Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#58434 - 03/09/06 10:19 AM Need Suggestions - Advise
allenr Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Midwest USA
Hi All,
Maybe someone has a way around my problem. I have a 42 inch plasma on the front wall at a height of 72 inches. My center channel is mounted above it. I installed a front projector on the back wall for movies and drop a screen down in front of the plasma when I use it. When I view using the projector the center channel sound is somewhat muffled. I am installing another center channel on the wall which will be below the bottom of the drop down screen and eliminate the muffling. What to do ? 1-Wire both center channels in parallel ? 2-Somehow use the second center channel output on the 990 for the lower speaker when needed ? 3- Purchase selector switch or speaker relay to relocate the output as needed? If so how can I maintain calibration when switching?

Thanks for any ideas!
Ron

#58435 - 03/09/06 10:55 AM Re: Need Suggestions - Advise
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
There are a few options that occur to me. One would be to get an acoustically transparent screen (assuming that's an option). Another would be to relocate the original center to below the level of the screen (which might also involve lowering the plasma a bit so the bottom edge of both the plasma and the projection screen line up). A third would be to put a selector switch at the amp output to select between the two centers. There would be the potential for level calibration issues with that third option (although not necessarily if you had identical center speakers); if there was one, you might be able to put a gain control in the louder signal path to pull it down to the same level as the quieter signal path.

#58436 - 03/10/06 10:58 AM Re: Need Suggestions - Advise
allenr Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hi,

Fusdalow on the new screen. Guess I'll try switching.

Thank you!

Ron

#58437 - 03/10/06 11:30 AM Re: Need Suggestions - Advise
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
Try one of these . I have used them many times and they are great.

#58438 - 03/10/06 10:28 PM Re: Need Suggestions - Advise
unpossible Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Minneapolis
How about using a mono amp for each center (e.g. splice the center output to two Outlaw Model 2200s), but instead of switching the audio signal itself, switch the amps by turning on whichever one on that you want and leaving the other off. You could switch manually with the power buttons, or in an automatic fashion by switching the 12V trigger. To setup 12V trigger switching run the 12V trigger signal through some sort of selector (an A/B speaker selector would probably work) to select the signal to go to either amp. The amp (and therefore) speaker that is not selected will not power up. I assume that would work...just a thought that eliminates the need to send the audio signal through some sort of additional, analog, switching device.

That assumes you don't mind buying another amp I guess. And I suppose the amp that is turned off may increase the effective capacitance of the split cable or something...but I think that would be less of an impact than a switching device in the audio path.

#58439 - 03/11/06 10:11 PM Re: Need Suggestions - Advise
allenr Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Unpossible,

Now that's a good idea !

Amp shopping I will go.

Thanks!

Ron

Who's Online
0 registered (), 184 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward, jamescuz
8713 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,713 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM