Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#57948 - 02/19/06 11:36 AM 990 lip sync, etc..
bimmer Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: ct
Hello. I'm new to the board.

I'm looking into purchasing a 990/7125 combination and have a couple of questions. Hopefully someone on this board can advise me.

I am somewhat confused from reading the 990 manual concerning the lip sync. The manual states that the lip sync cannot be used for audio only inputs.

Here's my problem - I want to use the 990 for AUDIO ONLY. I'm sure someone is going to ask why do I want to do this and there is a good reason.

I have all of my equipment (vhs,dvd,OTA HDTV) going into into a scaler with a 1080i output directly to my projector. This is the only way I can handle video because my projector can not "auto sense" 1080i - so to use 1080i, I must send it a 1080i signal. The scaler does this for me.

What I want to do is connect the audio from my vhs, dvd, and ota hdtv into the 990. Vhs will go into analog input, dvd and hdtv will go into optical inputs. Unfortuantely, I need to add a lip sync delay because of the delay in the scaler. I'm not even sure if the 250ms max will be enough but it is better than nothing.

So, since the manual says you cannot set lip sync on an "audio only" selection - can I setup an input as video+audio and simply not connect anything to the video input and still get my audio to process with the delay? Or must I put some dummy video signal into the input in order for the delay to work?

One additional question - is the OSD only overlay? Could I, for example, not use a video input signal, and still get an OSD coming out the composite output? This would allow me to connect the OSD to another input on the scaler, allowing me to view the osd directly on the projector.

Thanks in advance.

#57949 - 02/19/06 11:57 AM Re: 990 lip sync, etc..
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The lip sync settings cannot be adjusted for audio inputs (CD, tape, AUX). Any video input (DVD and Video 1 thru Video 5) do offer the lip sync adjustment, even if you don't run a video signal through the 990.

The OSD menu overlays on top of composite and s-video sources and replaces component inputs with a blue screen background. If you were to connect the composite monitor output from the 990 to your display when there was no video input signal present, the menu would overlap on top of a black screen.

#57950 - 02/19/06 01:49 PM Re: 990 lip sync, etc..
obie_fl Offline
Gunslinger

bimmer - Just to add slightly to what gonk said, I do pretty much exactly what you described. The only video connection on my 990 is the S-Video output to my scaler, which I use when I need to make some adjustments in the OSD. As long as you don't use the three inputs gonk mentioned you should have lip synch adjustments.

#57951 - 02/21/06 07:23 AM Re: 990 lip sync, etc..
bimmer Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: ct
Thanks guys. It looks like I'll have no problems at all.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 312 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM