Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#58482 - 03/21/06 01:09 AM Re: Outlaw vs Arcam AVR300
cpd Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Not sure if we're allowed to link threads in other forums, but there's a guy named Russdawg on AVS that owned a 990 and sold it as soon as he heard the AVR300.

"If I hadn't bought an Anthem MCA 50 only weeks earlier I would have bought this receiver on the spot and called it a day. Instead I ditched my Outlaw 990 as I stated in my above post and bought the Arcam 700 pre/pro."

That's the first direct comparison that I have seen. I'll encourage him to post more detailed observations here.

Chris

#58483 - 03/21/06 07:28 AM Re: Outlaw vs Arcam AVR300
silversport Offline
Desperado

Loc: ChicagoLand/USA
well that's why they make Ford AND Chevy...some like the sound of one and some like something else...over on another forum, A guy wrote me when I was looking to buy my 950/7100/LFM-1 combo...told me how terrible Outlaw was (only one to say how bad Outlaw was...and I got LOTS of replies)...well after I bought my outlaw gear and espoused its virtues (elsewhere) and how much I liked it, he felt it necessary EVERYTIME I posted to also offer his view (hey that's his right) but he was always in the minority...I see that he even tried the 990 (he says)...interesting...if I HATED a product as he claimed, I wouldn't try anything else from them...of course we all know there are those who just keep trying out gear after gear (perhaps never really buying any)...I STILL enjoy my Outlaw gear and I have helped to bring others here because of that enjoyment and the want to help other people looking for a superior product.
I think MarkBK did a VERY extensive test of the gear he tried out...I read his reviews of the Arcam BEFORE he tried the Outlaw...I really didn't think he would like the Outlaw after the glowing reports of the Arcam...he has some pretty nice McIntosh tube stuff too...(2 channel)...so I think the McIntosh was the benchmark...if he thinks the Outlaw stuff met that mark or came close I concur...we all have differing wants, likes dislikes etc...that's why they make different stuff...I would be VERY interested to read alternative (other products) reviews to see how that stacks up to my own experience...I WON'T be changing my Outlaw gear anytime soon.
Bill

...Let the Movies and Music Play...

#58484 - 03/21/06 07:33 AM Re: Outlaw vs Arcam AVR300
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Interesting that Russdawg's reaction to comparing the 990 and AVR300 differed so much from MarkBK's reactions (posted earlier in this thread). That's why there's more than one choice out there, though - different people like different things.

#58485 - 03/21/06 12:24 PM Re: Outlaw vs Arcam AVR300
braidkid Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: WA
Quote:
Originally posted by cpd:
Not sure if we're allowed to link threads in other forums, but there's a guy named Russdawg on AVS that owned a 990 and sold it as soon as he heard the AVR300.

"If I hadn't bought an Anthem MCA 50 only weeks earlier I would have bought this receiver on the spot and called it a day. Instead I ditched my Outlaw 990 as I stated in my above post and bought the Arcam 700 pre/pro."

That's the first direct comparison that I have seen. I'll encourage him to post more detailed observations here.

Chris
To keep things in perspective....
From what I've read of Russdawg's posts, he thought the AVR300 was comprable to the 990 with very little difference. In another post, he stated he ordered the AVP700 without hearing it.

I'll let you draw your own conclusions...
Denon DVD-2910
M&K LCR750
M&K Surround-55 tripole
Dual M&K VX-1250
Outlaw PCAs
Blue Jeans Component and HDMI
Panamax 5500

#58486 - 03/21/06 04:46 PM Re: Outlaw vs Arcam AVR300
vince32837 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Orlando
I save you guys the trouble...I am sitting on the fence, 990 vs. avp700...I grilled the AVP700 owners in PM messages. They claimed AVR300 is closer to the 990 but still better. They claim the $2200 Arcam AVP700 is in a different league than the 990 for 2-channel music and slightly better for DVD's with bullets flying and crash scenes...Surround music in DVD's AVP700 different league from the 990.

Mark's comment that he's keeping the 990 over an arcam unit caused trauma............The AVP700 freezes on those guys every other week now. Static issues etc who knows? Unaccepetable for $2200!

