Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#59182 - 05/06/06 07:58 PM Re: More bass in STEREO and UPSAMPLE vs. BYPASS
Skyblazer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Spokane, WA
obie, yes.. my Marantz receiver would remember a set up for DD and one for DTS sound tracks. Really, both DD and DTS sound different.

The end result you hear between DD and DTS is still 5.1 or more... but with DTS not being as compressed.. i'm now finding myself keep having to raise the center channel level when I watch a DD movie.

My front three speakers are timbre matched to work with each other.. all Polk Audio. Maybe this is just me being picky.. but I can tell the difference between DD and DTS when compared to each other. War of the Worlds is a good example of a movie having both DD and DTS sound tracks on it.
Parasound P/HP-850 2 CH pre
Pioneer PL-530 TT
Polk Audio SDA 2B
NAD 2600A amp
Danger Boy here

#59183 - 05/07/06 12:52 PM Re: More bass in STEREO and UPSAMPLE vs. BYPASS
obie_fl Offline
Gunslinger

So you are talking just levels and not crossover, got it. In theory if the system is balanced for one format it should be balanced for both. I understand the differences in soundtracks but I’d think it would be more a function of the mix then the format (DD vs DTS) used.

Just out of curiosity where do you have your center mounted? I’ve also read fairly convincing arguments that timbre matched centers are not necessarily a good thing due to the nature of center channel movie soundtrack content. I know that when I send test tones to my center and mains it is of slightly different timbre.

Having said all that you are correct some soundtracks are just have plain mixed poorly.

#59184 - 05/07/06 05:34 PM Re: More bass in STEREO and UPSAMPLE vs. BYPASS
Skyblazer Offline
Gunslinger

When I set up my speakers.. i first use the Auto set up from the 990. It's pretty close I have found for proper levels.

When i want to set things up manually. I use a Discwasher digital set up disc. It has a seperate set up set of tones for DD and for DTS. Giving me the reason for the different set ups required for each.

Yes in theory, you should only have to set up your speaker one time.. and it should be fine for all sources and decoding of those sources. But as mentioned earlier, I find that DTS seems to run a bit on the "hot" side.. making my set up setting slightly different between DD and DTS.

Anyway, lets get past that.

I have my center located just below my TV. It's a tube TV. It's to large and heavy (30lbs) to be place on top of the TV. eek

I have never heard anyone mention that it's not a good idea to have your center timbre match your mains. I won't agrue that is't not a good idea.. but I have trouble accepting it as a good thing.

To obtain a seemless panning of the front soundstage, you really do need to timbre match all three front speaker. Level wise, yes you can set them all to the proper levels.. but mis-matched center and fronts.. and you'll notice a definate out of sync front soundstage. wink
Pioneer PL-530 TT
Polk Audio SDA 2B
NAD 2600A amp
Danger Boy here

#59185 - 05/09/06 12:04 AM Re: More bass in STEREO and UPSAMPLE vs. BYPASS
c_h_shin Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles
In case anyone was wondering, I have returned the 990 at the end of the 4 week audition period. I have very regretfully returned it, because the 990 truly sounds phenominal for the price. However, the bass management issues and lack of timely software updates (especially bug fixes) led me to believe that should look elsewhere. I'm now looking into a used Anthem. I doubt that there will be an improvement in sound quality, but I'm assuming that the configuration flexibility is worth the extra money - even for a used one. What will be really interesting, is to find out that the soon-to-be release s/w patch fixes the double bass bug and adds major bass management capability as well as additional memory settings for different inputs/digital streams. My Denon 3805 is a great example of well executed usability and bass management. Who knows... I may decide to go back to the 990 after the patch is finally released. Assuming that Outlaw will take me back!

#59186 - 05/10/06 01:00 AM Re: More bass in STEREO and UPSAMPLE vs. BYPASS
TommyBoy Offline
Gunslinger

#59187 - 05/10/06 02:18 AM Re: More bass in STEREO and UPSAMPLE vs. BYPASS
Skyblazer Offline
Gunslinger

I've noticed it too. i can't say why that happens, but i have noticed a decrease in volume on bypass.
Pioneer PL-530 TT
Polk Audio SDA 2B
NAD 2600A amp
Danger Boy here

#59188 - 05/10/06 09:54 AM Re: More bass in STEREO and UPSAMPLE vs. BYPASS
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
I have also noticed the rather large change in gain levels when switching between upsample and bypass.

Cheers,

#59189 - 05/10/06 05:48 PM Re: More bass in STEREO and UPSAMPLE vs. BYPASS
TommyBoy Offline
Gunslinger

#59190 - 05/10/06 07:59 PM Re: More bass in STEREO and UPSAMPLE vs. BYPASS
cappra Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Glendale, Arizona
I just checked my 990 with a meter and did get a 6 to 8db drop when switched to Bypass from Upsample. Odd.
Still love the 990 though!

#59191 - 05/10/06 10:39 PM Re: More bass in STEREO and UPSAMPLE vs. BYPASS
Daryl Offline
Gunslinger

I've tested my 990 with a SPL meter and I do not see or hear a change in volume when I switch between Bypass and Upsample. I am playing a test CD with pink noise and the volume level is the same no mater what. I'm using a SPL meter because I don't trust my ears and it reads the same no mater what. I tested this with both analog and digital inputs and all reads the same. Why don't I see/hear this when others clearly do? My main speakers are set to large and the sub is set for L/R+Sub.
Sony KDS-55A2000
Onkyo DX-C390
Toshiba HD-A2
DirecTV HR20-700
Philips Pronto TS-1000
Pics of My System

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 174 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM