Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#56482 - 11/25/05 09:31 PM Re: Bugs found, Please help confirm, isolate
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
NetGuy, you are clearly a knowledgeable user, and you are clearly experiencing some difficulties. Having hung around this forum (and a few others) for some years now, I've noticed that bass management is the most common source of confusion, frustration, and debate, so even when folks have a solid understanding it can be hard to untangle the issue (creating its own brand of confusion). No crack required... smile

#56483 - 11/25/05 09:38 PM Re: Bugs found, Please help confirm, isolate
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
i thought about that after the fact.

i can't help with the problem as i own a 1050,but i will say this:when i fried my sub amp,for awhile i used a technics reciever to power it.i had to run my teac eq with it to get a bit of gain.the eq had a spectrum on it,granted 'just a toy' as far as spectrums go,but it showed signal sloping off to 'nothing' around 2-4k.

i asked the question,i think in 1050 section,if this was normal.i don't think i ever got an answer

#56484 - 11/25/05 10:11 PM Re: Bugs found, Please help confirm, isolate
TheNetGuy Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk; This is why i have to write out as much info and test as possible to try to solve this ASAP. Since i am new at the forums I get the feeling that everyone just regards me as a newbie. Even after i try to clearly explain my setup/test methods I still get questions on something i already answered. But i am expecting this. As sometime i write long winded posts that are hard for people to digest.

ALSO a note to scott The avia test disc wideband test tone Is Full frequency from 20-20Khz, This is proved from my Scope of the inputs. And that fact that the same tones are used for the SMALL setting and Everything works well with SMALL.

I am suprise that you all are not familar with the AVIA test dvd on a technical (specification) basis. frown
Anyhow i will reference my test in a non Scoped fashion as well. (aka the sound )

The above was Analog tests
I finished my DIGITAL Tests the results are below

I found issues with this as well.
But some things are differn't then the analog.
Which tell me there is indeed issuses with the 990.

To Others out there please test my test and post your results.

Here are the results.

Conclusions:
Digital
The Sub is properly x-overed, but the Bug about the bass boost when the fronts are set to LARGE is still there.

The funny thing is that Even in BYPASS mode the bug is still present .

Stand alone Dvd player, 2 models
Cheap 49.95 special..... HAHA did not work at all
and toshiba sd-2750 Worked

Playing CD Bought from store Best of U2

DIGITAL OUT to CD optical 1 input of 990
990 set to 2 ch STEREO MODE

FRONT SPEAKER SETTINGS: LARGE

Sub = L/R + SUB

X-over settings for FRONT L/R = 40 - 200 (any)
Front speaker output = full frequency
SUB output = Works perfectely, X-over controls x-over points
NOTE All seems to work here
-
Sub = LFE Only
X-over settings for FRONT L/R = 40 - 200 (any)
SUB output = There is Output? Looks like a 80Hz X-over on the scope

NOTE: no matter what X-over i set, The Bass output stays the same level and ~80Hz on the scope.
-
Question: Why is their sub output at all? Is this normal? How is the unit getting LFE If the front set to large? After testing I pinpointed it down to the SUrr L/R mode setting. When the SURR is set to LARGE I get no sub output, When set to Small I get Sub output.
When i get sub out (surr = large) I Tried changing the X-over setting for all the Center/ Front and SUrround To no avail, ( i thought maybe the surr x-over would dictate the x-over im seeing the in scope)
In the end I could not change the 80HZ xover to the sub out no matter what x-over setting i change..

The only thing is When i set the Surr to Small, I get Sub output. and Surr = large i get no Sub.

YET another isuue: I even tried BYPASS(instead of STEREO) mode and the results are the same.

Why Am i even get output to the sub In stereo mode? Or even in bypass mode?
The only time i should be getting sub output in STEREO is when i set Front speakers to small...

Sub = NONE

X-over settings for FRONT L/R = 40
SUB output = NOTHING

X-over settings for FRONT L/R = 80
Front speaker output = Noticable Boost in low bass regions from 0-80
SUB output = NOTHING

X-over settings for FRONT L/R = 200
Front speaker output = Noticable Boost in low bass regions from 0-200
SUB output = NOTHING

Toggling form 40 - 200 Greatly increase the bass output difference

Once again this is faulty, I should not be getting Bass boost invertly to the x-over

AS a Test, I tried in BYPASS MODE, and Once again I got bass boost (same as stereo)

I thought bypass gave a straight path to the amp section without any bass management?

