Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#60242 - 05/14/06 07:09 PM Toshiba HD DVD audio settings
Alvin Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mobile, Al US
MUCH discussion on the AVS forum about the new Toshiba player. I bought one, and I'm trying to figure out whether or not to use digital coax or 5.1 analog. According to this post, analog is the 2nd best choice if not using HDMI. He also suggests it MAY be a better choice to let the Toshiba process the bass management (as opposed to the 990) just to avoid the additional A/D D/A step. Would you guys, in principle, agree? Or, is the 990 likely to be the better analog processing choice? (If anyone wants to read more, here is the link)

Q: How should I connect the audio for best sound quality?

A: There are several options for audio connection, it has become more complicated than standard DVD. See the attached PDF for the "Output sound conversion table" from the manual and you will see what I mean. See this post for a good more detailed summary of what we currently know about the audio options.

Best Choice: If you have a receiver with HDMI 1.1 inputs that will accept 5.1 channel digital PCM, use HDMI. You will get the new Dolby Digital and DTS formats decoded by the player and output in all their glory. This input should allow all the speaker setup, bass management and surround processing in your receiver to work. It will also use your receiver's DACs (digital/analog converters) which are likely better than what's in the A1. Set the HDMI audio output of the A1 to Auto (the default) or PCM (if Auto doesn't produce 5.1 channel PCM or you want to force it for all formats).

Second Choice: If you have a receiver with 5.1 channel analog inputs, use a 5.1 channel analog connection. The PCM signals (see above) will be sent through the internal 5.1 channel 24/192 DACs in the A1 and output as analog. If your receiver does not apply speaker setup and bass management to this input (most don't), use the Audio, Speaker Settings menu under Set Up. Even if it does, you may want to use the pass through mode on the receiver to avoid an extra A/D and D/A step. Which is best may depend on your receiver and how well it does these conversions.

Third Choice: If you have neither of the above but your receiver can decode DTS, then use a SPDIF coaxial or Toslink (optical) connection. The Dolby Digital Plus soundtracks will be converted to either standard DD or DTS and can be decoded by your receiver. The output format will depend to the disc, but so far the launch titles are output as DTS only over SPDIF. DTS soundtracks should be passed as DTS as well. Set Audio, Digital out SPDIF to Bitstream (should be the default) under Setup.

If you don't have a receiver with any of the above, your only option may be 2 channel PCM audio passed over SPDIF (set Digital out SPDIF to PCM) or 2 channel analog. It may be time consider buying a new receiver.

#60243 - 05/14/06 07:45 PM Re: Toshiba HD DVD audio settings
cappra Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Glendale, Arizona
I'm kinda in the same boat as you are. If I use the 5.1 analog imputs on the 990, then I have to give up my SACD/DVD-A imput. If the "old style" SPDIF connection still sounds ok, I will use it. If the HDDVD audio is that much better, then I guess I will dump the multi channel audio setup.

#60244 - 05/14/06 08:56 PM Re: Toshiba HD DVD audio settings
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maine
Cappra wrote

then I have to give up my SACD/DVD-A imput

Actually there are alternatives, though I only know of two. Here is one
ZEKTOR HOME THEATER SWITCHES .

Another would be to incorporate a patchbay. It's the least expensive and gives even greater flexibility as you can add other sources to your 7 ch direct 990s. I use a Behringer bay. Takes up 1.75 in. (1 rack unit). I "normal" a 4 ch input from a hard drive recorder (player) and also can cross patch a SACD. If I ever get a DVD-A unit I can add that to the mix.
HTH
Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 174 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM