Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#58567 - 03/17/06 05:29 PM Re: On Screen Display?
John Menoni Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New York
Wait. If I run a dopey composite video cable or S-video cable to my projector, will it send a OSD signal to my projector if I'm using the DVI input? Right now not only can't I use the menu, but I can't see the volume and Dolby/dts systems on screen. As much as I love the outlaw, this is a bad design. If my old reciever and my sub $200.00 oppo dvd player can do it, my Outlaw 990 should be able as well. It would be worth the extra $ to have this.

#58568 - 03/17/06 06:04 PM Re: On Screen Display?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The volume and other "pop-up" info only works with inputs that use composite or s-video. Those pop-ups will persist when the composite and s-video inputs are transcoded to component.

Your old receiver was probably also able to pop data like that up onto the composite and s-video inputs, but it's basically unheard of for data like that to be overlayed onto component inputs (I can't think of any surround processor that will do it, although someone out there may know of one).

#58569 - 03/21/06 09:27 PM Re: On Screen Display?
Randomcreek Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: PA, USA
john is right that the Oppo Digital DVD player does output the player's menu information over the DVI output. The lack of OSD availability on the 990 is just an inconvenience that you just have to a work around by running an S-video (or composite) line to the display. Problem is that when the display switches to show the 990 OSD menu your video picture will disappear (and then return when the menu is cancelled). Perhaps Outlaw engineers can figure out how Oppo does this and if it's software driven, then maybe we can see this as a sweet firmware upgrade? -Don

#58570 - 03/21/06 09:47 PM Re: On Screen Display?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Alas, I think it's safe to say that will not be possible. The Oppo can provide an OSD over DVI because it is a video player - complete with a nice array of video chips that can not only handle the math but can do so without breaking HDCP compliance on the output (an absolute essential for a DVI/HDMI switcher). The 990's digital video switching (the DVI portion) is pure switching, similar to the component video switching on the previous generation of processors (that generation lacked not only OSD on component but transcoding from s-video or composite to component). The 990 just wasn't built to do this - the cost required would be significant (my SWAG from another recent thread was $100 just to get the OSD), which is a lot of money to get OSD over the DVI output when you already have it on every other monitor output (composite, s-video, and component).

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 161 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward, jamescuz
8713 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,713 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM