Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#57540 - 02/04/06 07:24 AM If you had a choice between......
MisterG Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: SW FL
A 990 or a Anthem AVM 30 and cost was not a issue what would you choose? I will not be using either for video switching. This is a tough decision. I keep going back and forth. I need your help and honest opinions. I plan on buying the 7700 one way or the other. Im currently building a new home and it will contain my first dedicated home theater and I want to do it right.
Equip.
Mirage 1295is mains
Mirage OMC-2 center
SVS PB12-Plus/2 (soon)
Definitive Technology UIWBP/A x 4 surrounds
OPPO DVD
Infocus SP5000
Monster AVS2000
Monster HTS5100mk II

#57541 - 02/04/06 08:44 AM Re: If you had a choice between......
3no Offline
Gunslinger

I had that same choice, although my Anthem dealer was actually (gently) pushing the D2. I don't need the video switching as between my PJ, HTPC and a Zektor I have that covered. What I will want in the future is HDMI inputs for full rez HD audio from the new formats, and neither the 990 nor AVM30 offer that (D2 apparently does). The audio section of the 990 is top notch and the entire unit costs less than whatever an AVM-30 upgrade to add HDMI will eventually cost.

When HD audio sources and pre/pro's are really available in a year or so I'll decide what to do at that time. I'll sell the 990 and buy whatever is best then, maybe Outlaw, maybe Anthem, or ???. Even at that time I probably won't need the video switching.

#57542 - 02/04/06 08:55 AM Re: If you had a choice between......
Doug917 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shawnee, KS
With the cost of the upgrade to the AVM30 (about $1500) youwould be at about 4 times the price of the Outlaw, and I feel really safe saying you would get nowhere near 4 times the performance. Both are great units, however. I would buy the Outlaw now and use it until the dust settles with the comming war. Almost anything you buy now (or any time), will likely be obsolete in a few years anyhow; why spend a ton on it?

#57543 - 02/04/06 10:37 AM Re: If you had a choice between......
daleda Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, Texas
With the gear you have listed, and the fact that you have stated you will buy the 7700, I would recommend the 990 (run it in XLR (balanced) mode and see what you think. With the 990's 30 day return policy, it is hard to resist. I've had many HE processors thru my system (the last being the Krell HTS) and I chose the 990 because of it's features, SOTA processor, and off course, the price! While all the format wars continue, it is absolutely ridiculous to spend "many" thousands of dollars on a processor that may be obsolete in a few months or a years time IMO. There have been some reviews of late stated that there is "little" of no discernable difference between the AVM20 and the 990.
That said, everything is system and room dependent, so it is ultimately up to your ears to decide. Granted, if I could afford a Krell 7.1, that is what I would own - but would it be 5 times better (MSRP) - I don't think so.

#57544 - 02/04/06 02:29 PM Re: If you had a choice between......
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
I've only heard the Anthem once, but I don't recall it being that exceptional (especially if you consider the cost). The only way to tell for sure is to audition them side by side and see which you prefer.

I'm somewhat demanding and have a rather low tolerance for mediocre gear and you can see below what I'm running. Of course, this being the Outlaw forums, I'm sure you expected to get this type of response. 8-)

Cheers,

#57545 - 02/04/06 06:22 PM Re: If you had a choice between......
MisterG Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thank you for the replies gentleman. I kinda figured i would get thses responces but what stands out most is what the future will bring or not bring. Since this will be used for 99% hometheater I presume 3x the price will not repersent 3x the sound quality. Everytime I think im going for the Anthem I always refer to this forum and tell my self im going for the Outlaw only to see a used Anthem and tell my self well you know the rest. Its a vicious circle. Thats it im buying the 990...
Matt

#57546 - 02/05/06 08:07 PM Re: If you had a choice between......
MisterG Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thank you again fellas! I just ordered the 990/7700 combo. Now I only have to 3 months to install them in to my home theater. The house I am building is suppose to be completed by April 30th I cant wait.....
I figured I would go ahead and order them to beat any possible price increase plus it might tapper my buying compulsion, Not

Matt

#57547 - 02/05/06 08:36 PM Re: If you had a choice between......
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
Heh. I actually purchased my Outlaw gear in advance of a move too. 8-) When I do the next move (next year), I'll likely be replacing my DT speakers, but I'll probably continue to use the Outlaw gear.

Good luck with the new toys!!!

Cheers,

Who's Online
0 registered (), 112 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 2
scoooter 2
Veeper 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics