Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#56358 - 11/04/05 06:47 AM Multirack sources being auto downmixed to PCM
Oscillate Offline
Gunslinger

Goal: 5.1 sound output from digital optical/coaxial audio input please.

Problem: 990 recognizes/defaults to PCM output when multitrack media files are played. This occurs regardless of whether MP3 music is played via WinAmp 5.1 Surround Edtn or avi movies played via ZoomPlayerWMV Pro 4.5. This leads me to believe that it is not a codec issue. I have not rented/played a digital multitrack DVD yet. (If I listen to FM radio then all surround mode options are available and output is 5.1 sound)

Misc Info: I just traded-in/upgraded from a 1070 receiver to the 990/7125 combo. Had great 5.1 sound output (via digital coaxial or optical connection) with the 1070, or 1070 pre-outs to the 7125. I believe that the 990/7125 also briefly output 5.1 sound until I changed a setting somewhere? I have since used the 'RESET' option and still the 990 recognizes/defaults immediately to PCM and 2 channel output.

Setup: Outlaw 990/7125, speakers 5.1, PC with Creative SB Audigy2 ZS Platinum, optical TOS link cable.

Configuration: Soundcard configured for digital output to the OPT1 input of 990. Internal crossover of the powered subwoofer is turned off. No video input to the 990 (...since both the PC's graphics card and LCD moitor will natively display 1920P X 1080P). 990 configured as follows

Main Menu
~~~~~~~~~~~
-Input Config/Go To Audio Inputs/AUX/ ...from here I only have bypass, upsample or PCM 96/24 ST as the available choices. More choices are available BEFORE I try to play any media file, but immediately upon playing media or afterwards, ONLY these choices show up. Initially I choose PLII Movie or PLII Music. The same thing happens if I try to configure the OPT1 input to one of the video input config settings and play a media file.

-Speaker Size/ Front L/R, Center, Surr L/R all set to Large. Subwoofer: L/R+Sub.

-Speaker X-Over/ Front L/R, Center, Surr L/R all set to 60Hz.

-Surround Config/ ...factory default settings.

-Channel Calibration/ ...factory default settings. (0db).

-Delay Adjust/ Front L/R 10Ft, Center and Sub 8Ft, Surround L/R 5 Ft.

-System Config/ OSD Time Out: On, Display Time Out: On, Volume Default: Default, Default Vol Set: -25db, all other settings are factory defaults.

-Multi-Room Config/ ...factory default settings (Off).

ANY and ALL ideas, suggestions, questions or deserved ridicule gladly accepted. Thankyou for your time.

#56359 - 11/04/05 03:15 PM Re: Multirack sources being auto downmixed to PCM
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
This is an odd problem, and unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with using a PC as a transport for multichannel sources to have any particularly good advise.

It sounds like the 990 is seeing something odd about the input signal if it is excluding surround modes from the list. Have you tried using the surround mode buttons on the remote to change modes while the source is playing? I'd be curious to know if the 990 allows Pro Logic IIx that way. Also, have you made any changes to the source computer?

I'd definitely also try playing a DVD to see what the 990 does with that.

#56360 - 11/04/05 03:59 PM Re: Multirack sources being auto downmixed to PCM
Prefect Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
What do you mean when you say "multitrack sources" in your subject?

Unless something on your PC is encoding to Dolby Digital or DTS in realtime, you will only be outputting PCM from the PC over a digital link. I don't believe the Audigy has DDL (Dolby Digital Live!).

It shouldn't stop you from using Dolby Pro Logic II in a 5.1 system (or IIx in a 7.1 system) to decode matrixed surround (Winamp Surround Edition does - I'm not familiar with it). What happens if you tap the Surround mode button, and then up or down arrows on the front of the 990? That should let you cycle through surround modes while you have music playing.

If you're trying to get discrete 5.1 output from your PC into your 990, you'll need to do it with analog I'm afraid, and go into the 7.1 direct inputs.

#56361 - 11/05/05 05:37 AM Re: Multirack sources being auto downmixed to PCM
Oscillate Offline
Gunslinger

Finally able to rent and play a DVD recorded with Dolby digital audio. Played it with Theater TEK DVD player (software which uses it's own audio & visual codecs). The 990 immediately recognized it and TADA! output great 5.1 sound.

"What do you mean when you say "multitrack sources""?
Probably not the correct way to say it. I was refering to AV files with 2.1/5.1/7.1/etc... sound.

"I don't believe the Audigy has DDL (Dolby Digital Live!)"
It has internal codecs for Dolby Digital EX and DTS ES. Or you can use the SPDIF passthrough and alow the 990 to decode the audio. Which is what I'm doing.

Anyway, THANKS folks for your replies smile Just being able to write down the specifics of the problem and having a supportative forum really helps!

...as for me, well I'm off to read about configuring 'ffdsow' codecs and the ensuing several hours worth of fustration it will bring.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 317 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Veeper 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics
98,700 Posts