Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#56502 - 12/18/05 09:18 PM Re: Bugs found, Please help confirm, isolate
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

TheNetGuy,

Welcome to the Saloon!

As one of the occasional Canucks around here, I have posted at length regarding the trials and tribulations of cross-border buying.

FYI the brokerage fees are exorbitantly high when you receive something shipped via UPS Ground. In comparison, USPS/Canada Post rings in at a flat $5.00 for brokerage - regardless of the shipment's value. Unfortuantely, at least the last time I checked, Outlaw insists on shipping via UPS Ground only.

Regarding returned items under warranty: even if you have not bought the item again, when it's returned to you via UPS, they will ding you for brokerage fees again - even though no duties or taxes are due. This is one of the reasons why I feel that UPS sucks royally.

Luckily, the fine print in your warranty likely says (at least mine does for my ICBM and 950 units) that while you must cover the cost to return a unit to Outlaw, they are responsible for covering the shipping costs back to you. UPS' brokerage fees are a form of shipping cost (for example there are none with UPS Air) so Outlaw is responsible. When my 950 was returned for repairs, those great folks at Outlaw cut me a cheque for all of the brokerage fees that I had to pay when the unit came back.

PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy of my "Border Tips" document.

Regards.

Jeff Mackwood

#56503 - 12/19/05 08:06 PM Re: Bugs found, Please help confirm, isolate
quietdragon Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Mackwood:
FYI the brokerage fees are exorbitantly high when you receive something shipped via UPS Ground. In comparison, USPS/Canada Post rings in at a flat $5.00 for brokerage - regardless of the shipment's value. Unfortuantely, at least the last time I checked, Outlaw insists on shipping via UPS Ground only.
Those Canadians living near the appropriate UPS customs brokerage office may be able to avoid the UPS brokerage charge by clearing the shipment yourselves using this technique:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2324067&postcount=3

I only stumbled across this today, so I can't say from personal experience how effective it is. A google search turns up more than one person who claims to have used this method successfully.

#56504 - 01/08/06 04:47 PM Re: Bugs found, Please help confirm, isolate
TheNetGuy Offline
Gunslinger

Unfort UPS brokerage is way too far from edmonton, alberta Canada.

Anyhow, recently Scott has made an 'announcement' as such about bugs,
But Once again There is no confirmations nor denials about the actual bugs.
Just political talk.

What I need is confirmation that the bug exists and they ARE or ARE NOT trying to resolve it.

The reason for this is I want to know if it is worthwhile to Wait for a patch or not, Because IF they are working on a patch, and they are not going to resolve my issues, then the units go back.

Just buy saying 'we are working on it' does not instill confidence to me. They have nothing to account for, as they already have my money. I have seen too many time this 'delay' approach and after time nothing happens.

Or I get the 'we didnt fix that because it is working as intended', even though the manual say indifernt.

OR worse yet, 'we didnt fix that to co-orespond with the manual, so we deleted that option, and changed the manual.

I bought the unit for what it is suppose to do now.

If outlaw is truly serious about fixing these bugs, then they should have no problems backing their words with tangability.

Then if they actually do fix the bugs, then all is AOK.
ut if they daddle, or dont fix em, We have some tangable gains to compensate us for the units current status. Not what it might not do later.

Scott I have updated my trouble ticket with options.

I am going to make a Point form ASAP That is easy to answer ASAP, and edit this post/repost in this thread, that i would like to see filled in.

It will be like a multiple select sheet.

Outlaw simple has to understand that what we are looking for is just a confirmation of the bugs, and If they have any plans on trying to fix that specific bug.

Actually I just need the confirmation of the bug, so that I know my unit is not faulty compared to the rest of the units.

I cannot comprehand Why Oh why I cannot get a simple YES or NO whether my unit is unique, Or the same issues are affecting:

a. All the units,
b. only the newer units.
c. Only my unit

I REALLY REALLY cannot understand WHY i cant get an answer for this.

Under the assumption that the people at Outlaws are smart individuals,
They probably already understand what i am looking for, But for some reason they are 'tipy toeing around the direct answer' Which raises a concern why we are not getting the answers. This leads me to believe their is something amiss, And normally this is because it is bad.

Since we are on the outlaw forums, I am afraid of hitting a wrong chord and getting the post deleted.

#56505 - 01/08/06 11:45 PM Re: Bugs found, Please help confirm, isolate
dormie1360 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Louisville, KY
Quote:
Since we are on the outlaw forums, I am afraid of hitting a wrong chord and getting the post deleted.
Huh?. You know.... I think you should just send your 990 back.

#56506 - 01/09/06 02:45 AM Re: Bugs found, Please help confirm, isolate
PodBoy Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by TheNetGuy:
...Just buy saying 'we are working on it' does not instill confidence to me. They have nothing to account for, as they already have my money. I have seen too many time this 'delay' approach and after time nothing happens...
HUH? Where have you seen that here? They have acknowledged that they are working on a patch, and why don't you think they will deliver? Look at the issues with the "white video flash" for their other product and you will see that a patch was promised and then delivered.

When did Outlaw make a promise and not deliver?

Quote:
Originally posted by TheNetGuy:
...Since we are on the outlaw forums, I am afraid of hitting a wrong chord and getting the post deleted.
THe post is here, as is everything else about issues with their products. What makes you think it would be deleted?

#56507 - 01/09/06 07:14 AM Re: Bugs found, Please help confirm, isolate
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
Netguy,

If I were you, I'd just return the product and get something that makes you happy. Life's too short.

As for "naughty" posts being deleted, I don't think I've seen or heard of that being done. I periodically bitch about the oft mentioned firmware fixes for the 990 and those posts are still there. 8-)

Given the rather lengthy span of time since I first heard about a firmware update (during the summer), I suspect it isn't high on the Outlaw priority list or that they've encountered a snag with the software or perhaps even a hardware-related issue with the Sherwood underpinnings. It's hard to say what the actual issue is since only Outlaw knows for sure and they're not sharing that information.

My overall impression with Outlaw's service has been positive, but I do share your frustration in this particular instance.

Cheers,

#56508 - 01/09/06 07:36 AM Re: Bugs found, Please help confirm, isolate
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
There is a clear interest here in the forum in getting some sort of official report on the exact issues identified with bass management, as well as of course an interest in finding out the exact status of a patch. The specifics on the patch may not be forthcoming (I do not expect them to offer any firm dates unless they have code they trust in hand), but Outlaw has acknowledged that there are issues that must be addressed. A more detailed announcement may be in order in light of the recent discussions here.

The only instances where I have seen Outlaw remove posts from this forum have been when the content was severely offensive - either a slur perceived to insult an entire group of people or a nasty personal attack. They've always let forum members say whatever they want to about Outlaw equipment, for better or for worse. Your post is safe.

#56509 - 01/09/06 07:55 AM Re: Bugs found, Please help confirm, isolate
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
I’m not in your shoes, NetGuy, so I don’t have your choice to make. Nor would I tell you what choice to make. My two cents: from the vantage point of watching Outlaw for a few years now and owning three of their products, I would say that they will do what it takes to offer excellent gear at great prices, including any necessary software/firmware revisions through to hardware retrofits. These corrections may not be the most convenient for everyone, but at the figurative ‘end of the day,’ equipment problems have always been worked out and the Outlaw performance-for-price advantage is maintained.

#56510 - 01/12/06 08:23 PM Re: Bugs found, Please help confirm, isolate
TheNetGuy Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk hit it on the head, I need confirmation.

Many greate poster here, Thks for the great responses.

BUt for the few trolls.
I am sorry, no matter how formal I try to be I get flak from certain people.

Once again i will put this into perspective, I am fed up and going to spit it out in as basic form as possible to try to teach the certain people on this site. For all other that are good on the site, please ignore the rants below.

1. I need to know if my unit is the only one affected by these bugs, AKA DOA
This is why i need confirmation of these bugs from outlaw.

2. IF i find out that these bugs are only affecting my unit And it is DOA, then I will get another unit shipped to me.

3. IF i find out that it affects multiple units the same, I will keep the unit, then i can rely on outlaw to come up with a patch to fix it in the near future.
--------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------
I really do not understand Why people read into my posts. IT IS SIMPLE. Read the above 3 points.
That is all this is about. SIMPLE.

As of yet I have NOT been able to get any confirmation on the above posted bugs.

I have been told that engineers have been working on them, But I have not heard a response yet.

I really do not know how it is taking soo long to simply plug in the unit and test them out to confirm them or deny them.

I am NOT looking for a solution right now, I am looking for a confirmation to find out if my unit is unique and DOA.

=============================================================

RANT ON
I do not understand why i am getting so much flak from certain induviduals on this site. I guess they just don’t understand simple requests, nor understand the long winded posts about me explaining WHY i make the requests. I guess there is no hope in teaching these people to begin with.
---------------------------------------

As for the post about 'just return it' This is the worse thing that could happen for PR. Everyone loses. I lose 250 bucks for the brokerage + shipping (unless they cover brokerage) And they lose a customer that is brand loyal. All of this because i cannot get a confirmation tha tthe bugs above are affecting others or just my unit. I do not wnat to spend 250 buck because of other ignorance.

Unless i get a confirmation on the unit i will never know if it a bad product(my bad unit) or just a firmware issue.. Thus i will inform all others of my experiences. based on a bad product.
And my rant would be that I could not get a simple SIMPLE confirmation on the bugs i reported.

to podboy,

As for the "I have seen too many time this 'delay' approach and after time nothing happens."

I was referring to OTHER companies, NOWHERE in the post did i say that outlaw did it. I only stated that I have experienced it beofre and do not want outlaw to do it to me.

But now that i think about it... THEY ARE DOING IT RIGHT NOW. How can you be so blatantly ignorant on this fact and defend something that is happening right now.

To clarify this...
My first post was on NOVEMBER 25, and it is now jan 12. and as of now i have not got any confirmation whether or not this is a known bug that affect all unit/ or just my unit.

As for the
"They have acknowledged that they are working on a patch, and why don't you think they will deliver? "

IT not that 'i dont think they can deliver', it has to do with WHAT are they going to deliver.
If they do not confirm the bugs/issues then how do they know they are working on them.

I would even be happy with a 'Yes it is affecting others , and no we are not going to fix it'

At least i can confirm that the issues DOES exist on other units.

Perhaps my unit is DOA and is the only one that is affected.... Until i get a confirmation, I will never know.

HMMM, trolls like you should not blatantly post comments that do not help the situation, By attacking me with your ignorant posts this causes nothing but anger adn flamwars. Learn from the other great helpful posters and keep this post on track. You are too emotional and too fast to jump the gun, relax a little.

RE Read my posts above, I even gave HOW TO TESTS of teh bugs. And as of yet I have not got any confirmations from Outlaw that this is an isolated incidet, or affecting others.

It is so easyfor other to thing you are a good companie when you help with little thing asap, But it is terrible to see this 'good' company not able to do such a simple task. Can you explain why this is?

#56511 - 01/13/06 09:50 AM Re: Bugs found, Please help confirm, isolate
The Capt Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wisconsin
Netguy,

I understand your problems, and I think your situation is even worse given the brokerage fees.
I for one have accepted that Outlaw knows there is a problem and are working on it. I am going to trust them that a solution will be found in a timely manner and keep the unit because I think that a working 990 would be just what I want. But I do agree that not posting what they know shows they (as Don Rumsfeld put it)

"Don't know what they don't know"

I hope that very soon Scott will post with some results of what they "know". We as consumers might be able to help with what they "don't know" if we had a list of what has been confirmed. Everyone gets one chance in my book, some lucky ones get two. I just know this process will take time and one thing is for sure; I have all the documentation of this issue in copy. If 2 months from now there is still no fix, or if the fix does not work...quoting another famous American:

"Houston, we have a problem" and all hell will break loose.
Pioneer DV578A (SACD,DVD-A)
Monster HT3500MKII
X Box, Samsung HLN-4667W
Energy C-9 (mains)
Energy C-C1 (center)
Proficient C645 (surr)
Hsu VTF2MKII Sub

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 433 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ Today at 03:13 AM