Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#59347 - 04/09/06 05:01 PM DVI switching in reverse?
Rob Zwissler Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago, IL
I'm toying with the idea of replacing with DVD player & HDTV tuner with a Mac Mini + HDTV Tuner... advantage of this would be simplification, ability to use the Mac as a HD PVR which can burn DVDs, etc...

I'm curious if there any hazards/shortcomings/downsides to using the DVI switching in reverse? IE: plug the source into the DVI-out, and then use DVI-1 & DVI-2 to switch between a projector and an LCD screen?

Any thoughts? If it is indeed just a dumb passive switch, I would imagine it'd work just as expected.

Rob

#59348 - 04/09/06 05:12 PM Re: DVI switching in reverse?
Rob Zwissler Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Well, if anyone else is interested in doing this, it doesn't work, at least it didn't for me... maybe there are some circuit protection diodes in there or something frown

Rob

#59349 - 04/09/06 05:36 PM Re: DVI switching in reverse?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I suspect that the HDCP may only work one way.

#59350 - 04/10/06 12:45 PM Re: DVI switching in reverse?
cooldog Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Kenton, DE
Rob,

What you need is a DVI distribution "amp". And then probably also a Gefen "DVI-Detective". The D-A does, in essence, what any video D-A does, but it's complicated by the EDID data that's exchanged between the displays and the computer.

The Gefen part sits in the cable between the computer and the D-A, after you first "program" it by letting it "see" the EDID data from one of the displays. After that, it merrily impersonates that display by repeating the EDID data --- even if the display is disconnected.

I needed to use this with an XP machine and an ATI X850-based board, because the board needs to see the display's EDID data on boot in order to believe that there's any display connected.

In the end, I've decided to use 1280x720 via the VGA connector to my Samsung DLP, and DVI to my Sony 1292, so I don't need the 1x4 Startech D-A that I bought ... so I'll be selling it, if you're interested, PM me.

Paul

#59351 - 04/10/06 02:27 PM Re: DVI switching in reverse?
Rob Zwissler Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks Paul, that explains it... I wasn't using HDCP as I tested with a computer & non HDCP compliant monitor. I might be interested in that DA. I read a description for one DA which said the settings (EDID I guess) were passed for the first monitor; that scenario would work for me as my projector is compatible with the video modes on my LCD. Unless I'm missing something ?

regards

Rob

Who's Online
0 registered (), 173 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward, jamescuz
8713 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,713 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM