Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#58887 - 03/28/06 06:45 AM How to connect a Blue Ray DVD Player?
CI Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New City, New York, USA
Just curious.... these players are about to hit the market (as are HDDVD), and I wondered if they connect to the 990 DVI input or some other connection (componant?).

Also, in my setup, I have used up all of the digital inputs (coax and TOSLINK), and wondered if in this case the DVI or componant input can be used. Or..., is there some type of remote control swither that can be used??

Appreciate any comments on this!

CI

#58888 - 03/28/06 07:30 AM Re: How to connect a Blue Ray DVD Player?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If your display supports DVI or HDMI, you would want to run the player's HDMI either straight to the display or (if you have a second DVI/HDMI source) through the 990's DVI switching. At the same time, you'll want to make an audio connection to the 990. If you were to use the coaxial or optical input, you would be restricted to Dolby Digital or DTS audio - the 7.1 analog output (or 5.1, in the case of the initial Toshiba HD-DVD players for some odd reason) could be connected to the 7.1 Direct input on the 990 and would allow you to hear the new audio formats (Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD, and Dolby TrueHD, although TrueHD is limited to two-channel on the initial HD-DVD players).

If you did decide to use a coax or optical input and haven't got any more inputs available, there are some switch boxes around that could let you use the same digital input on the 990 for two different devices. The DVI and component inputs are video only, however.

#58889 - 03/28/06 10:24 AM Re: How to connect a Blue Ray DVD Player?
CI Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Gonk...

The problem with the 7.1 inputs on the 990 is that they are already taken by an SACD player's output. Perhaps, as with the coax situation, there is a 7.1 switchbox out there....

CI

#58890 - 03/28/06 10:34 AM Re: How to connect a Blue Ray DVD Player?
gonk Offline
Desperado

There aren't really many (any) good solutions for switching 7.1 analog. There used to be a guy (Shawn Fogg - I think he was a regular at HTF) building 5.1 switch boxes, but the site he sold them through now just sells RS-232 translators for integrating surround processors with projectors or scalers. Sony made a 5.1 pre-amp (the TA-P9000) to provide 5.1 analog capability for their TA-E9000 processor, but they discontinued both units years ago and they're really hard to find now. Back before universal DVD-A/SACD players became prevalent, many people used gangs of Radio Shack switch boxes with some success, but it's a rather bulky and ugly approach. Maybe there's an opportunity here for Outlaw... smile

#58891 - 03/28/06 11:47 AM Re: How to connect a Blue Ray DVD Player?
CI Offline
Gunslinger

let's hope...!

#58892 - 03/28/06 12:19 PM Re: How to connect a Blue Ray DVD Player?
Brad225 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tampa Fl
Gonk I'm sort of glad you didn't just say you can buy a nice switching device from so and so for 75 bucks. I had been looking for just such a unit for some time and finally decided to make one. I finished the last of the 96 solder connection last night. My plump fingers and tiny connection were not made for each other, I can't tell you how many times the puff of smoke was from me and not the solder.

#58893 - 03/28/06 12:25 PM Re: How to connect a Blue Ray DVD Player?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Well, there is that one place...

Seriously, I've also not seen any signs of a good (or even a bad) 7.1 switcher. The era of dueling DVD-A and SACD players came and went without the arrival of one, and I wonder if we'll see anybody come up with one now that we're about to start seeing an even worse duel (DVD-A/SACD combo players vs. Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD). I think we can safely assume that none of the big outfits are going to do anything about it, so it may be an opportunity for somebody like Outlaw do step into the gap.

#58894 - 03/28/06 01:22 PM Re: How to connect a Blue Ray DVD Player?
treetownal Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: New York City
This site claims their switch box can be used for SACD/DVD-Audio, but it is only 5.1. It runs about $250. Hopefully they or someone else comes up with a similar product for 7.1.

>>The Zektor HDS4.1 DVD-Audio and SACD 5-Channel Audio Switcher is a 4 input, 1 output, compoent video switcher that can be used as a 5.1 channel audio switch. It allows switching between SACD players and DVD-A players and one additional source, such as a Hometheater PC.<<

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/saausw.html
HSU VTF-2MKII
KEF Q9C center
KEF Q15.2 surrounds
KEF Q15 surround rears

#58895 - 03/29/06 10:51 AM Re: How to connect a Blue Ray DVD Player?
redrob Offline
Gunslinger

Might not be the cleanest solution, but I bet a Sony SB-V3000 (google it) could be set up to switch 7.1.

Every "input" on this box has 3 signals associated with it (left/right/video), and so 3 inputs could carry 8 channels. So with 6 "inputs", there's enough there to handle 2 7.1 devices. (I'm assuming the video channels could carry an audio signal).

With 6 outputs, you could even direct the signal to 2 devices if there was a reason to do that.

I've read that audiophiles have complained about the fidelity of the unit- so YMMV ;-). They occasionally show up for sale used. Don't think they're made anymore.

#58896 - 03/29/06 01:49 PM Re: How to connect a Blue Ray DVD Player?
treetownal Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: New York City
Zektor will offer a switching device...If anyone is interested, here is what they told me
>>...we had a prototype on display at the last CEDIA show with the model mane MAS7.1. It will be a four in, one out eight channel analog audio switch. It will be controllable with an IR remote, A hard wired IR jack in the back, RS232 and buttons on the front. This product should be available by early summer. We have provided a solution of two HDS4.1 switches, stacked and run in parallel which switches 7.1 audio flawlessly and will only cost slightly more than the one switch solution available in the summer.<<

sounds like good news.
HSU VTF-2MKII
KEF Q9C center
KEF Q15.2 surrounds
KEF Q15 surround rears

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 312 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM