Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#59102 - 04/01/06 10:53 PM Thank you OUTLAW!
rmilewsk Offline
Gunslinger

So I finally got the 990 and 7500 and all my speakers and all my cables hooked up and ready to go!!! I get all the inputs set to go and turn the amp on for the first time. What do I hear?

THE DREADED GROUND LOOP HUM!!!!

I remember the 7500 manual having something about that. It says try unhooking the cable first. So I try that. Sure enough the hum is GONE. Thanks for the troubleshooting guude outlaw. Damn Cable.

I keep reading and the manual says I will need to insert a ground loop isolater. What is that? Can I do it myself? I also just got off the phone with the cable company and we tried just about every setting in the cable box. The hum got quieter but was still there. I'm having them send someone out.

#59103 - 04/02/06 12:17 AM Re: Thank you OUTLAW!
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
There are isolators that you can buy from Radio Shack or Parts Express for about $15 or less (the Dayton from Parts Express is probably the most often recommended), and you can easily connect it yourself. The cable company would provide the same sort of device when/if they send someone out - or they might fix the ground connection on your cable service, of course.

#59104 - 04/02/06 10:43 AM Re: Thank you OUTLAW!
gonk Offline
Desperado

There's also the Jensen VRD-1FF, which costs a bit more (around $60) but is probably one of the best around.

#59105 - 04/02/06 01:00 PM Re: Thank you OUTLAW!
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
Ground loops can be a little deflating when you've got all that new gear just ready to sing. I can recommend the Jensen since I use it to eliminate a ground loop caused by my cable. The RS or PE models may work equally well for less money. Even better get the cable company to come out to your house and correct the problem.

Enjoy your system!

#59106 - 04/02/06 01:57 PM Re: Thank you OUTLAW!
Jack_Dotson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Corpus Christi, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
There's also the Jensen VRD-1FF, which costs a bit more (around $60) but is probably one of the best around.
Good recommendation Gonk. I picked up a ground loop and had to put one of these in my system. Not only did it get rid of my hum, it improved the picture to my TV. I highly recommend this devise.

BTW, my system was free from hum and then one day it just started? No equipment changes, etc.

#59107 - 04/02/06 04:44 PM Re: Thank you OUTLAW!
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

This is only my second post in the Saloon (Star Trek-like “Non-interference” doctrine at Outlaw). However I wanted to comment on the “dreaded ground loop hum”.

I too encountered the problem and at first, purchased an inexpensive ground loop isolator. While the hum was totally eliminated, I encountered countless digital freeze-ups of the picture on my HD cable box. In addition, the "music on demand" channels were unusable due to constant and lengthy drop-outs.

Scott recommended that I give the Jensen solution a try. I visited their site and after reading their technical data I recognized that ground loop elimination is one of their core competencies. I purchased the VR-1FF nearly a year ago. Like the inexpensive transformer it totally eliminated the hum. However, the digital freeze-ups were also completely eliminated by the Jensen piece.

My particular set of circumstances was pretty severe and while more expensive than most of the other transformers, the Jensen solution totally cleaned up my problem.

Are there other products that would have done the job? I am sure that some are out there. But in my case, I did not have the time for a lengthy science experiment. The Jensen piece removed a lot of frustration in my home and that means a lot (especially when my wife was watching Lost and the picture froze). Like anything else however-YMMV. Just my two cents.

Peter

#59108 - 04/02/06 07:46 PM Re: Thank you OUTLAW!
Garrett Adams Offline
Gunslinger

My Comcast cable hum was cured from outside the house when I had my first HD cable box installed a few years ago. Twenty plus years prior the cable had been run from the pole drop into my house uninterrupted. The installer ran a new drop to a ground block which then ran into the house. He attached the ground block wire to the nearby service panel conduit.

That was a good day, HD and hum-free in one fell swoop.

#59109 - 04/03/06 08:00 AM Re: Thank you OUTLAW!
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Peter,

I guess nobody clued in to who you are!

So let me beat them all to it and say screw the Star Trek policy. Drop in more frequently and share your wealth of experience and wisdom with us.

No need to engage in debates on the merits of your products, but topics such as this one are fair game.

Hey, if you can't pee in your own sandbox...

#59110 - 04/03/06 11:57 AM Re: Thank you OUTLAW!
Bugbitten Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Western KY
Jeff,

I'll bite. Who is PeterT?

Bug
x-Statiks, x-voce, x-omni

#59111 - 04/03/06 12:08 PM Re: Thank you OUTLAW!
gonk Offline
Desperado

PeterT is Peter Tribeman.

Who's Peter Tribeman? smile Peter Tribeman is Outlaw's president.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 184 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward, jamescuz
8713 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,713 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM