Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#57339 - 01/20/06 08:26 PM Pronto NG codes
Michael Feinstein Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a 990, and would like to know if anyone has a Pronto NG file (or the codes) for this processor. I checked Remote Central but could not seem to find anything. Thanks

#57340 - 01/20/06 08:45 PM Re: Pronto NG codes
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Can th Pronto NG use TSU3000 .pcf files? If so, I've got a couple of files here that might help you.

#57341 - 01/20/06 09:36 PM Re: Pronto NG codes
Michael Feinstein Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

It can and these are exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

#57342 - 02/01/06 10:56 AM Re: Pronto NG codes
3no Offline
Gunslinger

Does anyone know of discrete codes for selecting surround mode? The 990 remote has only toggle buttons for Dolby and DTS that sequence through the respective modes. I'd like codes that take me directly to the desired mode, without having to get up and look at the front panel to verify which mode it's in (video on DVI so can't see OSD either).

The files linked to by Gonk only duplicate the 990's remote buttons.

I've found discrete on and off codes on remotecentral, but nothing there has discrete surround mode codes.

Mark

#57343 - 02/01/06 11:02 AM Re: Pronto NG codes
gonk Offline
Desperado

At this time, there are no discrete codes for individual surround modes - all we have are the three mode buttons (Dolby, DTS, and stereo). There have been several requests for a remote command that would scroll the current mode information across the front panel display without changing modes, but we'll have to wait for the firmware update that is in development to find out if that can be added. Since the remote layout is fixed, it would have to use an existing command (such as the navigation "up" button, which does not do anything unless the 990's menu is active).

#57344 - 02/01/06 11:28 AM Re: Pronto NG codes
3no Offline
Gunslinger

Could not Outlaw utilize unused codes for these functions in a firmware update? Just like discrete on and off. Their remote doesn't have to change...

#57345 - 02/01/06 12:39 PM Re: Pronto NG codes
gonk Offline
Desperado

I would see two problems with using additional codes. First, it means that users who don't have a third-party universal remote can't make use of the functions tied to those codes - and that could readily be seen as a slap in the face to the typical user who still has their original 990's universal remote sitting on the coffee table. (True, you could "borrow" a second device on the remote and stick the commands there, but the interface would still be pretty clunky.) Second, you have the problem of how to distribute those codes to users whose third-party universal remotes would be well-suited to those codes. If you had a remote that connected to the computer (Pronto, Harmony, or the MX-700 and its siblings), it would be pretty simple. If you had a remote like the MX-500, Chameleon, One-For-All, Sony universal, or any of the numerous other universal remotes that don't have a PC interface, you're going to have a hard time with it - they'll be in similar shape as the folks using the 990's stock remote. I'd be very unwilling to add codes to the mix if I were in their shoes.

#57346 - 02/01/06 02:39 PM Re: Pronto NG codes
3no Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk-

I understand your point, but then why did the Outlaws include discrete on and discrete off codes in the firmware but not in their remote?

The purpose for including extra discrete codes, as many other manufacturers do, is so that custom programmable remotes, such as the Pronto which is the subject of this thread, can make use of them:
a) with the larger button real estate they have available
b) to create reliable macros that don't depend on the equipment being in a particular state.
Both reasons apply to discrete mode select codes.

As for distributing the information, the web does a fine job, e.g.:
http://rotel.com/downloads/prontocodes.htm
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-discrete/list.cgi

In my reading of this forum over the last week, I've seen your posts and the wealth of knowledge that you bring to the forum. I'm surprised that you would take a strong position for not including a feature that is useful to many, is incuded by many competitors, adds zero variable cost, and is very straightforward/localized to implement and test.

#57347 - 02/01/06 05:01 PM Re: Pronto NG codes
gonk Offline
Desperado

The remote does include discrete on and off codes, actually - the discrete on is provided by selecting any input, and the discrete off is provided by the power button.

I'm all for expanding the feature set of an existing product like the 990 through firmware updates, but I also see an argument against adding entirely new codes when many users will be left in the dark - knowing that their processor has a feature, but unable to use it because they haven't bought the right kind of $100+ third-party remote control. For an existing platform like the 990, I'd much rather they strive to add the most possible functionality within the constraints of the included remote control. For a future platform, where the remote control limitations are not already fixed, my viewpoint changes. I say that in spite of the fact that my remote of choice (the MX-700) is one of the remotes that could easily accommodate entirely new IR code commands - if they do choose to expand the feature set with new commands, I'll gladly use them, but I also choose not to expect to see those codes appear on the 990 for the reasons I've listed.

#57348 - 02/01/06 05:58 PM Re: Pronto NG codes
3no Offline
Gunslinger

Fair enough.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 339 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ Yesterday at 03:13 AM