Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#57913 - 02/18/06 01:28 PM Channel Calibration Questions
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
I have a couple of questions regarding channel calibration that I hope the members of this forum can help me with.

Some background: I did the channel calibration for each speaker (more on the subwoofer later) with a tape measure and a RS SPL (75dB from each channel with the main volume at 0dB). I tried the auto calibration to see if there were any differences (there were significant ones) and I kept the settings from the manual method. I have been listening to more music in stereo using the 990's digital coax input and upsample mode.

1. When listening to stereo or upsamle the left channel is too loud (or right channel too low) with the settings from manual calibration. To bring the voices (or instruments) to the center I have to increase the right channel between 3dB and 5dB depending upon the source. The delta between my ears while listening to stereo and the SPL seems large. There is no difference between optical or coax inputs. I don't have analog connections between my universal player and the 990. Have others experienced this situation? Any idea why there would be such a large difference?

2. I have a single subwoofer in a corner of my family room. The crossover on the sub is set as high as it will go to allow the 990 to determine what frequencies it receives. I set my subwoofer level (both the gain on the sub and the 990's calibration) by ear based upon music I know however I want to make sure it is working with, not against, the system when listening to movies. During the manual calibration the SPL was all over the place even on the Slow setting and the volume was significantly louder than the other channels based upon my music preference. I think I've read some discussions about running the sub 10dB louder than the other channels. How have folks set up their subs in similar simple situations? Does anybody have a straight forward setup procedure?

Thanks for help!

#57914 - 02/18/06 02:48 PM Re: Channel Calibration Questions
mzpro5 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: The Northcoast
Can't specifically answer your questions but you may find some help on these links

Speaker Calibration

Subwoofer Calibration
Behringer A500
Samsung PN58A650, DirecTV HR-20 700
Sony CDP-545, Phillips CDR 765
Oppo BDP-93, Panasonic DMR E515
Technics SL-DL5
Squeezebox 3
Remote Harmony One

Who's Online
0 registered (), 248 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM