Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#56374 - 11/04/05 05:45 PM 990 ordered
daleda Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, Texas
Hello everyone - just joined you're forum and am awaiting my 990. This will be my 4th processor (Sony TAE 9000ES, EAD Signature, Krell HTS, and now the 990). Why would I change you ask? Let me say I "only" use the AV processor for AV duties - DVD and HDTV (I have a separate 2 channel preamp for PCM/SACD and vinyl). The Sony was an adequate pre but "long in the tooth" by today's many format standards - the EAD was "very good" but the user interface was just horrible (what were they thinking) - and finally the Krell was absoultely stellar (but again only 5.1 and "very" cranky with signal dropout, "pops", and software glitches galore. The Sony was the only processor I purchased "new" - the others came and went via Audiogon at fair used prices. After reading all of your posts here and some rather exhaustive research (AVSforums mainly-also under the Sherwood P 965 moniker) - I've decided to give the 990 a try. I'll report my findings as I get the unit dialed in (for amusement and/or otherwise). My system is registered at Audioasylum under daleda-HT/2 Channel under inmate systems for those interested where the 990 is headed. FYI - the final contenders in this search were the Anthem AV20 or 30, Cary Cinema 6, and of of course the Krell 7.1 (ridiculously priced IMO). I think the Outlaw folks have really done us all a favor here (especially until all these various formats get figured out) and they do seem to hold about 60% of their value and the 5 year transferable" warranty is a really sweet addition to an already sweet price/performance ratio. This seems an inexpensive way to try some more up-to-date technology without having to "hock" the kids.

#56375 - 11/04/05 09:50 PM Re: 990 ordered
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Welcome to the neighborhood, daleda. Make yourself at home. I think you'll enjoy your 990.

#56376 - 11/27/05 10:14 AM Re: 990 ordered
allenr Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Midwest USA
Hi All,

Well you are about a month ahead of me. This will be my 4th as well, Carver CT17, McIntosh MX130, Meridian 565, and now the Outlaw. I am hoping that it integrates well with the switching capabilities of my DVDO upscaler. The Meridian does not as it's video switching is limited and it also has that annoying "pop" on signal switching, but I will miss the TRIFIELD mode. I hoping the Outlaw's processing is first rate. Waiting...while dreading recabling.

#56377 - 11/27/05 11:31 AM Re: 990 ordered
daleda Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, Texas
So far I'm very happy with the 990 - it does what the Outlaws say it does. As to the video switching, I run my HDTV cable box and DVD player thru the component in/out with flawless performance (and none of the dreaded "clicks" on capturing signals). I'll be curios about your use of the "auto" calibrate system. My experience with it was uneven at best (setting speakers small when they were supposed to be large and setting the gain entirely too low). I ended up using my trusty RS SPL meter and everything worked out fine in the end. My room is acoustically treated and I know it pretty well from using the other processors, so the auto calibrate mode is still a bit of a mystery to me (my old EAD Signature processor had a similar type of system and it never worked very well either-and this on a high dollar processor)! That said, the overall user interface of the 990 is one of the very best I've encountered with any processor I've owned (or experienced up close in friend's systems -which pretty much covers the full spectrum - low-end to HE). I'll end by saying I never paid too much attention to all the DSP modes in the various processors - found them to be too processed sounding for my old 2 channel analog ears (so that is my bias) - so this was one of the selling points on the 990 for me as it is pretty straightforward with DD, DTS, and DPL II modes. For now, the 990 is doing it's job nicely (and lets me forget about it) and hence, enjoy the throughly enjoyable software coming to my screen.

#56378 - 11/28/05 10:01 AM Re: 990 ordered
gband Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Central NJ
I've had my 990 for about 2 months and so far I love it. This weekend I tried the auto calibrate as well and it didn't work for me in all cases. It did a fine job on the center and rears, but the mains were way off. The mains are symetrical with the listening position and 11 feet each from it. The system said the left was at 12 feet (not bad) but said the right was at 1ft! So out came the tape measure and RS SPL meter and quickly fixed the parameters.

I also did some playing with my DEQ 2496 RTA to fix some bad room modes, but after reading some other posts about the x-over settings and Large main settings (I don't have a sub), I need to revisit how that is set up. That may fix some of my bass issues. The mains are JM Labs with a transmission line design so they are very position sensitive, and produce a lot of bass. But in my new room they get very annoying in the bass region, too much bloom at certain frequencies. Sound like the SMS1 is what I need as well. So much to try.....

#56379 - 11/28/05 11:08 AM Re: 990 ordered
allenr Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Midwest USA
Hi,

Has anyone tried a different microphone than the one provided ? How well matched is the mic to the frequency sweep of the test signal ? I would think that mics have frequency and response time limitations like anything else. Would a "SUPERMIC" make a difference?

Thanks!

waiting and chomping...

#56380 - 11/28/05 02:40 PM Re: 990 ordered
westy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boston MA
I wouldn't count on using a "better" microphone, my guess is that the preamp is designed around the microphone's behavior.

#56381 - 11/28/05 04:47 PM Re: 990 ordered
gband Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Central NJ
This is just speculation but since the autocalibration is only setting distance, LF x-over and amplitude, using a better mic won't make a difference. As westy said it works with the one supplied, as long as it has decent response it will do the job.
Having said that using a full spectrum RTA does require a calibrated mic so if you plan on doing some addition frequency tweaking then a better mic into your RTA is required.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 256 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM