We got a Philips BDP-5010 BlueRay/DVD/CD player (approved by Consumer Reports) for Christmas and it's now connected to my 990 along with the Pioneer DV587A DVD/SACD/DVD-Audio/CD player I already had. The two of them together cost a bit more than half the list price of the Oppo (which by the way was at the top of the Consumer Reports list). Integrating the three units was kind of a kick. The Philips shares the 990's two DVI inputs with my SA cable box, both via Outlaw adapter cables, and of course the third Outlaw cable runs from the 990 output to my Panny 42" plasma TV. Audio-wise, an optical cable feeds the Philips's digital output to the 990 while a Mapleshade Ultrathin coax does the honors for the Pioneer. Both units play CDs and both play DVDs; the Pioneer handles high-def audio (so it still has 5 analog cables to the 990) and the Philips plays BR. The Philips does fine on DVDs, I was pleased to find, so I can now remove that bulky triple video component cable that ran from the Pioneer to the 990.
And everything works fine. We tested it on "The Dark Knight": terrific video quality and awesome sonics over my Maggie 1.6s. Now I hope to find another BR film that's maybe a little lighter.