Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#60298 - 05/19/06 09:08 PM Re: Squeezebox
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
I continued this discussion over here in the Outlaw to Outlaw forum. I had questions about this but it doesn't really seem like this thread belongs here any longer.

#60299 - 05/24/06 11:36 AM Re: Squeezebox
dengor Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: newtown, pa us
A similar product is the Philips Streamium - SL400I/37. Has anyone tried it? Comments?

The built-in display simplifies playing audio, in comparison to devices that do not have a display.

I noticed on their web site that Philips is selling it for $199.99, quite a price drop.

http://www.store.philips.com/b2c_redesig...log&shop=DIRECT

#60300 - 05/24/06 11:56 AM Re: Squeezebox
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
Hey anybody - why is there no word wrap on the displays in this thread? Dragging the horizontal slider to read a paragraph gets old fast.
I've noticed the same thing on a few other windows here, but most of them do have word wrap. Why not all?

#60301 - 05/24/06 02:37 PM Re: Squeezebox
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The link above your post is throwing things off - it runs so long without a break that it defines the width of the page. Pictures can also do this.

#60302 - 05/24/06 02:51 PM Re: Squeezebox
dengor Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: newtown, pa us
OK, now I know for next time.

But back to topic --- Does anyone have experience with the Philips Streamium SL400I/37 network audio / video player? Any comments on it?

#60303 - 05/24/06 03:41 PM Re: Squeezebox
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I haven't seen much on the Streamium. The unit linked above appears to be intended for the European market (the SCART connector is a standard video connection there, but you'd be hard pressed to find a SCART input on a US television - in fact, it would have to be an imported set). Aside from that, it seems to have an interesting feature set.

(To meander back off topic, you can avoid the problem of long links by using the "url" tags - for example, if you the spaces inside the brackets of the following line:
[ url = http://www.google.com ]google[ / url ]
You would get google )

#60304 - 05/24/06 03:52 PM Re: Squeezebox
InspectorZ Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I picked up a Philips MC-i200 Micro Hi-Fi system for my daughter because it has Streamium. It's a wonderful little system.

With Streamium you can get BlueBeat and that's an amazing free internet radio service. They stream 320-kb/s audio.

BTW, ebay currently has an SL400I/37 being offered by Philips.

#60305 - 05/25/06 01:43 AM Re: Squeezebox
ComradeX Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Dallas, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Wolcott:
Does anyone use Pandora with the Squeezebox?
How much is it (after the 90 day trial)?
Yes, I signed up for Pandora. It's great! I actually started playing with it before I bought my Squeezebox. I dont have too many stations in it yet though, the ones I have keep coming up with new stuff I like. It's another thing that adds to the whole idea of the SB being your own private radio station.

I've also added a couple of local radio stations into the SB "favorites" menu. It's cool to have them there, but they must use a low bit rate, since they sometimes have that tinny "bad VOIP call" sound. Pandora sounds fine though.

They havent started charging me yet, but I think the fee was something like $30 or $40 a year. If that's it I'm sure I'll keep it.

#60306 - 05/25/06 09:51 PM Re: Squeezebox
x84HurstOlds Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Runnemede, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by David291:
Haven't seen this before now. Looks very cool, with some good reviews out there. One question I couldn't find an answer to...

Can it connect to my music library over the internet? In other words, can I use one at work and access my library on my home computer?
You can, and you really wouldn't need to have a Squeezebox at work. Squeezebox is powered by software called SlimServer, that runs on your home PC. In order to access from another PC, you need to:

1) Open up the appropriate ports on your home router and forward them to the PC that SlimServer is installed on (as well as opening them up in any firewall software you are running);

2) Get a static IP or easier, get a free account at DynDNS.org or no-ip.com or similar (my router and I think a lot of Linksys routers in general have built in support for DynDNS).

Then at work, open WinAmp or another software player, and open the URL:

http://:9000/stream.mp3

Then open a web browser and open the URL:

http://:9000

which gives you the SlimServer GUI.

There's a couple other niceties, like for instance you'll want to specify that for that player (meaning your work PC) you want everything converted to MP3 (streaming FLAC or WAV would probably be too bandwidth-intensive, resulting in dropouts and a pissed-off sysadmin), but that's the gist of it. Instructions used to be posted at SlimDevices somewhere, but I can't find them at the moment.

Again, you don't have to have a Squeezebox at home to try this, just SlimServer running on your PC.

Ed

#60307 - 05/25/06 09:58 PM Re: Squeezebox
x84HurstOlds Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Runnemede, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by Otto:

Now -- if anyone has a recommendation for a good, quick and free FLAC to mp3 converter, let me know. I want to convert those FLACs, en masse, to mp3s for easy transport to work.
Foobar2000 is a good one, and an all around good player as well (supports ASIO, which if you know about Windows kmangler, is a good thing).

I have a similar setup to you, FLAC+cuesheets on a RAID (ReadyNAS nv), but I'm using Squeezebox as my player. (Going to build an HTPC with a touch-screen, jukebox-like interface for easier browsing).

I'm in the process of duplicating all the single-album FLACs as single-song MP3's, for my iPod and for streaming as "background music" to my TiVo and other non-FLAC-aware devices. Been using Foobar and it's been great. www.hydrogenaudio.org is a good place for info/setup help, IIRC, and for anything to do with using a PC as a music transport/ripper/etc.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 256 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM