Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#60746 - 06/05/06 05:16 PM Resolution of component outputs?
Darth Tater Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: South Carolina
I'm trying to figure something out here about the component video outputs.

I'll simplify my setup here...I have a progressive scan DVD player hooked up with component and a Tivo hooked up with S-video. I have component video on the output.

On my projector, which supports 480p, everything is great.

But when I move the component video cable to my standard def TV, nothing works...not even the Tivo which is connected with S-video to the 990. I expected the progressive scan dvd not to work, but why would the Tivo not work? Does the 990 upgrade this to a 480 signal?

The DVD also does not work if I change it to interlaced. The Tivo does work if I connect an s-video to the 990's s-video output.

I know this is not a problem with the 990, but an issue with using a standard def TV or something..I just don't know that much about the video end. I'm an audio guy smile

What I'm getting at here is this...I have my projector and I want to add a TV for secodary viewing using a component video splitter. I would like it to be able to do everything the projector does (right now with the SD I can only do the Tivo). Do I just need an HD TV that is at least capable of 480p minimum?

And on my standard def TV..what is the component video input? I assumed 480i?

#60747 - 06/05/06 05:33 PM Re: Resolution of component outputs?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
A standard definition TV will not accept anything higher than 480i. I was under the impression that the 990's component output for transcoded video sources (s-video and composite video) was 480i. Have you tried the DVD player set to interlaced and connected directly to the TV? There may be an issue at the TV that's preventing it from using the component input at all (or the initial 480p signal confused it somehow).

Standard definition is finally approaching the end of its life span. If you are going to buy a TV today and it's going to be bigger than about 20" or so, I'd be hard pressed to recommend buying one that wasn't HD capable - and that goes double if the TV will be in the home theater setup.

#60748 - 06/05/06 06:06 PM Re: Resolution of component outputs?
Darth Tater Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: South Carolina
Yeah the component on the TV works fine with an interlaced signal directly from the DVD.

I'm just worried that I'll go buy a new HDTV and it still won't work so I would like to know why it's not working now. I mean I know the SDTV obviously won't work with a 480p signal, but I figured it would have worked with the s-video/transcoded signal from the Tivo.

I've narrowed it down to this one because I want a smallish LCD that is dirt cheap:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=OSGK4HSZT0HCHKC4D3DFAFY?skuId=7768711&productCategoryId=cat03004&type=product&tab=4&id=1142288915135

I'm sure it's far from the best but $400 is the top of my budget for this TV since it's just secondary.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
scoooter 2
butchgo 2
Veeper 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics