Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#60816 - 06/09/06 01:25 PM 5-ch stereo and bass level
Otto Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Longmont, Colorado
Hi there,

I get way too much bass in 5-ch stereo mode. I understand this is due to the sub output accounting for all the bass that's going to the "extra" three speakers (C,SR,SL). Anyone have a good workaround for this? It's just so much, even at mid-level volumes.

-- Otto

#60817 - 12/30/06 04:17 AM Re: 5-ch stereo and bass level
robwas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Spotswood, NJ
I get the same result in 5 ch stereo, way more bass than any other mode. I too would like to know if there's a solution and also why this occurs (I saw you understand why but I still don't get it)

Thanks,

Rob

#60818 - 12/30/06 02:39 PM Re: 5-ch stereo and bass level
Lonster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Eureka CA.
Are you guys using full size (large) speakers for your fronts and rears? I am, and I have no problems with too much bass in 5 ch. stereo mode.
What's your setup?

Lonster

#60819 - 12/30/06 04:16 PM Re: 5-ch stereo and bass level
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
I also get about double the bass in 5-channel stereo. My speakers are all set to small and crossed over at 80Hz. I recall a post a few months ago that noted why there was increased bass. Hopefully, the Gunslinger (Gonk?) that figured it out will let us know why you get so much more bass in 5-channel stereo. It is a little annoying but I adjust my sub down on the rare occasion I listen to music in this mode.

#60820 - 12/30/06 05:11 PM Re: 5-ch stereo and bass level
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The why is pretty well established - the original left and right signals get copied around to the center and side surrounds (and rear surrounds for 7-Stereo), then each channel gets bass management applied. At that point, the two channels that would normally yield a sub signal end up being five or seven signals, and those signals are summed together for the sub. The result is the sub getting more emphasis.

A workaround is something that I don't have as obvious an answer for. Having either mains or surrounds set to large (like Lonster) would eliminate the problem, but unless you really have large speakers it'll put you at a disadvantage in other modes. I asked Scott about applying the two-channel sub offset to these modes, but he indicated that it was problematic from a programming standpoint.

#60821 - 01/06/07 09:29 PM Re: 5-ch stereo and bass level
getech Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oakland, CA
It's always nice to have a quick adjustment on the fly when you switch to 5 channel. Take a look at the Velodyne SMS-1 offered here (I also have them at rather unbelievable prices, private message me for more pricing). It allows you to adjust by way of a preset remote control or you can remotely adjust the volume of your sub. No going to the back of it to turn down, no finite adjustments through your AV reveiver or prepro.

In my opinion, this is a must have for any HT.

#60822 - 01/06/07 10:15 PM Re: 5-ch stereo and bass level
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Oh, come on, Gregory - I agree that the SMS-1 is a great tool (as my review would suggest), but trying to sell them in Outlaw's forum is just wrong (both because they've asked the users not to buy and sell gear here as I've told you on three occasions and because Outlaw sells them as an authorized online Velodyne dealer ).

Who's Online
0 registered (), 251 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM