Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#60121 - 05/07/06 05:41 PM Dolby Digital 5.1 surround
Miscanthus Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, MS
and DTS 5.1 Digital Surround Sound. Would someone explaing the difference in these and which is best, please? I put in Kill Bill I and tried DTS 5.1 and had no sound. Does the 990 support this? Thanks, again.

#60122 - 05/07/06 06:59 PM Re: Dolby Digital 5.1 surround
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I go into some detail here about what the different surround formats are, which may be useful.

Which is better is a matter of some debate. Many people feel that DTS is always superior, while many others feel that the fact that DTS is typically mastered about 4dB louder than Dolby Digital (people often equate "louder" to "better sounding"). I've always found the differences to be fairly small - possibly because I always tweak my volume level "to taste" while watching (thus equalizing volume between the different formats).

If you didn't get anything at all with DTS, your DVD player is probably set to output DTS as PCM. This is a common default setting that should probably never have been defined that way, and should certainly have been adjusted many years ago. You must have your player set to output DTS as either "bitstream" or "raw" to get the original signal from the disc.

#60123 - 05/07/06 09:29 PM Re: Dolby Digital 5.1 surround
Miscanthus Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, MS
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
I go into some detail here about what the different surround formats are, which may be useful.

Which is better is a matter of some debate. Many people feel that DTS is always superior, while many others feel that the fact that DTS is typically mastered about 4dB louder than Dolby Digital (people often equate "louder" to "better sounding"). I've always found the differences to be fairly small - possibly because I always tweak my volume level "to taste" while watching (thus equalizing volume between the different formats).

If you didn't get anything at all with DTS, your DVD player is probably set to output DTS as PCM. This is a common default setting that should probably never have been defined that way, and should certainly have been adjusted many years ago. You must have your player set to output DTS as either "bitstream" or "raw" to get the original signal from the disc.
Thanks Gonk,
Does this mean that I should set my default setting on my Samsung DVD player to DTS and bitstream? That is an option in the menu. I do not know if I want to watch DTS all the time or not, but I would like to have the option. Thanks.

#60124 - 05/07/06 10:08 PM Re: Dolby Digital 5.1 surround
gonk Offline
Desperado

You do need to set the DTS output to bitstream in the Samsung in order to hear the DTS audio. If there's a second setting for making DTS the default audio mode (instead of Dolby Digital), that's a matter of personal preference - I'd probably leave Dolby Digital the default if I had the option, but some folks strongly prefer DTS.

#60125 - 05/10/06 01:25 PM Re: Dolby Digital 5.1 surround
Randomcreek Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: PA, USA
I have a related question. Why using coaxial audio input can I not select dolby digital as the audio format from my DVD playuer - same for optical input??? Yet my Dishnetwork box optical connection can be set to D Digital. I only have PLII movie/music, DTSneo6 movie/music,5 channel stereo only to choose from?? What's up with that?

#60126 - 05/10/06 01:51 PM Re: Dolby Digital 5.1 surround
gonk Offline
Desperado

When you are trying to set it, is there a Dolby Digital source currently active at the digital input assigned to DVD? If there's no DD signal, the 990 will only offer modes that are compatible with a stereo signal. Your dish receiver is probably on and providing at least a Dolby 2.0 signal, which is why Dolby Digital shows up as an option there.

#60127 - 05/10/06 11:26 PM Re: Dolby Digital 5.1 surround
sluggo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Plano, TX
If your 990 was properly assigning the digital inputs to your source selection, it's the output on your DVD that's the culprit. Go into the DVD hardware menu and make sure that the digital output is set to bitstream and not PCM, as the latter will only allow the two channel surround modes you mentioned to be selected.

Your DVD owner's manual will have all of the details on checking this out, let us know...

#60128 - 05/11/06 01:30 PM Re: Dolby Digital 5.1 surround
Randomcreek Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks. I will try these suggestions. I think there must be a DDig signal coming out of the DVD player since the sound that comes out (when set on DTS neo6 movie) is surround (DDig I thought). My DVD player is the oppo digital and I believe I have the signal set to "RAW" - is this correct? Much thanks.

#60129 - 05/11/06 02:15 PM Re: Dolby Digital 5.1 surround
Randomcreek Offline
Gunslinger

Another input/output setting question. Why can't I set the channel level outputs for each audio source with the 990? This sure would be nice. I know my DVD players allow me to do this, but my Satillite box does not have a channel trim capability creating problems with getting perfect levels with this source (i.e. sub level setting that works optimally with my DVD player for movie output is to high for the dishnetwork satillite box output producing too much bass with dishnetwork programming). Any ideas fo rwhat I cxan do ?

#60130 - 05/11/06 02:39 PM Re: Dolby Digital 5.1 surround
gonk Offline
Desperado

You've got your Oppo set correctly. If you want to specify the surround mode as Dolby Digital in the input setup screen, you must have a Dolby Digital signal active at the time. I just left it alone and set the mode to what I wanted for each input type the first time I played it (PLIIx-Movie for the rare PCM, DD+PLIIx-Movie for Dolby Digital tracks, DTS+PLIIx-Movie for DTS tracks, and DTS ES for DTS ES tracks).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 174 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM