Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#56258 - 10/12/05 10:07 AM how do you assign video to the 7.1
gravespc Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: korea
i'm really new to multi-channel and just got my 990 in today - i can't seem to assign video to the sacd out on my sony. in fact i can't seem to get more than two channels to playback when i'm playing an sacd. i'm hopeless, i know. i do have the coax hooked up along with the six analog cables on the 5.1 out. i've doubled check all cables. please help! thanks!
Sony NS999ES
B&W 805, HTM2, SMC1
Kimber hero, silverstreak interconnects
Coblat cable speakerwire
Monstercable HTS 5100

#56259 - 10/12/05 03:29 PM Re: how do you assign video to the 7.1
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'll give the full, boring details approach to getting it hooked up - hopefully I'll point out a setting or connection that will get you on track. First, I'd run six analog audio cables from the NS999's multichannel analog audio output to the 990's 7.1 direct input (you'll leave the left and right surround back inputs empty at the 990). I'd also run a coaxial digital cable from the 999 to the 990 for use with regular DVD's. If your display supports component video, I'd run component cables from the 999 to the 990 (going to the DVD component video input). If it doesn't support component, I'd use whatever the best video cable it does support (s-video if possible, composite if necessary) - this is because the 990 will not convert down from component to s-video or composite (although it will convert s-video and composite to component). Also keep this in mind - if you are using s-video or composite, you will need to run a separate s-video or composite cable to the 7.1 Direct's video input. If you are using component, you can use the DVD component input and don't need to make a separate run. You'll also need to connect the 990's monitor video output to the TV, of course. Once all that is done, go into the 990's menu (getting there will let us make sure the monitor video out is working, since the menu run through the OSD). Go to the first option (input config) and select the "7.1 Direct" input (bottom of the first list, just above the option to go to audio inputs). Several items on 7.1 Direct input cannot be edited (input name, audio, and surround mode), but you can select the video input. If you are using a component video cable, pick the "COMP-DVD" option. If you are using s-video or composite, you'll want to select whichever you're using. Once all that's done, you should be able to pick "7.1 Direct" and see the 999's video and hear multichannel audio. One thing to look out for with SACD, though, is that there are a significant number of SACD titles that are stereo only - make sure you've got a multichannel SACD disc as well.

Feel free to disregard all steps that you've already done and use any steps that help, and let us know if there's still a problem.

#56260 - 10/13/05 02:04 AM Re: how do you assign video to the 7.1
gravespc Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks Gonk...you are truely a master. i've got video now - but still stuck with 2 channel. i've got a multi channel sacd in - i've got the 999es set on multi. have i missed something? i've re-checked all cables (i've also ran the auto setup, so i know that all speakers all working. in fact i've to no problem with dvd's or my xbox - they both come through with the surround. i do see a red icon in the 990 display that sits right next to the "7.1 direct" that looks like a speaker and it's in red. the manual makes no mention of it. in fact i'd love a description of all the icons in the display (maybe later). i will look forward to any other advice you can give!
Sony NS999ES
B&W 805, HTM2, SMC1
Coblat cable speakerwire
Monstercable HTS 5100

#56261 - 10/13/05 02:41 AM Re: how do you assign video to the 7.1
gravespc Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

sorry - user error. i went into the 999es setup and found that the rears were turned off. i'm using kimber hero (with a wbt-0144 connector) and found that the connector had been turned a couple of times and really was not connected. totally fixed and what sweet sound it is. thanks again!
Sony NS999ES
B&W 805, HTM2, SMC1
Coblat cable speakerwire
Monstercable HTS 5100

#56262 - 10/13/05 07:19 AM Re: how do you assign video to the 7.1
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Excellent!

There is an interestingly large array of indicators on the display. The red speaker indicator should be on any time that the pre-amp outputs are active - if you switch to the headphone jack (hold down mute for a few seconds), that indicator will go off. Maybe while I'm off tomorrow, I'll see if any other interesting display tidbits catch my eye.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 261 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward, jamescuz
8713 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,713 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM