Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#57498 - 01/31/06 07:37 PM 990/7125 is golden - talk about a keeper...
tmdlp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big D, Tx
A new gun slinger just adding my 2 cents worth. To anyone thinking about going w/ Outlaw.....
You won't be disappointed.
I moved from receiver (Denon 3300) to separates (990/7125 tandem). Looked at Rotel, ATI, Adcom, B&K, Anthem, etc.....

I have family that own Outlaw receivers and inter connects. They all liked dealing w/ Outlaw AND listening to there products.

The sound …. Very neutral, open and dynamic. Not bright or fatiguing. Sound stage is wide, deep and involving.
I listen to a variety of music/movies. Recently married into the Columbian culture, so I am having fun w/ the drums and brass/horns. Particularly Mana and Mark Anthony. Santana is cool, but there is so much out there in the Latin world. Harry “King” James is an oldie but goodie. You can really place all of the musicians. Seal, Earth-Wind & Fire, Crystal Method, Four Play, Telarc samplers, Nellyville, 50 cents …..I have not been disappointed.
Cruising around the menu is pretty straight forward.

I set my 990 up manually using the Radio Shack SPL meter. I’m running Paradigm reference Studio 60’s (front) set to small w/ the cross over at 40Hz. Some times I switch over to large and play around since the 7125 can hang.
Yes – the 7125 has plenty of power and presence. Unless you are in a big room running some dog efficient speakers ….. you will be fine. Except of course if you are running NAD receiver as a pre/pro as one of the gun slinger around here found out. It’s the NAD.

Movies: I have only started to play w/ movies. THX trailers sound really ...inviting.
Xbox sounds (digital optical) sweet and the video switching is very good.

Thoughts:
1. On the bass management thoughts running around on the web site. To be fair, I’m playing in digital world. I have had no problems. It would be nice to see a chapter in the fairly sparse manual on bass management and its intended uses (analog/digital – 2 channel or 7.1). A manual is to be used – or should I say read. Plus, once you live w/ the unit for some time …. You will know how to navigate around.

2. I don’t pretend to be an expert ….. I just like to help people step up from Home Theater in a box found at Fry’s or Best Buy (granted it is nice to see the magnolia centers – it is a good start)

3. I’m third generation audio (home theater) nut. Background: played w/ Dahlquist DQ-10s, McIntosh Pre/Amp/CD, Sony Esprie Amps, NAD, B&O turn tables, Celestion SL600, Klipsch kg2-Haresy-La Scala, Marantz tube receiver, Sequerra tuner (osilliscope and all), Magnepan, Quad electronics, B&W speakers, Aperion, Axiom, PSB, Paradigm ....

4. One complaint: If a company sells locking PCA inter-connect cables – you would like to ops-check them on there own intended equipment. Thus finding out the space management around pre out plugs really fell down.
Either it was designed by a non-user of audio equipment or fell thru the cracks. The rest of the back panel works.

Bottom line ... Really good stuff for a very fair price.

#57499 - 02/01/06 07:55 PM Re: 990/7125 is golden - talk about a keeper...
Scott Gammans Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ashburn, VA
Thanks for the review... I can't wait for my 990/7700 combo to arrive! laugh
Outlaw 990/7700 | Rocket RS760 fronts, RSC200 center, 4 RSS200 surrounds | SVS PB12-Ultra/2 sub | ScreenPlay 333 projector | Panasonic DMP-BD10 | Toshiba HD-XA2 | TiVo HR10-250 | Lumagen VisionHDP scaler | Denon DVD-2910 DVD | Motorola QIP-6416 DVR

#57500 - 02/01/06 10:59 PM Re: 990/7125 is golden - talk about a keeper...
Ed Zeppelin Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
I'm gonna have to 2nd that I can't imagine being disappointed with the 990(unless you want the moon AND the stars for 1.1k).Anyone even thinking about a prepro would be doing themselves an injustice by not auditioning the 990.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 112 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 2
scoooter 2
Veeper 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics