Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#59563 - 04/20/06 07:56 PM 990 with NAD
UMtiger Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Memphis, TN
I am very much interested in purchasing the 990 as I upgrade from 2 channel to HT. I also am partial to NAD equipment, especially amps. Any input/experience out there on how the 990 would match up with a NAD amp (sonics mainly). I have already heard from one "very respected" source on this forum that there are probably platform etc similarities. Thanks for any and all replies.

#59564 - 04/20/06 10:38 PM Re: 990 with NAD
Skyblazer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Spokane, WA
NAD makes some really good amps. i'm thinking it would be a really good match with the 990 pre.

I have a older NAD 2600A 2 ch amp.. the thing runs so cool.. it's about 150wpc, and never breaks a sweat running my 4ohm Polk Audio SDA SRS's. (each Polk speaker has 12 drivers in em.. so that takes some power to drive).

Do you already own the NAD amp? If not. why not consider a Outlaw Audio amp? Just curious is all.
Parasound P/HP-850 2 CH pre
Pioneer PL-530 TT
Polk Audio SDA 2B
NAD 2600A amp
Danger Boy here

#59565 - 04/22/06 01:03 AM Re: 990 with NAD
unpossible Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Minneapolis
I don’t think there are many folks out there who use both Outlaw and NAD components –probably just because they are sold via completely different channels. Outlaw you can only buy directly from Outlaw over the Internet or phone, and NAD you can only buy from a full-service retailer (and there are not many) or authorized installer - not counting refurbished or the very few unauthorized options that are out there on NAD stuff. So a lot of folks probably fall largely into one camp or the other – either purchasing most of their gear online or purchasing most of their gear from a local source like an audio shop. That is just my crazy theory.

That being said, I have a NAD T973 7-channel amp with my Outlaw 990 prepro. I have been very happy with the amp. I was in a similar situation in that I have liked NAD amps in the past so that was a natural short-list choice for me for the amp. Outlaw seemed like the best value/money to me for the processor, and the T973 seemed like the best value/money to me for the amp (with some admitted bias for NAD based on history). The only downfall of the T973 to be warned of is that it has three fans and is fairly noisy. No problem for my setup because for me the amp is behind a wall, but if you have an open rack I could see where fan noise may occasionally be a problem. It looks like NAD gets around the fan noise problem on their new M25 amp (appears to be a slightly-tweaked T973) by reducing fan speed during quite passages (I bet they had to do something to fix the fan noise problem for a cert from the THX people – again just my crazy theory).

#59566 - 04/22/06 01:48 PM Re: 990 with NAD
tsd2005 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Seeing as how NAD was likely a model Outlaw followed when they formed (also because correct me if I'm wrong, some NAD people are involved with Outlaw), then I would think that they likely share some sonic qualities.

I mean in the begining Outlaw had an ugly case in a loving homage to NAD right?

#59567 - 04/23/06 07:25 PM Re: 990 with NAD
UMtiger Offline
Gunslinger

Skyblazer, I am current owner of NAD seperates with the old 216thx amp so I know and like their sound, but do not have any multi-NAD equip. I am not opposed to Outlaw amp just not real informed on their performance vs the NAD t973.

Unpossible, it sounds like you have the component setup that I am considering for the same reasons. May I ask why you went with NAD rather than the Outlaw amp?
The fan noise, my amp will be inside a cabinet under the TV, will it be noticable. I am 80 - 20 music to movies. P.S. master series out of my budget but Ohh very nice stuff.

#59568 - 04/23/06 10:50 PM Re: 990 with NAD
cespcalo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Puerto Rico
I have the 990 and the NAD T973. After months of research and back and forth I choose the 990 because of the price and all the features it have for the price. I choose the NAD because it have excellent power!!!, the soft cliping feature, the construction is solid, a good reputation and I heard it before I buy. The fans I know are there but I don't really heard it. I didn't choose OUTLAW just because the expensive shipping cost to PR($300) and any service it could require will cost me another $300. If this is not a problem for you, you should go with the OUTLAW combo and save some money for the cables.