Each guy must decide for himself I guess,
Vince

#58487 - 03/21/06 07:11 PM Re: Outlaw vs Arcam AVR300
MarkBK Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle America
Quote:
Originally posted by Jack_Dotson:
Please share some more details about how you conducted your review. Exactly how did you do the level matching? You said you used a RS meter, but did you use the same speakers, souce, cables, etc. and then switch back and forth?

Also, you described the sound of both for HT and two channel audio. How did you listen to each? Via Analog and digital or digital for movies and analog for music, etc.

More details please.

Thanks for the review.
Jack,Sorry - quite busy lately.
I matched output levels using the DB meter and test CDs. I used Outlaw PCAs and my RF5s,RC7 and RS7 Klipsch Reference speakers, Denon 2900 and then a modified Philips 963A for playing the music and videos. I listened to music mainly using 7.1 direct and did a few selections using the CD inputs with DSP for testing some of the options on both Arcam and Outlaw.
Movies were done with Outlaw PSC cables. Tried DTS,NEO6,Dolby and PL IIx movie modes.

#58488 - 03/22/06 07:55 PM Re: Outlaw vs Arcam AVR300
cpd Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by silversport:
I WON'T be changing my Outlaw gear anytime soon.
In the end, that's what it's all about. A lot of the previous equipment that I've owned never gave me THAT feeling. You know: that you can't pry this out of my hands no matter what. Even when I owned the more expensive Anthem AVM30, I thought something was missing. For me, the Arcam is it (not that my wife would believe me), and the 990 is "it" for a lot of people too.

For what it's worth, I've never had any static or freezing issues in the seven months that I've owned it. There is some speculation about a bad batch.

Chris

#58489 - 03/23/06 08:45 PM Re: Outlaw vs Arcam AVR300
BMc Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the excellent report. If you still have the Arcam and have speakers that are bi-wireable I suggest trying the AVR300 with channnels 6 & 7 set to biamp in the Basic menu. This will make the Arcan sound even better.

I did an Outlaw 1070 - Arcam AVR300 shootout and kept the Arcam. With a $1100 cost difference that is not a fair compairson.

#58490 - 04/02/06 02:32 PM Re: Outlaw vs Arcam AVR300
Jack_Dotson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Corpus Christi, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkBK:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jack_Dotson:
[b] Please share some more details about how you conducted your review. Exactly how did you do the level matching? You said you used a RS meter, but did you use the same speakers, souce, cables, etc. and then switch back and forth?

Also, you described the sound of both for HT and two channel audio. How did you listen to each? Via Analog and digital or digital for movies and analog for music, etc.

More details please.

Thanks for the review.
Jack,Sorry - quite busy lately.
I matched output levels using the DB meter and test CDs. I used Outlaw PCAs and my RF5s,RC7 and RS7 Klipsch Reference speakers, Denon 2900 and then a modified Philips 963A for playing the music and videos. I listened to music mainly using 7.1 direct and did a few selections using the CD inputs with DSP for testing some of the options on both Arcam and Outlaw.
Movies were done with Outlaw PSC cables. Tried DTS,NEO6,Dolby and PL IIx movie modes. [/b]
So you used the 5.1 analog inputs? Then there should be very little, if any, difference between the two units as you were using the transport, DAC's, etc. of the source equipment.

Same thing for CD's, especially using DSP modes.

The only way to compare the two is using the digital inputs for music and movies so your are listening to the processors DAC's, etc. Comparisons should be made in a pure bypass mode with no tone controls, DSP effects, etc.

For movies you said you use the Outlaw PSC cables. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this a video cable? This certainly would be fine to compare the video between the two units, but how about the audio? I assume you were using the digital inputs, correct?

Just trying to make sure there is a good comparison here. Many were happy to hear your results, but I'm surprised they didn't question the testing methods a bit more to ensure they were valid.

BTW, I sold my Model-750 pre-processor which I still consider to be the best bang for the buck on the market. And, I expect nothing less from Outlaws new offerings.

#58491 - 04/02/06 02:35 PM Re: Outlaw vs Arcam AVR300
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The PSC cable is equally at home as a video cable and as a coaxial digital audio cable.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 174 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM