From what I understand, buying any HDMI amp today and expecting it to work with the HD DVD formats tomorrow to include transmission of audio signal over HDMI is a gamble at best.

The HDMI standards involved are up in the air at the moment and I don't think anyone has a real clue when the issues of the new standards will be resolved.

From what I can tell, Outlaw went with the DVI connectors as they are 1) a much better connection (screw on versus flimsy snap in) 2) can be connected to HDMI sources anyhow with an HDMI to DVI cable and 3) most people who buy a device with HDMI switching that is HDCP compliant most likely will not be able to switch audio through the same cables once the newer HDMI standard has been set.

So really, you gain nothing by choosing an HDMI device today and there's a good chance that you will have problems with the HDMI connections tomorrow.

Besides, at the pricepoint that the Outlaw comes in at, there aren't a whole lot of pre-pros that do HDMI anyhow, are there? Unless you want to buy a receiver and use it as your front-end.

Perhaps someone with more info/knowledge can add more to all of this, but the Outlaw guys did a pretty good job of addressing this issue in the forums and the 990 FAQ already, if you ask me.