The NAD if very soft on HF and very powerfull on LF, but the final combination is what you will heard (pre/power/cd-player/cables etc)

#59569 - 04/25/06 11:11 PM Re: 990 with NAD
unpossible Offline
Gunslinger

UMtiger, I have to admit I did not go through a sophisticated selection process. There are reviews out there praising the T973 and its power. The amp has been out for some time and the only downside people spoke of seemed to be the fan noise, which was not even a worry for me. I guess there is also some negative chatter around about how there is some evidence that NAD wanted THX certification on the T973 but couldn't get it...if that is even true I would place a bet that the holdup was fan noise. Given that I have a NAD integrated amp and tuner in my family room that I love, I put the T973 way above the Outlaw 7125 in my list (probably fair given the T973 costs more, even discounted). Meanwhile the Outlaw 7700 was not out yet as a temptation. Also note that music was important to me (my HT is 40% - 60% music to movies...and/but the music in the movies is very important to me) so again the T973 seemed a safe bet.

As I mentioned I have been very happy with it (have had for about 4 months). The only A/B comparison I have had opportunity to do was vs my old Onkyo TX-DS797 Reciever (990 to each; amp section only of Reciever); obviously the T973 blew the amp section of the 797 away but that is hardly a fair comparison.

Meanwhile I liked the features of the 990 better than the NAD prepro and really see NAD strength as amps/tuners vs other, so here I am with the 990/T973 combination.

For what is is worth I tried a very quick unscientific test on the fan noise. I have the amp under a stairwell in the basement (which has a "room" effect making it louder in my estimation that it would be in a normal room), and with the fans running full speed I have to hold my R.S sound level meter within about 20 inches of the front of the amp to get it register at 51 dB. As I walk away from the amp in the utility portion my basement (no/little other abient noise), it gets pretty tough to hear at about 12 feet away.

#59570 - 04/29/06 08:10 PM Re: 990 with NAD
UMtiger Offline
Gunslinger

Cespcalo, thank you much for the input. So you would have outlaw rather than NAD if shipping cost were not the issue, correct? How does that 990 sound with the NAD?

UNPOSSIBLE,thank you for the inpromptu test you did, I guess that the fan noise is really not that much of an issue. I agree with the features of 990 over the nad, so are you happy with your combination overall?
I am sensing that the 990 is a great choice, and whether to use with the outlaw amp or nad is a draw? Would you agree?

#59571 - 05/01/06 10:55 PM Re: 990 with NAD
unpossible Offline
Gunslinger

Yes, I am very happy with the combination UMtiger. I think the 990 is a great choice (with whatever your favorate amp is). I also think the NAD T973 amp is a great choice. And I haven't any experience with Outlaw amps but I'm certain you will find plently of folks around here who will list them as a great choices. Its the best of all worlds...you have choices and you can hardly go wrong : ).

#59572 - 05/03/06 11:04 PM Re: 990 with NAD
cespcalo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Puerto Rico
UMtiger: The must is the 990, is cheap, good quality, I got one even with the expensive shipping where I live, and still is a good choice.

On amps, you will not go wrong with any OUTLAW or NAD. NAD I think would be again my choice but it is a little more expensive than OUTLAW. NAD is 140 wpc X 7 and 200 wpc in stereo, if you really don't need 200wpc X 7 (OUTLAW) go with NAD. I take a test with the NAD and a pair of Paradigm Studio 100 and this amp really have more power than you will need, I like high volume and thats all the power you will ever need.

My issue was the expensive shipping of OUTLAW, if you can pay the NAD pay it, if money is an issue the OUTLAW is the one. I am very happy with my 990/T973 and I am sure you will be too. I Have a NAD service dealer near my home and that for me is important.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 256 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM