Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#56402 - 11/11/05 12:46 PM 990 Initial impressions....
daleda Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, Texas
Nice job Outlaw Audio - affordable performer! The installation was a breeze - very nicely thought out user interface. To be honest, I considered this processor as an inexpensive alternative (to the Anthem AV30 or Cary Cinema 6) and would serve it's duties as a "stop gap" until all the various formats get sorted out. In fact, I would have kept my Krell HTS (5.1) but it's quirky behavior (loss of incoming signal lock on HDTV/cable box feeds, no component switching, and system freeze ups) finally just made be wonky! I only use an AV processor for DVD/HDTV-Cable duties so my needs are fewer than most. I have to say I am surprised (much the same the pro reviewer remarked as how it held itself up against his reference Lex MC12). This is my initial impression also (w/ regards to the Krell). I think comparisons are a little hard to do as "everything" is system and "room" dependant IMO - so for those who are interested (like I was) in this processor - I think it lives up to it's initial reviews (few of them that there are). I, like several here on this board, did have some interesting "initial" experiences with the auto-set up (wildly erratic behavior) - ended up doing it with my trusty RS meter to good results. Then, this am, I tried the auto sequence again, and this time better results (close to my manual ones). One thing I do find interesting is the db Volume Output - it is a good 10db lower than my previous processors (normal being 28-32db and the 990 being 18-20db) - curious about that one. The channel steering and transparent quality of the various formats is quite good IMO - I think one would be "hard-pressed" to find something similar in this price range (or 1K above for that matter). As a few parting thoughts, it is certainly a "big" unit and the appearance is "industrial" but I find it fine (mine is in an enclosed rack) - and something really important is the noise floor (which I am very particular about) - it is "black" in my system - very quiet! I guess it depends on what you're looking for - I think the 990 will do it's job nicely in my system.

#56403 - 11/11/05 03:35 PM Re: 990 Initial impressions....
PodBoy Offline
Gunslinger

Curious: What speakers and amps are you using?

#56404 - 11/11/05 04:14 PM Re: 990 Initial impressions....
daleda Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, Texas

Who's Online
0 registered (), 256 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM