Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#57936 - 02/24/06 03:48 PM Re: Can I use Balanced and Un-Balanced at the same time, on the same output channel?
BloggingITGuy Offline
Desperado

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon
Wouldn't the powered woofer normally be fed low level signal from the subwoofer out on the pre-pro?

#57937 - 02/24/06 03:52 PM Re: Can I use Balanced and Un-Balanced at the same time, on the same output channel?
jester7677 Offline
Gunslinger

No, I have a EP600 for that. The powered woofer would play the L (or R) signal in the 35hz-240hz range (making a guess at the high end cut).

#57938 - 02/24/06 03:57 PM Re: Can I use Balanced and Un-Balanced at the same time, on the same output channel?
obie_fl Offline
Gunslinger

Nope. Jester like me wants to run just the stereo bass to the L&R woofer not the LFE and redirected bass.

Jester - This is disapointing news as I was hoping to use this exact set up. When you say not mechanically possible, do you mean you can't physically fit the two connectors at the same time or something else? Sorry if I'm being dense here.

#57939 - 02/24/06 04:05 PM Re: Can I use Balanced and Un-Balanced at the same time, on the same output channel?
BloggingITGuy Offline
Desperado

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon
Ahh, I understand.

So basically, in order to do what you want to do with that amplifier, you have to use unbalanced connections for the fronts and split the output from the pre-pro using some sort of Y splitter?

Whereas in your perfect world, you'd like to be able to use the balanced connection to connect the pre-pro to the amp and the unbalanced to connect from the pre-pro to the speaker's amp?

And since the pre-pro will only send signal to balanced or unbalanced and not both at once, you can't do what you want?

I think I understand now. Thanks.

#57940 - 02/24/06 04:06 PM Re: Can I use Balanced and Un-Balanced at the same time, on the same output channel?
jester7677 Offline
Gunslinger

If the Balanced is plugged in, there is no signal from the unbalanced connection in the back of the 990. I'd love to be doing something wrong, but this is not hard, so I cannot imagine any other answer than there is some sort of shut off on the unbalanced if balanced is used.

Again, boooo... smile

And yes Blog, now your on the same page.!

#57941 - 02/24/06 04:11 PM Re: Can I use Balanced and Un-Balanced at the same time, on the same output channel?
obie_fl Offline
Gunslinger

Gotcha that is what I originally thought but the "mechanically possible" threw me for a loop. So as soon as you pull the balanced connector the unbalanced starts back up I take it. Guess I'll stick to my Y connector on unbalanced.

Ground loops can be tricky to track down. Have you pulled your cable or sat coax feed just to see if the humm goes away?

#57942 - 02/24/06 04:16 PM Re: Can I use Balanced and Un-Balanced at the same time, on the same output channel?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
What are your your bass management settings, Jester? Also, do the unbalanced sub outputs go silent if the balanced sub output is active?

#57943 - 02/24/06 04:44 PM Re: Can I use Balanced and Un-Balanced at the same time, on the same output channel?
jester7677 Offline
Gunslinger

Oh, Ive done all I can to kill the humm.

My bass managment should not effect the turning on and off of a connection, no way. But to answer your question, Small all round, fronts cut at 40Hz, subwoofer yes. Again, I'm not looking to send the subwoofer out to my speakers...

#57944 - 02/24/06 05:19 PM Re: Can I use Balanced and Un-Balanced at the same time, on the same output channel?
openhelix Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Okay guys, no warranty expressed/implied/etc, but it should be fairly trivial to build a split cable off the balanced source. A cable with one head (XLR) and two tails (one XLR, one RCA).

#57945 - 02/24/06 05:53 PM Re: Can I use Balanced and Un-Balanced at the same time, on the same output channel?
obie_fl Offline
Gunslinger

gonk - I believe jester is using the left and right channels not the sub channel. Valid question though anyone using the balanced and unbalanced sub outputs at the same time?

jester have you disconnected everything from the 990 except the two unbalanced lines going to the RS1K amps? If so does it still hum? It took me a while to get all the hum out of my system but it is now hum free.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 312 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM