Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#57381 - 01/25/06 10:31 PM Awful Video Quality From Composite Inputs-Component Output on 990?
robwas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Spotswood, NJ
Hello,

Today I just received my Outlaw 990 preamp. Hookup was pretty straight forward, I had no problem to speak of but I am seeing some serious image quality issues using an composite input source and outputting to television using the component output of the 990. When I simply bypass the 990 and hook the composite input into the television the quality is stellar in comparison. To better describe the condition, I can say it looks blurry and also washed out as well. I've tried the obvious ruling out a bad cable, etc. Also, I tested the same source using the 990's composite output and it looked MUCH better, maybe not quite as good as a direct connection (jaggier) but nothing nearly as bad as the composite-component upconversion. Is there anything I can try? I love the unit otherwise but this is a big issue, maybe I got something defective? I can take pictures of the screen if it'll help to illustrate this better.

Thanks in advance,

Robert Wasilewski

#57382 - 01/25/06 11:24 PM Re: Awful Video Quality From Composite Inputs-Component Output on 990?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Does your TV have any issues with receiving 480i signals through the component input? Also, have you tested a component signal through the 990's switching, just to help get a baseline (help rule out a manufacturing defect)?

#57383 - 01/26/06 12:48 AM Re: Awful Video Quality From Composite Inputs-Component Output on 990?
robwas Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Gonk,

I have tried using component sources, the video look s fine. I have also tried using the composite output from the 990 into the tv and with composite input sources that looks fine too. The problem seems to occur when we're going from composite input to component output... the image simply falls apart in my opinion. It resembles a VHS tape that's been copied at least once onto another VHS tape. In addition the color balance is way off, it's extremely yellow once converted. I could understand some loss from the conversion but I never imagined it'd be this severe. Is this just perhaps the nature of the beast and something that should never be done?

In regards to my television, I own a Panasonic CT-38HX42F, the manual says it can do 480i, 720p and 1080i. I've had the tv for awhile and used it with a variety of components, all looked fine plugged directly into the television. Component sources routed through the 990 also look great on the tv as well.

Rob

#57384 - 01/26/06 01:38 AM Re: Awful Video Quality From Composite Inputs-Component Output on 990?
robwas Offline
Gunslinger

I took the time to take some pictures depicting what I'm seeing, hopefully this helps. Here's the link:

http://www.truetolight.com/post/990/index.htm

Rob

#57385 - 01/26/06 08:31 AM Re: Awful Video Quality From Composite Inputs-Component Output on 990?
Doug917 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shawnee, KS
Robwas,

I talked to you a bit on the AVS forum. I believe you said the output was from a PS2 or something. Do you have another type (S-video or so forth) you can use to connect the unit? Also more information on your projector model and seating distance would help as well.

#57386 - 01/26/06 08:32 AM Re: Awful Video Quality From Composite Inputs-Component Output on 990?
Doug917 Offline
Gunslinger

By the way, my composite video looked better than that when I tested it for you last night. However, I contribute much of that to the excellent deinterlacing of the ScreenPlay 4805.

#57387 - 01/26/06 08:54 AM Re: Awful Video Quality From Composite Inputs-Component Output on 990?
sraber Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Green Bay, WI
I have also experienced lousy video quality when supplying a composite input to the 990 while outputting component to my display. (Panny 900U projector or Hit 57S500 RPTV.) I usually just try to avoid doing it whenever I can. My only composite source is my VCR which doesn't get much use anymore...

Later,
Simp
Outlaw Audio Model 2200 (center)
Rotel RMB-1075 (ss, rs)
f, B&W DM604S3
c, B&W LCR600S3
ss, B&W DM302
rs,Polk M3II
HSU VTF-3 MK3
APC H-15 Power Conditioner
Display: Panny PT-AE4000 Proj. + 92" DIY Screen
Little Dot MKIII Headphone Amp
Denon AH-D1100 Headphones (needed a quick, cheap set. looking for an upgrade worthy of the h/p amp.)

#57388 - 01/26/06 10:20 AM Re: Awful Video Quality From Composite Inputs-Component Output on 990?
robwas Offline
Gunslinger

Doug, the first source I tried was an Xbox, however, I have tried other sources and the pictures I posted just now were from a Pioneer DVD player's composite output. Projector? I don't own a projector yet, eventually I will but I'm currently using a Panasonic HDTV ready 36" CRT television set.

#57389 - 01/26/06 10:28 AM Re: Awful Video Quality From Composite Inputs-Component Output on 990?
AzRJ Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Glendale, Arizona
Rob,

I experience similiar image quality issues if I use the 990 to transcode from svhs to component. I don't see a loss of sharpness but I do see a washed out look (lower contrast) and a greenish tint (similar to your examples) to the overall picture. Outlaw acknowleged that transcoding is not perfect and they have seen "the slightest dark olive tint" with some monitors. Luckily, it's not a big deal to run a separate svhs cable from the 990 to my monitor. Other than the transcoding, I am very happy with the 990's video switching quality and of course it's sound.

My monitor is a Pioneer Elite 520 (53" CRT RPTV) and my svhs sources are a vcr, satelite, and Laserdisc.

#57390 - 01/27/06 02:52 PM Re: Awful Video Quality From Composite Inputs-Component Output on 990?
Bill B. Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mercer Island, WA
I've also noticed similar effects, but they seem to be dependent on the source. I'm using a Sharp XV-Z10000 front projector with inputs to its SVHS connector, component connectors and DVI connector. As my only DVI source is my LG LST-3410A, I don't switch that through the 990. However, I do route its component output through the 990 and its SVHS output through one of my analog VCRs, which in turn is routed through the 990. The projector converts all inputs to its native resolution of 720P. If the LG output is routed through the SVHS path as described above and I take the component ouput from the 990, all is well, but if the SVHS source is from the VCR itself (either internal tuner or tape), there is a noticable degradation introduced by the 990's transcoding. Since the projector's upconversion is superb, I always select the input corresponding to the highest quality output of the source, and everything looks great.

#57391 - 01/27/06 07:33 PM Re: Awful Video Quality From Composite Inputs-Component Output on 990?
Doug917 Offline
Gunslinger

robwas,

Sorry, from your pics, I made th assumption you had a projector. It has been a very long week for me. Or maybe it was just my sixth sense picking up that you will one day own a projector laugh .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 339 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ Yesterday at 03:13 AM