.1 Direct connection) because of format restrictions. I recommend that you still use the optical output for CD's and DVD's, which you're already doing. The 990's 7.1 Direct input does not allow any surround processing, but assuming you have speakers set to small the 990 will apply all of its bass management, channel delay, and channel trim settings to the 7.1 Direct input. As a result, it is best to leave all similar settings in the player "disabled" (so speakers large, sub on, delays for 0 feet, trim at 0dB) so that these adjustments only occur once.

#60997 - 10/05/06 05:55 PM Re: Bass Management Setting for Analog Inputs
noeldg Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

hello again,

finally got the 7125 and started connecting it wih the 990.I haven't been home yet where i have to install my new system to my friends home and use his speakers for testing.He has a rotel rsp-1098,rmb-1095 and rmb 1080.The speakers we use are all from Axiom M80,vp-150,qs8 and ep500 set up in 7.1 channels.
Our first impression is very good,sound are very detailed and so far we have not heard any difference when listening to music or watching movies with his Rotels.
Just have one question,if i set 990 with 7.1 speakers would the 990 automatically use the surround mode e.g. DTS+plIIxmovie or dolby digital+plIIxmovie instead of DTS/Dolby Digital(5.1) only?This is not a big issue for me but if my wife is using my system she doesn't like pressing many bottons just to watch movie.
I know that Rotel can do this,maybe Outlaw too? or maybe i just miss something...too excited to set it up.

As of this time still enjoying it,this gear is really moneys worth a big step up from my Yummy 2400 and B&K AV6000.

I would appreciate any comments from guys out there.

Thanks!
Noel

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 339 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ Yesterday at 03:13 AM