Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#60632 - 05/31/06 10:04 PM Best way to connect to Pool Speakers
noshocks Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: MA
I have two Bose outdoor speakers that I would like to connect to my 990. Right now I am using the 990's unbalanced outputs for my home theater system and I would like to connect my pool speakers in another zone.

In reading the Manual, I came to the conclusion that the best way would be to simply connect the L/R line outs for Zone 2 to a separate amplifier. But then I came across a statement in the Manual that states that Zone 2 can only be connected to analog audio sources. Hmm. I have a digital audio source (iTunes over Airport Express) that I would like to pipe to the pool so I am wondering if there is another way to make this connection.

I am new at this multi zone stuff and could use a few pointers. Thank you for any help you can offer.

#60633 - 05/31/06 11:01 PM Re: Best way to connect to Pool Speakers
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Unfortunately I think that all of the likely ways to get a signal to your outdoor speakers are going to be limited to analog sources unless you split the left and right pre-amp outputs (which I'd consider less desirable). My approach has been to provide an analog audio connection for any source I intend to use with my second zone (a wireless speaker that we use when working in the yard or as background during parties) - the analog connection may not be set as the audio source for the input, but the second zone uses it just the same. Since an Airport Express has a single connection that is both analog and digital, that doesn't work so well in your case. I guess you could run an analog cable and switch from the optical to the analog when listening by the pool, but that's not really ideal. Anybody know of an adapter for the Airport Express's output to give access to both analog and digital outputs simultaneously?

#60634 - 06/01/06 11:36 AM Re: Best way to connect to Pool Speakers
Otto Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Longmont, Colorado
A hack *could* be to use your balanced outs and use them as analog inputs to whatever you want to use for Zone 2. Unfortunately, you would be forced to select your Airport Express in the "main" zone if you want to use it in Zone 2. I frequently listen to the same thing in "main" and Zone 2, so it would work for me. But I still wouldn't like it. Definitely a hack, but I think it would work. You'd also have to play with the volume levels, as "main" would have to be audible.

-- Otto

#60635 - 06/01/06 12:12 PM Re: Best way to connect to Pool Speakers
obie_fl Offline
Gunslinger

I thought you couldn't use the balanced and unbalanced conectors at the same time.

#60636 - 06/01/06 12:33 PM Re: Best way to connect to Pool Speakers
sluggo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Plano, TX
Why don't you just buy another airport express, and you can do the switching via iTunes? You're going to have to have zone 2 amplification anyway, so the only added cost is the 2nd express unit. You'll still have the flexibility of choosing where the music goes, just not using the 990.

#60637 - 06/01/06 02:01 PM Re: Best way to connect to Pool Speakers
Darth Tater Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally posted by obie_fl:
I thought you couldn't use the balanced and unbalanced conectors at the same time.
Yes, you can use them both.

#60638 - 06/04/06 10:18 PM Re: Best way to connect to Pool Speakers
noshocks Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: MA
Thanks for the ideas.

I think I will just connect the Airport Express with an analog cable and then connect Zone 2 to an amplifier. That way I will be able to play music at the pool without having to play through the home theater area as well.

I appreciate the help.

P.S. I installed the 990 upgrade this week and it worked great.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
scoooter 2
butchgo 2
Veeper 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics