Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#59395 - 04/11/06 03:11 PM 990 digital noise
hometurf Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Has anyone heard a ticking sound (digital noise) when you move the volume control manually very quickly up and down? My unit when I adjust the volume I hear this sound like (tick!...tick!)

Last night I was playing cd music in Bypass mode(Analog input) and suddenly the 990 sound distorted and lost volume from the right speaker and noisy left channel and sound from the center channel!!! Has anyone else experienced anything similar?
I performed a soft reset and it went away, then about 5 minutes later it returned again.
The graphical indicator displayed left/right and sub but there was sound coming out of the center channel. I was playing at a level of -15dB, could it be heat related?
I went home for lunch (cool inside) and could not duplicate it. I will try later this evening with continuous play.

I love my 990 but I have had to reset the unit too many times and I am starting to lose confidence. Outlaw said this cannot happen (or suppose to happen)...basically they did not believe me.

This is in addition to the AM tuning problem and memory preset loss if the unit is left unplugged overnight.

#59396 - 04/11/06 03:15 PM Re: 990 digital noise
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
There's some odd stuff going on there, 'turf. I've not used the volume control knob enough to notice a ticking sound if there is one on my unit (it's behind a closed door), but I haven't seen any of the other behavior you describe.

#59397 - 04/11/06 11:31 PM Re: 990 digital noise
rmilewsk Offline
Gunslinger

It almost sounds like you might have a loose connection in between the source and the 990 or the amp and the speaker.

#59398 - 04/12/06 08:55 AM Re: 990 digital noise
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maine
hometurf wrote:

Outlaw said this cannot happen (or suppose to happen)...basically they did not believe me.

Did you actually talk to Scott or Steve? If yes, did they go thru it with you and help you troubleshoot?

Knowing their policy, and having had experience with their person-to-person (voice) support, it is difficult to believe that they would (as it seems to be described) "blow you off". My experience is different. Having worked partially thru the ground loop problem, and, having isolated as much as I could they wanted to do an exchange on an AMP. I had to tell them thanks but let me work at it some more. Point is: they were ready to make it right or at least try...and were making recommendation to swap even before I had ever conceived of it.

Let us know if you spoke, with whom and what said.
Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3

#59399 - 04/12/06 09:57 AM Re: 990 digital noise
hometurf Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Update:
I spoke with Steve and his exact words were "that cannot happen"...Yes they wanted to walk through whether there was a setup problem. (A ground loop issue is different than my problem.)
As I explained to him, the unit has been working for the last two weeks. I can perform the test channel level test and cycle through all the channels.
Everything works except stereo!!!
Last night and this morning the unit now plays stereo through the front and center channel on any source thats stereo all the time. I did a hard reset and that does not correct the problem anymore. The unit decodes Dolby digital, DTS, Pro Logic with no problem...just stereo is meshed up.

Since tech support is only available 8am to 5pm I am not at home during the day. (They should be available later than this since most people are working and are most likely not going to take the day off to troubleshoot the 990.

This friday I am off and will give them a call at that time to satisfy them and send the unit back. The main thing is this problem is not a setup problem.

Lastly, I love my 990 but the reliablity is now a question for me. Price is not the only factor for me. If I have to pay more to have the reliability then that's the route I will take...Hopefully it will not come to this.
Note: Even in one the reviews I read in a HT magazine, they experienced problems with the 990 and had to reset it. Apparently, Outlaw recognize this unit is subsceptible to corruption and clearly states you may have to reset it...not good!

#59400 - 04/12/06 12:51 PM Re: 990 digital noise
vince32837 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Orlando
Turf,

word on the steets is of the 2000+ 990's sold only 2-3 have come back due to repair/replacement. Supposed to be quite reliable...

good luck with it...hopefully you don't start a trend because my 990 arrives tomorrow.........

Vince

#59401 - 04/12/06 05:49 PM Re: 990 digital noise
hometurf Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Update:

Outlaw came through today and agreed to replace my unit. I took time off to call them from home and go through the steps to verify. Just as I explained to Steve this was not a connection or setup issue.

I am satisfied that they are willing to stand behind there product. Hopefully, the next unit will operate flawlessly and reliably.

I am still a 990 fan!!!!... smile

Who's Online
0 registered (), 173 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward, jamescuz
8713 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,713 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM