Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#57457 - 01/28/06 11:08 PM Re: Just got my 990 - and something isn't right
Doug917 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shawnee, KS
I am beginning to really experiment with the sub settings myself. I got my acoustic panels installed today and they made a nice difference in sound quality. I have also been trying to dial in the SMS-1 (a very very powerful piece of equipment).

I am quickly seeing that getting the sub to integrate smoothly and dialing in a flat frequency response through room treatment and the SMS-1 are quite easily making the biggest difference to my system I have ever heard.

I have the crossover on the 990 set to 80Hz and have the SMS-1 cutting things off at 100Hz with a 24dB per octave rolloff. On the other end I have the subsonic cutoff on the SMS-1 set to 22Hz with a 48dB per octave rolloff.

Out of curiosity, do you still get the static if you take the BFD out of the chain? I understand you want to use this piece, but I was just thinking you could try and if the issue cleared up you would know it is the cabling between the BFD and the amp or the 990, or there is an issue with the combination of the BFD/990 assuming you know the BFD was working fine with another setup before.

Yes, if you calibrate the sub on any input it will carry over to any other input. You are thinking correctly. I always calibrate the DD+PL2X mode first, then adjust the 2-channel offset if I need to for 2-channel sources. I have found with the room treatment and the SMS-1, I don't really have to use the offset anymore though.

I heard sound coming from my center today when dialing in the SMS-1. However, I think this should occur as the SMS-1 is connected to the 990 with L/R analog connections. Thinking on this now, I really need to investigat this further. If the bass managment is not working on the analog inputs, as many have stated, that would be why with the sub turned off I was still getting sound at the full dB level (not really rolled off) below the crossover of 80Hz on the 990 through the other channels.

If your unit was set to PLII with a digital input, I would assume you would get some from all channels. Correct me if I am missing something please.

I haven't seen any anomalies with the crossover using the digital connection from my CD player.

I believe you are correct (or pretty close to it if not) on your assumption of the rolloff slope.

#57458 - 01/29/06 04:58 PM Re: Just got my 990 - and something isn't right
AndrewS Offline
Gunslinger

Doug...

The bass management issues - as I understand them - are supposed to be only from an analog input - cd player or dvd player connected via analog. The subs are hooked to an analog output - as are the rest of the pre/outs.

I already tried taking out the DEQ2496 (a step up from the BFD) and it didn't do anything to quell the crackle. I'm still experimenting though.

#57459 - 01/29/06 05:24 PM Re: Just got my 990 - and something isn't right
Doug917 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shawnee, KS
My SMS-1 is connected via analog to the Video2 connection. I may move it to the 7.1 and see if it makes any difference.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 174 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM