Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#57324 - 01/20/06 01:59 PM Just ordered a 990 combo
Andrew S Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Atlanta
Well, I just ordered a 990/7125 combo. I've been examining my choices and reading like crazy since returning from CES, and decided to give the Outlaw components a try. For one reason or another, I was and still am really nervous about the purchase. I was also considering the Rotel RSX-1067 and Arcam AVR300 receivers. Something in the back of my mind keeps telling me "the receivers are more expensive, surely they must offer better sound quality". The 990 has received some good reviews from Ultimate AV and Home Theater Sound, but even so, it hasn't resolved my fears. I'm upgrading from an Onkyo TX-NR900 because I'm not happy with its musical qualities. Also seems to be lacking punch and presence. I guess my reluctance in purchasing from Outlaw all comes down to... "what the hell do I know about sound quality?"

I don't know why the heck I'm posting this, but I'm (now) really looking forward to trying these things out. I can only hope that all the good I've been reading is not simply because people purchased the equipment but that it's really the best value going for separates.

#57325 - 01/20/06 02:11 PM Re: Just ordered a 990 combo
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It's amazing how stressful purchases like this can be - or perhaps not, considering the pricetags that come into play. Having spent a lot of time with my 990 (and a bit of time with the Rotel's processor cousin the RSP-1068), I suspect that you'll enjoy your purchase. As you've no doubt already figured out, the forum is a good place to get questions answered as you start setting your new purchases up.

#57326 - 01/20/06 04:22 PM Re: Just ordered a 990 combo
Ed Zeppelin Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Congrats,I ordered a 990/7125 a few days ago and its on delivery for today.Having owned a 1068(technically still do)and a 1056 I currenty have in another room I always got a laugh out of it when someone would post"why buy the 1068 when you can get a 1056 w/free amps cheaper".The sound of these two was noticably different to me.On music the 1068 does a very good job,I have no adjectives other than it made music very listenable.The 1056 while head and shoulders above other $1k avrs for music,was not in the same leauge musically.I've had a pile of avr's and a few good prepros,every one was different w/music,for HT they were all good.

When I decided to set up my 2nd full blown HT I looked at everything I could but Outlaw got the nod based on their great price/service/warranty/following and reviews.The worst that could happen is I send it back but I've got great faith in the Outlaws.Hope it works out to your expectations,and mine.

#57327 - 01/20/06 04:30 PM Re: Just ordered a 990 combo
mzpro5 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: The Northcoast
Andrew

I know how you feel, 6 weeks ago I was in your shoes. Had ordered my 990/7125 combo and then had time to think. I kept thinking why did I spend that kinda money when I don't see how anything can sound THAT much better than what I currently have, especially since all my friends thought my sytem was very good.

Well the good news is I predict you will be very pleased and consider it an excellent investment. All the guys that thought I had a good system before could immediately tell the difference and agreed I got more than my money's worth.

The bad news is you'll go out and pick up alot of new media to try and then start thinking about doing some more upgrades which could really hit your pocket book. I'm currently thinking of replacing all my speakers. Does this disease have a cure?
Behringer A500
Samsung PN58A650, DirecTV HR-20 700
Sony CDP-545, Phillips CDR 765
Oppo BDP-93, Panasonic DMR E515
Technics SL-DL5
Squeezebox 3
Remote Harmony One

#57328 - 01/20/06 05:01 PM Re: Just ordered a 990 combo
Andrew S Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by mzpro5:
The bad news is you'll go out and pick up alot of new media to try and then start thinking about doing some more upgrades which could really hit your pocket book. I'm currently thinking of replacing all my speakers. Does this disease have a cure?
It was the replacing of the speakers that made me consider upgrading my receiver. So I've been there, done that, and crossed the road. Next up is a hd-dvd/blue-ray player, but that's probably a year out.

I'm exicited. No buyers remorse, just hoping that I haven't set expectations too high.

#57329 - 01/20/06 08:29 PM Re: Just ordered a 990 combo
harp795 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Louisville, KY
[/QUOTE]It was the replacing of the speakers that made me consider upgrading my receiver.
[/QB][/QUOTE]

Just curious....what speakers did you end up buying?

TIA,
Steve

#57330 - 01/21/06 08:44 AM Re: Just ordered a 990 combo
Andrew S Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by harp795:
Just curious....what speakers did you end up buying?
I have a set of Monitor Audio Silvers. S8's for the front mains, SLCR as the center, and S2's for the surrounds. Nothing too extravagant, but a fairly large upgrade from what I was previously using (Acoustic Research HC6).

#57331 - 01/21/06 06:13 PM Re: Just ordered a 990 combo
tonygeno Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: MA
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew S:
I can only hope that all the good I've been reading is not simply because people purchased the equipment but that it's really the best value going for separates.
I don't think the guys at Ultimate AV wrote good things because they purchaed the equipment, do you? They wrote good things because the 990 is a great piece. Don't worry, be happy.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 256 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM