Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#57349 - 02/01/06 09:17 PM Re: Pronto NG codes
Landon Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, TX
I don't know, maybe an analogy is: only include printer drivers for the printer sold with the computer?

#57350 - 02/01/06 10:45 PM Re: Pronto NG codes
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I don't consider a component's remote control to be equivalent to a printer. A better analogy in this case might be to say "don't add the software for cruise control to someone's car if you didn't also give them the buttons to operate the cruise control."

#57351 - 02/02/06 09:23 AM Re: Pronto NG codes
3no Offline
Gunslinger

Landon-

I love analogies:

1) How about an iPod adapter in the car (you have to buy the iPod separately, and those w/o an iPod get no benefit). To gonk's point only a few automakers include it. Yet some do.

2) How about those pesky 2 extra channels that the 990 has that my old Denon did not. If I want to make use of them I'll have to buy 2 more channels of amplification and 2 more speakers for my 5.1 setup.

3) Firmware... how about "2 channel subwoofer offset"? (not to mention the 2nd sub out jack that must have added close to $1 to my price). I'd have to buy another sub to use it. Those few people who already have spent big $$$ for a 2nd sub may like it, but should I be insulted that Outlaw included it in my 990?

#57352 - 02/02/06 10:55 AM Re: Pronto NG codes
gonk Offline
Desperado

smile - this is fun, isn't it?

I may be misunderstanding your third item, 3no, but the two-channel sub offset doesn't require you to have a second sub - it requires to you have a sub, so that you can turn that sub down when listening to two-channel material, but it has nothing to do with two subs.

Before we get too carried away with our analogies, I was wondering something earlier this morning in relation to the root of our discussion. As I understand it, the original request here (aside from the Pronto file that started the thread) was for discrete commands for directly activating each different processing modes. Taken literally, that's at least 24 discrete commands (Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Digital plus Pro Logic II-C, Dolby Digital plus Pro Logic II-M, Dolby Digital plus Pro Logic IIx-C, Dolby Digital plus Pro Logic IIx-M, Dolby Stereo, Dolby Digital plus Dolby Virtual Speaker, Pro Logic II-M, Pro Logic II-C, Pro Logic II plus Dolby VS, Pro Logic IIx-M, Pro Logic IIx-C, Pro Logic IIx plus Dolby VS, DTS, DTS ES-Matrix, DTS plus Pro Logic IIx-C, DTS plus Pro Logic IIx-M, DTS plus Dolby VS, Stereo, Stereo 5, Stereo 7, Upsample, and Stereo Bypass - and I probably missed a couple). Obviously this is technically feasible, and I can see a few scenarios relating to macros where it could be useful, but in general that seems really tedious to actually use. If Outlaw were to actually follow through with adding that many discrete codes, I think I would have to change my position on the issue - I doubt most users of the stock remote or of universal remotes that lack PC connectivity would care overly much about not being invited to the party if the party gets that complex. In my case, I'd probably end up dumping all 20+ commands into my MX-700 just for the sake of completeness, but then only map a handful of those commands to different device pages (upsample, PLIIx-M, and Stereo 7 to the CD input, for example). I do still think that I'd rather see a remote command added that would display the current surround mode on the front panel display (possibly followed by the incoming signal format while we're at it) before programming time was invested in all of those discrete codes, simply because that single command would be likely to be much more widely and easily used.

#57353 - 02/02/06 11:22 AM Re: Pronto NG codes
Lonster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Eureka CA.
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:

I do still think that I'd rather see a remote command added that would display the current surround mode on the front panel display (possibly followed by the incoming signal format while we're at it) before programming time was invested in all of those discrete codes, simply because that single command would be likely to be much more widely and easily used.
+1

Lonster

#57354 - 02/02/06 07:11 PM Re: Pronto NG codes
3no Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
sure is wink
Quote:
In my case, I'd probably end up dumping all 20+ commands into my MX-700 just for the sake of completeness, but then only map a handful of those commands to different device pages (upsample, PLIIx-M, and Stereo 7 to the CD input, for example).
me too
Quote:
I do still think that I'd rather see a remote command added that would display the current surround mode on the front panel display (possibly followed by the incoming signal format while we're at it)
Even better, but only after they put the OSD on DVI (or maybe on HDMI by then). Although it does pose problems for music listening with the projector off.
Quote:
before programming time was invested in all of those discrete codes
Properly structured software to do this (and we should assume Outlaw has top notch folks doing this) would be table driven, and the difference between 100 codes and 120 would simply be 20 more table entries. That's why this is such an easy decision to include the new codes as the implementation time/effort is low, as is the risk of collateral damage. It's there for those that need it, and doesn't harm those that don't.

#57355 - 02/02/06 08:13 PM Re: Pronto NG codes
gonk Offline
Desperado

The OSD can't be put on DVI with the hardware currently in place - the DVI inputs are switched directly to the DVI output, with no digital video processing (so no way to introduce additional data of any kind into the signal path). No amount of software changes will change that limitation, I'm afraid. Looking toward future products, however, I hope that it will be possible to include transcoding of analog video sources to a digital video output - which would allow a single monitor output to carry every incoming video signal. (Much like the 990 and the 1070/970 added transcoding to component, something that the 950 could not do.)

My only point on the priorities for programming is that the current mode display is a separate task from discrete mode selection, and that the mode display is likely to benefit more users. If the mode display can be done, I'd think it would offer more "bang for the buck." Of course, if there's something that prevents the current mode display, I wouldn't want its absence to stop there from being discrete mode selections.

#57356 - 02/02/06 08:35 PM Re: Pronto NG codes
3no Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
The OSD can't be put on DVI with the hardware currently in place - the DVI inputs are switched directly to the DVI output, with no digital video processing (so no way to introduce additional data of any kind into the signal path).
That's what I meant by "or maybe on HDMI by then". It will be the next generation by the time we get an OSD on digital video, and HDMI will be the standard by then. Putting mode status on the OSD only helps those who are limited to component video.

#57357 - 02/02/06 10:03 PM Re: Pronto NG codes
gonk Offline
Desperado

As, so we're in agreement on the HDMI. The status I'm thinking of (scrolling the info across the front panel display) would help anyone using component or DVI who have their gear in a visible location, which of course isn't everyone but is still a decent number of folks.

#57358 - 02/02/06 10:42 PM Re: Pronto NG codes
3no Offline
Gunslinger

Mine's in the back near the PJ, like most FP-based theaters. I expect most RP or plasma-based theaters have it in the front near the TV.

If nothing else this exchange got my post count into double digits smile

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 174 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM