Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#59172 - 05/05/06 02:26 PM Re: More bass in STEREO and UPSAMPLE vs. BYPASS
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
As close as we are to the firmware update (Scott just posted that it's in final beta testing and should roll out in the next two weeks), I don't know that there's all that much need to provide "before and after" descriptions. On the other hand, a good summary of bass management behavior would be very useful - and I suspect something can be developed in the near future.

#59173 - 05/05/06 02:39 PM Re: More bass in STEREO and UPSAMPLE vs. BYPASS
TommyBoy Offline
Gunslinger

#59174 - 05/05/06 03:24 PM Re: More bass in STEREO and UPSAMPLE vs. BYPASS
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Outlaw's gotten pretty cautious about release dates since the Model 950 launch - if Scott says two weeks, I'd feel pretty comfortable about it.

#59175 - 05/05/06 06:15 PM Re: More bass in STEREO and UPSAMPLE vs. BYPASS
Paratrooper Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Conyers,GA,USA
I quess I should read all threads before I post. Two weeks sounds great, however I still would like to see a Operatibility Matrix for all inputs that are affected by bass management. We should not have to discover a whole set of new design feature/flaws. I certainly hope the same people who did the orignal beta test are not being used on this release. I may not be fair with this statement, maybe they did ID the flaws and Outlaw did not desire to change them at the first release. Don't anyone get me wrong I am not an Outlaw basher, they have excellent products and excellent customer service. I just want to see from them, in form I can read, how all bass management features work. I am tired of "I spoke to Scott".

#59176 - 05/05/06 06:17 PM Re: More bass in STEREO and UPSAMPLE vs. BYPASS
TommyBoy Offline
Gunslinger

#59177 - 05/05/06 07:32 PM Re: More bass in STEREO and UPSAMPLE vs. BYPASS
Paratrooper Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Conyers,GA,USA
The reason I am satisfied is; with my sub set to LFE only, I do not get the double bass that is present when I do your test previously posted. Matter of fact I get no signal to my third sub in this config and there is no increased bass presence no matter the front crossover setting. If the crossover is infact active in the LFE Only setting I cannot detect it with my ears. smile

#59178 - 05/06/06 09:56 AM Re: More bass in STEREO and UPSAMPLE vs. BYPASS
Scott Offline
Desperado

Please see my updated post in the following thread .

#59179 - 05/06/06 10:46 AM Re: More bass in STEREO and UPSAMPLE vs. BYPASS
Daryl Offline
Gunslinger

Last night I did some testing with my Radio Shack SPL meter and Test CD 3 from Stereophile. Track 17 of this test CD has test tones that step in third octave increments from 200Hz down to 20. For all my tests I disconnected my sub and front speakers are set to large.

With all my tests I conformed what TommyBoy found when the Sub was set to None. I also confirmed what Paratrooper found when the sub was set for LFE only. I also tested with sub set to L/R+Sub. When the sub was set for LFE only or L/R+Sub there was no difference between Bypass and Upsample no matter what I set the X-Over to. Something else I found was that when sub was set for LFE or L/R+Sub the volume level between Bypass and Upsample was identical.

From what I found the sub should not be set to None even if you don’t have a sub. I know it shouldn’t be this way and hopefully the software update will change that along with some other things.

On a related subject, below is a link to an article on Polk Audio’s Web site on how to connect a subwoofer. They agree that bass management is a confusing topic and they have some suggestions that you may find useful.

http://www.polkaudio.com/education/article.php?id=19
Sony KDS-55A2000
Onkyo DX-C390
Toshiba HD-A2
DirecTV HR20-700
Philips Pronto TS-1000
Pics of My System

#59180 - 05/06/06 02:10 PM Re: More bass in STEREO and UPSAMPLE vs. BYPASS
Skyblazer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Spokane, WA
I am looking forward to the update software release.
One of my biggest complaints is that i've never used a processor that couldn't remember different speaker settings for DD and DTS.

Once set up.... and 990 remembers the settings for both DD and DTS. I find that to be wrong. DTS to me seems to need different speaker settings.. because of the way it's audio track is mastered for DVD's.

DD would (I assume) be mastered differently than DTS. SO IMHO the 990 should be able to remember two sets of speakers settings, not just one for both.

that would be cool if the software update would address this issue.
Parasound P/HP-850 2 CH pre
Pioneer PL-530 TT
Polk Audio SDA 2B
NAD 2600A amp
Danger Boy here

#59181 - 05/06/06 03:38 PM Re: More bass in STEREO and UPSAMPLE vs. BYPASS
obie_fl Offline
Gunslinger

Skyblazer - When you say speaker settings are you referring to the bass management functions such as the crossover points? I don’t understand how a DD or DTS mix would change this characteristic of your speakers. I could possibly see a sub level offset similar to what is already present for movies versus music, but the crossover characteristics of your speakers shouldn’t change based on the mix. Sorry if I’m missing your intent.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 174 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM