Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#59668 - 04/24/06 09:59 PM Please help, gonk or anyone...cables
Miscanthus Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, MS
I really cannot figure this out. I am about to order all the cables for my system from blue jean cable. Will someone be kind enough to tell me what I need so that i can make one order.
System:
990/7125
New Toshiba HD DVD player(just came out)
Digital Cabel TV Box from Time Warner Cable
Samsung 50" Plasma with 2 HDMI inputs
Orb Audio 7.1 speaker system

Thanks so much for the help. This is all new to me and I can't figure out if I need Svideo, component video, HDMI only, bla, bla, bla, which audio, ect. You guys are smarter than me.

#59669 - 04/24/06 10:29 PM Re: Please help, gonk or anyone...cables
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The Toshiba player will need a digital audio cable (coaxial or optical for regular DVD's; if you want to preserve your two coaxial inputs you could go optical), six analog audio cables (for the HD-DVD discs), and an HDMI cable. If you want to make use of the 990's DVI switching, you'll want an HDMI-to-DVI cable like this one .

The cable box (which I'm assuming supports HD) will have a coaxial digital output, optical digital output, or both. You'll want to use one of those (it doesn't matter which). What model of cable box do you have? Some have HDMI, some have DVI (MidSouth Time Warner still hands out Pace DC-550's as of last year), and some have component video only. If it has an HDMI or DVI output, you could get an HDMI-to-DVI or DVI-to-DVI cable (which would let you leave the Samsung plasma on a single input all the time and let the 990 automatically switch for you).

The Samsung will need an HDMI-to-DVI cable so you can connect the 990's DVI output to one of the HDMI inputs. You'll also need to run an analog video connection so you can see the 990's menu. If you don't currently plan to have any other video sources in the system, you can just pick up a composite video cable (should be the least expensive option). If you think you'll have other sources (game console, for example), you might go ahead and get a component video cable to go from the 990 to the Samsung (the 990 will transcode any analog video sources - composite, s-video, or component - to the component output, plus you'll still have access to the 990's menu).

The Orb Audio system will need the sub cable you mentioned having earlier, the seven pre-amp cables (from 990 to 7125) that we talked about earlier, and speaker cable from the 7125 to each speaker.

#59670 - 04/25/06 01:11 AM Re: Please help, gonk or anyone...cables
BloggingITGuy Offline
Desperado

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon
If you do go the optical cable route, Bluejeans unfortunately doesn't carry those. But the Outlaw optical cables are pretty nice for the money.

#59671 - 04/25/06 07:42 AM Re: Please help, gonk or anyone...cables
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
True, Outlaw's PDO is an excellent optical cable and is very reasonably priced.

#59672 - 04/25/06 10:44 AM Re: Please help, gonk or anyone...cables
JeffP Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Tampa, FL
I would use monoprices. There cables are very good. No need to get roped into expensive cables are better gimmick.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 339 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ Yesterday at 03:13 AM