FRONT SPEAKER SETTINGS: SMALL
Sub = YES (only option available)

X-over settings for FRONT L/R = 40
Front speaker output = 40Hz +
SUB output = 0-40HZ as expected

X-over settings for FRONT L/R = 80
Front speaker output = 80HZ
SUB output = 0-80HZ as Expected (vocals partially heard)

X-over settings for FRONT L/R = 200
Front speaker output = 200Hz +
SUB output = 0-200 (vocals easily heard)

NOT: Looks like it is working here as intended

#56485 - 11/25/05 10:49 PM Re: Bugs found, Please help confirm, isolate
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
newbie wink or not,at one point we were all newbies.

doesn't matter,you have a problem,the saloon will help.

at least join me for a drink. laugh (i'll buy)

#56486 - 11/26/05 12:10 AM Re: Bugs found, Please help confirm, isolate
pboulang Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

As you can tell from my original thread, this was never addressed, and I suspect gentle readers thought I was not setting things up correctly. It wasn't a big enough issue for me to even call up outlaw..

However, my problem wasn't really one that effected me too much, as I have since added a sub to the mix and don't go in to Fronts=Large/sub=none mode at all now.

It looks like most of your issues revolve around having a sub in play, yet also setting fronts to LARGE. My fronts go down to 38Hz, and since the rule of thumb is to be able to reach down an octave below crossover, I have a crossover set to 80 and speakers set to small.

Are you running fronts that can go so low that it makes sense to have the setting as LR + LFE (I like your term better)?

Not trying to say there ISN'T a bug, just that it is a non-ordinary setup that I can understand why there may be QA issues (I can only confirm #1 in your post at this time.) My personal resolution is that I never need to run in that configuration, and if I did, I would choose what sounds best.

Good luck, if you would like to contact me personally, feel free to email me at pboulang@gmail.com and I will take the time to to to recreate.confirm anything you want. You are not alone, at least one person in this world will confirm your 'bug' smile

--paul

#56487 - 11/26/05 12:19 AM Re: Bugs found, Please help confirm, isolate
pboulang Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

My bad, I found where you specify your fronts. BP 30 isn't on their website, but is referenced in a PDF.. 18-30kHz... wow. I'd classify that as large. smile

--paul

#56488 - 11/26/05 12:18 PM Re: Bugs found, Please help confirm, isolate
Eric A Offline
Gunslinger

I noticed some odd crossover function as well with the fronts set to large. I didn't bother to detail much about it since I went with setting fronts to small.

With fronts set to large and sub = L+R/Sub, if you "roll over" the crossover setting from the high setting of 200Hz to the lowest setting the bass is turned up, and that's not what I would expect.

But, if you then bump up the crossover setting to the next highest freq. and then bump it back down to the lowest setting, it works as you would expect and the bass is not enhanced.

What I mean by "rollover" is that you simply push the up arrow button and cause the 990 to rollover from the highest crossover setting to the lowest.

I figured this was a software glitch, just not one to bothersome to me.

Hope that helps..

#56489 - 11/26/05 12:28 PM Re: Bugs found, Please help confirm, isolate
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Good observation, Eric. If there is a bug with cycling back around from one end of the scale to the other, it would be a potentially simple software fix to restrict adjustment so that you can't go from 200 to 40 or from 40 to 200...

#56490 - 11/26/05 07:32 PM Re: Bugs found, Please help confirm, isolate
TheNetGuy Offline
Gunslinger

Thks for the input eric and others.

Eric please clarify if the bass is turned up in the sub? Or out the mains?

As i see it, With
front = large
and sub = L+R/Sub

When you go from 40-200HZ the bass level Should go up, (in the subwoofer that is) That is a sign of a working system.

The reason being is that, When sub set to (L/R + Sub) The output from the fronts are suppose to be redirected to the sub, and the higher the X-over the more that is redirected to the sub.

Eric can you please do the setting with the x-over with the SUB set to NONE?

Also if you can repeat your test and find where the bass is being increased. either the fronts/ the sub / or both. And easy test is to unplug/disconnect the sub and repeast your tests. That will isolate the fronts to see if the boost is in the fronts, Then do the same with the Fronts, to see if it increase in the sub outputs.

Pehaps there is an issue here as well.

#56491 - 11/27/05 12:26 AM Re: Bugs found, Please help confirm, isolate
Doug917 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shawnee, KS
Netguy,

I had a chance to red the manual for the 990 in its entirity tonight and now see more of where you were going. Sorry I didn't really understand what you were doing and the capabilities of the processor until my reading tonight. Good luck to ya!

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 407 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ Today at 03:13 AM